Navigating between segments in Trados
Thread poster: Owen Witesman
Owen Witesman
Owen Witesman
Local time: 12:51
Finnish to English
+ ...
Jul 10, 2007

I'm totally new to Trados...have been using Wordfast.

Has anyone figured out a way to make navigating between segments in word easy? Like, oops I need to go back to the previous line...so I push...

I've been using Wordfast where I can just do alt up and alt down, but all the messages I've found posted around on navigating in Trados make it sound like you need like four key strokes. There's got to be a way to have this be easy.

Marion Lurf
Marion Lurf  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:51
English to German
+ ...
Not that I know of... Jul 11, 2007

Hi Owen,

I'm afraid there is no other solution than to close the current segment and re-open the previous one "manually". I too have a habit of going back to previous segments, so if anyone finds a way to do this with a single command/short-cut, please feel free to post it here!

Marion

Marek Buchtel
Marek Buchtel  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 20:51
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not possible Jul 11, 2007

AFAIK, there's no easy way to navigate to the previous segment in Trados. You really need more keystrokes.

The navigation is one of the advantages of Wordfast.

Richard Hall
Richard Hall  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:51
Italian to English
+ ...
Special Macro Jul 11, 2007

Yves Champollion wrote a special word macro that would open the previous Trados segment. I just checked and it appears that the macro is no longer available. If you contact me separately by e mail, I can let you have a copy.

P.S.

Found a copy of the macro on my computer to paste here:

The "back to previous segment" macro to patch Trados Translator's Workbench

Sub tw4winOpenPrevious()
'by Yves Champollion
Dim Here As Long

... See more
Yves Champollion wrote a special word macro that would open the previous Trados segment. I just checked and it appears that the macro is no longer available. If you contact me separately by e mail, I can let you have a copy.

P.S.

Found a copy of the macro on my computer to paste here:

The "back to previous segment" macro to patch Trados Translator's Workbench

Sub tw4winOpenPrevious()
'by Yves Champollion
Dim Here As Long

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

If Not ActiveDocument.Bookmarks.Exists("tw4winFrom") Then
MsgBox "No Trados session in progress!"
Exit Sub
End If

With Selection.Find
.ClearFormatting
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
End With

Here = ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("tw4winFrom").Start

Selection.SetRange Here, Here
If Not Selection.Find.Execute(findtext:="^p", Forward:=False) Then
Selection.Collapse
If Selection.Find.Execute(findtext:="{0>", Forward:=False) Then
Selection.Collapse
Application.Run "tw4winOpenGet.Main"
Exit Sub
End If
End If

MsgBox "Sorry, no previous segment!"
End Sub

To add this macro to your Normal.dot: Use the Tools/Macros/Visual basic Editor menu. A new window opens. Double-click "Normal" on the left side, then "Modules". If no module is present, use the Insertion/Module menu to add a code module. Double-click the code module. In the right side, where the code module opens up, paste the macro.

To associate this macro with Alt+Minus: Back in Ms-Word, use the View/Toolbars/Customize dialog box. Click "KeyBoard" then in "Categories", select "Macro", then select the tw4winOpenPrevious macro. In "New shortcut", type Alt+Minus then click "Assign" and close the dialog box.

[Edited at 2007-07-11 04:48]
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Ando Tools Jul 11, 2007

The freeware Ando tools add-on (http://atools.sunsite.dk/) allows you to go back to the previous segment using a keyboard shortcut (Alt+Ctrl+Num -) if you activate the Enhance Trados feature.

The Ando toolbar has lots of other goodies, too. It's well worth investigating.

HTH

Giles

Marion Lurf
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
Ando tools worked Jul 11, 2007

Thanks to both Richard and Giles for their help. I first tried the macro, but unfortunately I kept getting the message "Sorry, no previous segment!" when running it with a TU open. I couldn't figure out what was wrong, so I then installed Ando tools. Thanks for this, Giles! By the way, just to let you know that at least on my computer, the default short-cut for OpenPrevious is Alt+Num -. The one you mentioned, Alt+Ctrl+Num -, gives me an em dash. I will now go on to explore some of the other fe... See more
Thanks to both Richard and Giles for their help. I first tried the macro, but unfortunately I kept getting the message "Sorry, no previous segment!" when running it with a TU open. I couldn't figure out what was wrong, so I then installed Ando tools. Thanks for this, Giles! By the way, just to let you know that at least on my computer, the default short-cut for OpenPrevious is Alt+Num -. The one you mentioned, Alt+Ctrl+Num -, gives me an em dash. I will now go on to explore some of the other features of Ando tools. Thanks again!

Hope it will also work for you, Owen.

Marion
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Macros and Ando Jul 11, 2007

Hi Marion,

Sorry about the keyboard shortcut, which I just copied out of the Ando Help file: Alt+Num - is right, as the pop-up message for the Enhance Trados function in the Ando menu says.

If you are having difficulty installing Yves' macro, it is described in this ProZ article:

http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/108/

... See more
Hi Marion,

Sorry about the keyboard shortcut, which I just copied out of the Ando Help file: Alt+Num - is right, as the pop-up message for the Enhance Trados function in the Ando menu says.

If you are having difficulty installing Yves' macro, it is described in this ProZ article:

http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/108/

and in the excellent Wordfast manual:

http://www.wordfast.net/zip/wf_en.zip

Cheers,

Giles
Collapse

Owen Witesman
Owen Witesman
Local time: 12:51
Finnish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is it running--keep just getting the dash... Jul 11, 2007

BTW I'm running Office 2007.

I think I've got the Ando stuff installed correctly--the toolbar show up under Ad-Ins with a bunch of little buttons. Under the Ando menu the Enhance Trados checkbox is checked. But when I enter a document and try the keyboard shortcut (Ctrl + minus on the number pad) all I get is an en dash. Any ideas?

Marion Lurf
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
Yes... Jul 11, 2007

Try Alt instead of Ctrl

HTH,
Marion

Marion Lurf
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
@ Giles Jul 11, 2007

Thanks for the links, but since Ando is running so smoothly, I won't even bother playing around with the macro any more. Hope your information will be useful to other people though.

Cheers,
Marion

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Navigating between segments in Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »