tageditor started to insert placable tags as normal text??
Thread poster: Ömer Maraş
Ömer Maraş
Ömer Maraş
Türkiye
Local time: 08:22
German to Turkish
+ ...
Aug 26, 2008

hi folks,
am using SDL Trados 2006, and some time ago (with no conceivable reason whatsoever) my tageditor started to insert the placeables (tags) as normal text as in

when I copy source.
what could be the cause, and how could I correct this??

thanks in advance!

Omer

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 07:22
English to Dutch
+ ...
CDATA Aug 26, 2008

omermaras wrote:
what could be the cause??

Due to the CDATA tag, I should think. They are used to introduce text that shouldn’t be read as tags but taken ‘literally’. And that’s exactly what TE is doing, while trying to make up for the inexplicable presence of the CDATA by keeping the tags External and correcting the closing tags (in the segment you copied, the source contains two identical closing tags; TE has rendered them as you would expect, i.e. two different tags)

I’d contact the client, patiently asking why they put those CDATA in there, while expecting the worst. I don’t think they should be there but in all likelihood they’ll want to keep them.
It’s what clients do; not old TagEditor.

Ömer Maraş
Ömer Maraş
Türkiye
German to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no no.. it's not the CDATA Aug 28, 2008

actually, it started to act this way in the middle of a project.... while it was acting normal before...
I thought maybe it's because I have added the ini file for SDL Passolo exported xml files.. and duly removed that ini from both TWB and Tageditor lists, but nothing changed...
tageditor now acts this way for everything - not only this job (with the CDATA), but also for others....

and: this CDATA file works normal on another PC with the same trados built installed...

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
PL DATA Aug 28, 2008

the ini file

In that case I'd go back to the ini file and redefine the PL DATA element, with any attributes, as External.

This won't have any effect within the xml.ttx you're working on; to have it work you'd need to go back to the original xml.

From the look of it, that PL DATA acts a bit as a line break (or any such bit that shouldn't be bothering you), and you'll be better of when it's kept out of the segments. (You'll never need to translate "Attention!" again.)

TE seems to be very confused right now as to how to treat the element.

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
hit Enter Aug 28, 2008

In that case

You could as well insert a paragraph ending (before and) after each PL DATA group in the TTX (unprotect document first) without going to the ini or the xml.

From the look of it they only serve to begin a new line (PLDATAbackslash n) and tab that line (PLDATAbackslash t).

Ömer Maraş
Ömer Maraş
Türkiye
German to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
where to change the setting..? Aug 28, 2008

where do I redefine the PL DATA element in the ini file in tageditor...
here???

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

tageditor started to insert placable tags as normal text??

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »