Thread poster: Williamson
Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:33
Flemish to English
+ ...
Jan 22, 2009

I have a programme written for Mac. I haven't used Mac since AppleMcIntosh (about 20 years ago). Is there a way to convert the programme written for Mac into a programme which will work with VistaUltimate on a PC?

[Edited at 2009-01-22 11:09 GMT]

Fernando Guimaraes
Fernando Guimaraes  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:33
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Emulator Jan 22, 2009

You may try an emulator.

There are several for free, just type mac emulator on google.

http://www.macwindows.com/macemul.html

http://www.thefreecountry.com/emulators/macintosh.shtml

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:33
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
No. Jan 22, 2009

It would be impossible. The only thing that comes to mind would be running OSX inside VMWare, and installing the software in the virtual machine; though I'm not sure how much that would suit you.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
No. Well...no. Jan 22, 2009

Sorry. Not if you don't have the source code and background knowledge to port the software to the PC environment and compile an executable file out of it.

There seems to be a new method for running Mac OS X and the associated software on standard PCs that has been creating quite a stir in IT circles. It involves a piece of hardware containing what is rumored to be either a plagiarized or reverse-engineered Apple EFI chip and a semi-legally gotten version of Mac OS X. Probably too ex
... See more
Sorry. Not if you don't have the source code and background knowledge to port the software to the PC environment and compile an executable file out of it.

There seems to be a new method for running Mac OS X and the associated software on standard PCs that has been creating quite a stir in IT circles. It involves a piece of hardware containing what is rumored to be either a plagiarized or reverse-engineered Apple EFI chip and a semi-legally gotten version of Mac OS X. Probably too expensive and hard to get, not to mention potentially illegal for your purposes, I would think.

Benjamin
Collapse

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
not really... Jan 22, 2009

to echo techtranslate's answer. Converting software (other than trivial software) from one platform (OS) to another one is not something for laypersons or the faint of heart.

If money is not the main object and you really want to be able to use the program, you might be better off to pick up a (used) Mac. You can also install Windows on any modern Mac (using Boot Camp, which is included with Mac OS X) or run a Windows emulator under Mac OS. Either option may work better than running
... See more
to echo techtranslate's answer. Converting software (other than trivial software) from one platform (OS) to another one is not something for laypersons or the faint of heart.

If money is not the main object and you really want to be able to use the program, you might be better off to pick up a (used) Mac. You can also install Windows on any modern Mac (using Boot Camp, which is included with Mac OS X) or run a Windows emulator under Mac OS. Either option may work better than running your program under a Mac OS emulator on a Windows machine.
Collapse

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
"Convert" is probably not the right word. Jan 22, 2009

Hi Will and all,

I agree with all of the replies, but I should also add that even if you could reverse-engineer or port this software yourself, you'd probably break the intellectual property rights of the manufacturer.

If you really want a Windows version, you should get back to the software company and ask them to port it. If the market is big enough, they might consider.

Though I agree that if you want to run your current program, the simplest way is to p
... See more
Hi Will and all,

I agree with all of the replies, but I should also add that even if you could reverse-engineer or port this software yourself, you'd probably break the intellectual property rights of the manufacturer.

If you really want a Windows version, you should get back to the software company and ask them to port it. If the market is big enough, they might consider.

Though I agree that if you want to run your current program, the simplest way is to pick up an old Mac second hand, they can be had for a penny. Unless it's a really processor hungry application, it should run fine on legacy hardware.

BTW, here's a review of the chip that Ben mentioned:
http://www.testfreaks.com/blog/review/efi-x-usb-v1-reviewed/

Sounds really exciting, although I wouldn't be bothered to do this myself!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Converting a program written for Mac

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »