Studio 2011: Importing Excel columns into a TM
Thread poster: Zamjestnanec
Zamjestnanec
Zamjestnanec
Local time: 05:51
Sep 11, 2012

Hello everyone,

i did a quick search in the forum, but only found an entry from 2004, since i use Trados Studio 2011, there might be another solution to this:

I have an Excel file, 2 columns, one for the source, one for the target language. I have already translated thousands of terms before considering Trados, and now it would be of course very nice to import both columns as source and target segments. Is there any easy way to do this?

Thanks a lot!
... See more
Hello everyone,

i did a quick search in the forum, but only found an entry from 2004, since i use Trados Studio 2011, there might be another solution to this:

I have an Excel file, 2 columns, one for the source, one for the target language. I have already translated thousands of terms before considering Trados, and now it would be of course very nice to import both columns as source and target segments. Is there any easy way to do this?

Thanks a lot!
Greetings from a total greenhorn in handling Trados,
Stefan
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 10:51
English to Thai
+ ...
SDLX 2007 Sep 11, 2012

SDL Maintenance (in SDLX 2007) [in T2011 bundle] gives easy way to import tab-delimited file [converted from Excel --> Save as Unicode] into TM > Export to TMX or upgrade to T2011 TM.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Well.... Sep 11, 2012

... seeing as you're using Studio here's a way to it with Studio

See more
... seeing as you're using Studio here's a way to it with Studio

http://multifarious.filkin.com/2012/07/01/studiogems1/

http://multifarious.filkin.com/2012/07/10/creating-a-tm-from-a-termbase-or-glossary-in-sdl-trados-studio/

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Zamjestnanec
Zamjestnanec
TOPIC STARTER
Translation memory for the imported Excel file Sep 11, 2012

Hello Paul,

thanks a lot for your advice, it worked perfectly fine.

However, there is one thing that doesnt work, and that is the Translation Memory.. I´ve updated the TM, and it should contain about 14000 terms, however, only the first 50 are in there.

Is it possible that this might have something to do with the fact that I am only using the trial version so far? Or is there another reason

Thanks,
Stefan

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Navigation... Sep 11, 2012

Hi Stefan,

Try this page:

http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL_Trados_Studio_2011/client_en/Setting_Preferences/Display/TM/NumberTUsDisplayed.htm

I guess you are only showing the first 50 as the default is 50 at a time.

Regards

Paul

Caroline Charlier
Caroline Charlier  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Member (2011)
German to French
+ ...
THANKS!!! it also works for studio 2015 Sep 28, 2015

Good morning Paul,

thanks ever so much for your help!!!
Caroline

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2011: Importing Excel columns into a TM

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »