Thread poster: Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:55
German to English
Aug 19, 2008

Hallo all you transit experts,
After years using Trados, SDLX and Deja Vu (isn't that enough???) somebody now wants me to use Transit.
If I download the free version, how long do you think it will take me to learn how to use it? Are we talking minutes, hours or days?
Thanks for any assistance you can offer.
Gillian

FHvastija
FHvastija
Slovenia
Local time: 20:55
English to Slovenian
+ ...
It's no problem Aug 19, 2008

Once you've worked with several CATs, you can work with all of them. It does depend on how handy you are with computers in general, but as far as Transit goes, it's very generic.

I wouldn't expect it to be much of a problem for any seasoned CAT user.

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 21:55
English to Turkish
+ ...
Tutorial Aug 19, 2008

Hi Gillian,

You can download and install Transit 3.0 Satellite PE – computer based training program. http://www.star-group.net/star-www/software/transit/star-group/eng/transit_transit-satellite-pe.html It is helpful to understand the basics of Transit Satellite. IMHO it should not take more than 2-3 hrs to learn and
... See more
Hi Gillian,

You can download and install Transit 3.0 Satellite PE – computer based training program. http://www.star-group.net/star-www/software/transit/star-group/eng/transit_transit-satellite-pe.html It is helpful to understand the basics of Transit Satellite. IMHO it should not take more than 2-3 hrs to learn and start translating with Satellite.

However, Satellite is a limited version, so you may consider translating the project using Trados, Deja Vu or another CAT tool (but be ready for any problems).

Selcuk Akyuz
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:55
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Tutorial is good Aug 19, 2008

When watching the tutorial take note of all steps so you don't have to go back to the tutorial too many times
Transit Satellite at least is bug-free. You cannot say that about many CAT-tools.
Regards
Heinrich

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Why don't you CAT-hop? Aug 19, 2008

I serve Transit customers using my own tools. No need for me to buy the full version at this time. I do use the free Satellite version for conversion purposes though.

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:55
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Well I looked at the tutorial Aug 20, 2008

and apart from messing up the shortcuts it should work
I dont fancy CAT hopping until I understand it a bit better

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How long to use transit?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »