TMLookup vs AntConc
Thread poster: Danesh
Danesh
Local time: 01:13
English to Farsi (Persian)
+ ...
Jun 25, 2016

Hi
For now I just want to know your informed judgements about “Speed (fast search results)” and “Support for massive databases” features of TMLookup 1.31 and AntConc 3.4.4 compared to each other. Thank you very much in advance for your detailed comments.
Yours,
Danesh

Direct link Reply with quote

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:43
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
the two tools have very different purposes Jun 26, 2016

I don't think anything can get much faster than TMLookup, but … TMLookup is for bilingual resources (tabbed text and TMX), while AntConc is for monolingual txt files. That is, they are two very different programs.

Michael

Danesh
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANK Jun 26, 2016

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

I don't think anything can get much faster than TMLookup, but … TMLookup is for bilingual resources (tabbed text and TMX), while AntConc is for monolingual txt files. That is, they are two very different programs.

Michael

Dear Michael,

First off, THANK YOU very much indeed for your informative comment.

Can't I use TMLookup _ because of its satisfying speed and support for massive files_ for building and working with monolingual corpora?

Best,
Danesh

FarkasAndras
Local time: 23:43
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yes Jun 29, 2016

Danesh wrote:

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

Michael

Dear Michael,

First off, THANK YOU very much indeed for your informative comment.

Can't I use TMLookup _ because of its satisfying speed and support for massive files_ for building and working with monolingual corpora?

Best,
Danesh

Not sure about how AntConc compares to TMLookup, but you can (kind of) make a monolingual database with TMLookup if you want to.
Recommended procedure:
Create a two-column database, uncheck the option to add a source column and name your second column source.
Then, when importing your files, add the file name or as the source information. You can't create a db with only one column; this way at least there will be something useful in the second column.

Danesh
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANKS a million for your procedure Jun 30, 2016

FarkasAndras wrote:
Recommended procedure:
Create a two-column database, uncheck the option to add a source column and name your second column source.
Then, when importing your files, add the file name or as the source information. You can't create a db with only one column; this way at least there will be something useful in the second column.

Dear Michael,
THANKS a million for your procedure. I'll try it.
Regards,
Danehs

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:43
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Give AntConc a try Jun 30, 2016

It really depends on what you want to do. TMLookup is a very useful tool, and allows you to search on large translation memories (or even monolingual files, as suggested).

However, IMHO AntConc is better if what you are trying to do is to search for collocations, n-grams etc: that's what a concordancer is for.

Danesh
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
AntConc's Two biggest limitations: SPEED and SIZE Jul 1, 2016

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

It really depends on what you want to do. TMLookup is a very useful tool, and allows you to search on large translation memories (or even monolingual files, as suggested).
However, IMHO AntConc is better if what you are trying to do is to search for collocations, n-grams etc: that's what a concordancer is for.

Dear Riccardo,
Hi. Thank you for the comment. You're right, but the main problem with AntConc is the issues of SPEED and SIZE limitations! AntConc gets unusably slow or fails completely with large files or massive overall corpus size.
Yours,
Danesh

[Edited at 2016-07-01 06:00 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TMLookup vs AntConc

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search