Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How long do you keep your finished and already delivered translations?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 9, 2007

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How long do you keep your finished and already delivered translations?".

This poll was originally submitted by Heloisa Ferreira

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new pol
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How long do you keep your finished and already delivered translations?".

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 01:55
English to German
+ ...
I do a bilingual term extraction and Jul 9, 2007

HI! and improve my TMs and glossaries. Later take a backup and put the working files on a DVD. Brandis

Claudia Aguero
Claudia Aguero  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 17:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
Forever Jul 9, 2007

..unless a PC accident erases them.
My clients sometimes ask for documents I translated several years ago. They just assume it's my obligation to have them in the PC, so I decided not to erase my translations.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:55
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
At least two years Jul 9, 2007

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629

I keep them all for at least two years, backed up on floppies, and sometimes forever if they contain useful information that I can re-use - e.g. the format of French company tax declarations - what a lot of work that saves!
I feel sure there's already been a forum about this.
Kind regards,
Jenny.

Eliza-Anna
Eliza-Anna  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:55
Danish to English
+ ...
on CD Jul 9, 2007

Up until now I have been keeping my old assignments for two years, but I am beginning to think it is wiser to keep them indefinitely just in case I may need to refer back to them. Trouble is space!

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Ten years Jul 9, 2007

In Germany, any and all business correspondence, jobs, invoices, and other documents relating to your business affairs have to be stored for ten years.

Sonja

Mariam Osmann
Mariam Osmann
Egypt
Local time: 02:55
Member (2007)
English to Arabic
+ ...
I don't delete them Jul 9, 2007

..unless a PC accident erases them.

Really happened!

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Deja vu? Jul 9, 2007

Haven't we seen a poll like this already?

Storage space is cheap.
Whatever I don't keep on my hard drive I dump on quality DVDs.

Some old translations I reuse heavily because they are ongoing projects or continuations. To erase them would be like erasing TMs or throwing away dictionaries.

What's the point of erasing old stuff? We all know some of our early works may be a bit embarassing, but who knows when they may come in handy?

The only
... See more
Haven't we seen a poll like this already?

Storage space is cheap.
Whatever I don't keep on my hard drive I dump on quality DVDs.

Some old translations I reuse heavily because they are ongoing projects or continuations. To erase them would be like erasing TMs or throwing away dictionaries.

What's the point of erasing old stuff? We all know some of our early works may be a bit embarassing, but who knows when they may come in handy?

The only reason to erase something is when you are required to do so by the client for security/ confidentiality reasons.
I did, in fact, lose a few files I kept on floppy disks ages ago. They were zipped and Norton Unerase could not save them - I recovered the files but they were corrupt.

Pawel Skalinski
Collapse

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Jul 10, 2007

...until I mislay them if on paper, or my computer "cleans" them for me.

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 19:55
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Always nice to see where you have been Jul 10, 2007

Apart from the obvious reasons for keeping files forever, I find it reassuring to see all those folders containing files I've translated. We as translators are lucky that we can carry our whole career "on our backs", as it were.

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:55
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
On the other hand... Jul 10, 2007

PAS wrote:

What's the point of erasing old stuff?

Pawel Skalinski

I can think of a handful of reasons. For example, if you translate people's medical records, medical test results, etc., there are confidentiality issues.

If I were to carry my entire work history on my laptop computer and someone stole it, there would be potential privacy violations. Or if I were to die, I would have little control over what would happen to any older confidential data sitting on my desktop PC at that time.

That said, I do keep old projects for several years, not only for reference purposes but to use as evidence if a lawsuit should ever arise based on something I translated.

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 20:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
I don't delete them Jul 10, 2007

I even have many many translations in AmiPro and a couple in Multimate. Aghghghg!!!

Sandra Petch
Sandra Petch
French to English
+ ...
You never know when you or someone else may need that file! Jul 10, 2007

Claudia Aguero wrote:

My clients sometimes ask for documents I translated several years ago. They just assume it's my obligation to have them in the PC, so I decided not to erase my translations.

Just yesterday I was asked if I could email a translation I did almost three years ago as no-one could lay their hands on the file. It's easy to back-up on (ahem, disks) or CDs and they don't take up much storage space!

Oh, I only keep the translations, never the originals. Does anyone keep both?

[Edited at 2007-07-10 15:24]

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Storage Jul 10, 2007

I try to store them forever because my clients could need them later unless I have signed special contracts specifying to delete them after the delivery.

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Interesting results Jul 10, 2007

While most of us seem to hold on to our translated materials for a variety of reasons (I am one of those who keeps everything, storage is cheap), more and more often I am being asked to sign contracts that demand that I erase everything from my had drive relating to projects that have finished, and I wonder how others are dealing with this issue.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How long do you keep your finished and already delivered translations?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »