Webtrans - your thoughts?
Thread poster: Tom in London

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:26
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Jun 17, 2016

Yesterday I was approached by an agency based in Hungary with which I have never worked before. They asked me to translate a very small job (about 500 words) urgently, and to use Webtrans.

I replied that I have never used Webtrans and that given the smallness of the project, it would not be economic for me to purchase, install, and learn Webtrans in less than 24 hours.

They then told me that I wouldn't need to pay for it and that I could use the online version. Quote (the bad English is theirs, not mine): "You don’t have to pay for WebTrans. We’d give you a temporary licence and you could work on our server and it’s really simple software so one can learn it very fast how to use it."

This put me off even more and I did not proceed with the job. We did not even progress as far as me telling them my rate and them replying that it's too high (which always happens).

However I am curious about Webtrans. Is it any good?

I am also suspicious about working online with an agency I don't know. What kind of data about me would they be able to access?

[Edited at 2016-06-17 11:53 GMT]


 

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:26
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Kilgray's ‘WebTrans’? Jun 17, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Yesterday I was approached by agency with which I have never worked before. They asked me to translate a very small job (about 500 words) urgently, and to use Webtrans.

I replied that I have never used Webtrans and that given the smallness of the project, it would not be economic for me to purchase, install, and learn Webtrans in less than 24 hours.

They then told me that I wouldn't need to pay for it and that I could use the online version. Quote (the bad English is theirs, not mine): "You don’t have to pay for WebTrans. We’d give you a temporary licence and you could work on our server and it’s really simple software so one can learn it very fast how to use it."

This put me off even more and I did not proceed with the job.

However I am curious about Webtrans. Is it any good?

I am also suspicious about working online with an agency I don't know. What kind of data about me would they be able to access?

[Edited at 2016-06-17 08:50 GMT]


I assume you mean WebTrans, by Kilgray (the people behind memoQ).

Although I have never used it myself (as I refuse to use online CAT tools), I think it is just a slightly simpler version of the desktop version of memoQ (which I love and use myself).

See: https://www.memoq.com/memoq-webtrans-browser-based-translation


 

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:26
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Why? Jun 17, 2016

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

....I refuse to use online CAT tools...


Why? Are your suspicions similar to mine?


 

Huw Watkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:26
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Translation Memories Jun 17, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Why?


I know you didn't ask me, but as a dedicated CAT user, one of my main objections to web-based CAT tools is that it is sometimes very difficult or impossible to get a copy of my work entered into my own TMs (which may serve me later on another job). Conversely, they also often don't allow you to add your own glossaries, term bases and translation memories either.

I have no objection to connecting into a web-based TM from my CAT client, but aside from having to learn a new CAT in a short space of time - which is a pain, I think web-based CATs are very limiting to your working method in general.

Also I think I mentioned in another post about horror stories around them not only controlling my working method with these web-based solutions, but also how and how much I bill!

[Edited at 2016-06-17 09:30 GMT]


 

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:26
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Ha ha, no, not at all. Jun 17, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

....I refuse to use online CAT tools...


Why? Are your suspicions similar to mine?


Over the years, I've developed a highly optimised system on my own computer*, and so using someone else's online tool would mean I would no longer have access to any of it. Also, online CAT tools are usually not that great.

Michael

* = my own CAT tool (with its termbases, translation memories, corpora, non-translatables lists, segmentation rules, custom spelling lists, etc.), various local dictionary programs, accessible via shortcuts, a plethora of AutoHotkey scripts for automating stuff on my computer, Dragon NaturallySpeaking + KnowBrainer voice command software, etc. etc. etc.

[Edited at 2016-06-17 09:30 GMT]


 

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:26
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
good point! Jun 17, 2016

Huw Watkins wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Why?


I know you didn't ask me, but as a dedicated CAT user, one of my main objections to web-based CAT tools is that it is sometimes very difficult or impossible to get a copy of my work entered into my own TMs (which may serve me later on another job). Conversely, they also often don't allow you to add your own glossaries, term bases and translation memories either.

I have no objection to connecting into a web-based TM from my CAT client, but aside from having to learn a new CAT in a short space of time - which is a pain, I think web-based CATs are very limiting to your working method in general.

Also I think I mentioned in another post about horror stories around them not only controlling my working method with these web-based solutions, but also how and how much I bill!

[Edited at 2016-06-17 09:30 GMT]


It also gives them more control over how much you'll get paid in the end, as they then have full control over word counts, fuzzy counts, etc. Thanks but no thanks.


 

Huw Watkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:26
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Seminar Jun 17, 2016

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

* = my own CAT tool (with its termbases, translation memories, corpora, non-translatables lists, segmentation rules, custom spelling lists, etc.), various local dictionary programs, accessible via shortcuts, a plethora of AutoHotkey scripts for automating stuff on my computer, Dragon NaturallySpeaking + KnowBrainer voice command software, etc. etc. etc.

[Edited at 2016-06-17 09:30 GMT]


Sounds to me like you have some nifty tricks up your sleeve. You should do a seminar showcasing your hotkey short-cuts and what not, I'd definitely attend.

Or write a blog...

Do you use voice recognition in conjunction with your CAT tool then?

[Edited at 2016-06-17 09:41 GMT]


 

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:26
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
:) Jun 17, 2016

Huw Watkins wrote:

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

* = my own CAT tool (with its termbases, translation memories, corpora, non-translatables lists, segmentation rules, custom spelling lists, etc.), various local dictionary programs, accessible via shortcuts, a plethora of AutoHotkey scripts for automating stuff on my computer, Dragon NaturallySpeaking + KnowBrainer voice command software, etc. etc. etc.

[Edited at 2016-06-17 09:30 GMT]


Sounds to me like you have some nifty tricks up your sleeve. You should do a seminar showcasing your hotkey short-cuts and what not, I'd definitely attend.

Or write a blog...

Do you use voice recognition in conjunction with your CAT tool then?

[Edited at 2016-06-17 09:41 GMT]



icon_smile.gif


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Webtrans - your thoughts?

Advanced search







CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search