Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:45
English to German
+ ...
Jul 15, 2004

Hi all,

I am trying to create a response message that is sent automatically to everyone who is trying to contact me during a certain time period when I will be away on holidays.

I will of course notify my regular clients individually, but like to make sure that everybody else who is not yet in my contact list receives a response stating when I will be available again.

Any techies out there who can help me? I'm using Outlook.

Thanks,
... See more
Hi all,

I am trying to create a response message that is sent automatically to everyone who is trying to contact me during a certain time period when I will be away on holidays.

I will of course notify my regular clients individually, but like to make sure that everybody else who is not yet in my contact list receives a response stating when I will be available again.

Any techies out there who can help me? I'm using Outlook.

Thanks,
johanna
Collapse

Sormane Gomes
Sormane Gomes
United States
Local time: 13:45
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Hope this helps. Jul 15, 2004

The Out of Office Assistant is a feature available in Microsoft Exchange Server e-mail accounts. If you use an Exchange e-mail account, you can choose to have the Out of Office Assistant automatically notify people who send you an e-mail message that you are unavailable. The Out of Office Assistant is unavailable in Outlook profiles (Outlook user profile: A group of e-mail accounts and address books. Typically, a user needs only one but can create any number, each with a set of e-mail accounts a... See more
The Out of Office Assistant is a feature available in Microsoft Exchange Server e-mail accounts. If you use an Exchange e-mail account, you can choose to have the Out of Office Assistant automatically notify people who send you an e-mail message that you are unavailable. The Out of Office Assistant is unavailable in Outlook profiles (Outlook user profile: A group of e-mail accounts and address books. Typically, a user needs only one but can create any number, each with a set of e-mail accounts and address books. Multiple profiles are useful if more than one person uses the computer.) without an Exchange e-mail account.

If your profile doesn't include an Exchange e-mail account, you can combine an Outlook e-mail template with Outlook rules to simulate the functionality of the Out of Office Assistant. By using this combination, you can use your POP3 (POP3: A common protocol that is used to retrieve e-mail messages from an Internet e-mail server.) or IMAP (IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol): Unlike Internet e-mail protocols such as POP3, IMAP creates folders on a server to store/organize messages for retrieval by other computers. You can read message headers only and select which messages to download.) e-mail account to send automated replies to incoming messages.

Create a reply message template
Make sure you are not using Microsoft Office Word as the default e-mail editor.
How?

On the Tools menu, click Options.
On the Mail Format tab, under Message format, make sure that the Use Microsoft Office Word 2003 to edit e-mail messages check box is not selected. The built-in Outlook e-mail editor should be used as your default e-mail editor.
Note If you are using Outlook 2002, make sure that the Use Word to edit e-mail messages check box is not selected.

On the File menu, point to New, and then click Mail Message.
In the message window, on the Format menu, click Plain Text.
Note Using HTML or Rich Text format messages might cause problems when sending to recipients whom you have specified in your contacts as plain-text recipients.

When the warning prompt appears, alerting you that you are removing all current formatting, click Yes.

In the message body, type what you want to be sent as your automated reply.
In the message window, on the File menu, click Save As.
In the Save As dialog box, in the Save As Type list, click Outlook Template.
In the File Name box, type a name for your reply template, and then click Save.
Create a rule to automatically reply to new e-mail messages
Do one of the following:

Outlook 2003

On the Tools menu, click Rules and Alerts.
In the Rules and Alerts dialog box, click New Rule.
Click Start from a blank rule, click Check messages when they arrive, and then click Next.
Under Which condition(s) do you want to check?, select the Sent Only To Me check box and any other criteria that you want, and then click Next.
Under What do you want to do with the message?, select the Reply using a specific template check box.
Under Step 2: Edit the rule description (click an underlined value), click a specific template.
In the Select a Reply Template dialog box, in the Look In box, click User Templates in File System. Select the template that you created in the previous section, and then click Open.
Click Next.
Optionally, select the check boxes for any exceptions to the auto-reply rule.
Click Next.
Under Step 1: Specify a name for this rule, type a name for the auto-reply rule, and then click Finish.
Outlook 2002

On the Tools menu, click Rules Wizard.
In the Rules Wizard dialog box, click New.
Under Which type of rule do you want to create?, click Start from a blank rule, click Check messages when they arrive, and then click Next.
Under Which condition(s) do you want to check?, select the Sent Only To Me check box and any other criteria that you want, and then click Next.
Under What do you want to do with the message?, select the Reply using a specific template check box.
Under Rule Description, click the underlined phrase, a specific template.
In the Select a Reply Template dialog box, click the template that you created in the previous section, and then click Open.
Complete the Rules Wizard by following the instructions on your screen.

The Rules Wizard rule reply using a specific template sends the automated reply once to each sender during a session. This rule prevents Outlook from sending repetitive replies to a sender from whom you receive multiple messages. During a session, Outlook keeps track of the list of users to whom it has responded. If you exit and restart Outlook, the list of which senders have received automated replies is reset.

Note Outlook must be running for the Rules Wizard to automatically reply and Outlook must be configured to periodically check for new messages.
Collapse

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:45
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
check with your ISP Jul 15, 2004

Check with your ISP: several offer this freature, which you can set via your account/profile page on their website. The advantage being that you do not have to leave your pc and Outlook running while you are away.

HtH,
Roberta

p.s. remember to set yourself in "nomail" for the mailing lists you are subscribed to and to change your Proz email preferences so as to not receive any notification while you are away!

[Edited at 2004-07-15 06:41]

Omar Osman
Omar Osman
Local time: 01:45
Somali to English
+ ...
Beware of spam Jul 15, 2004

Doing so you could inadvertently replying to all junk mail and virus-attacks emails that arrive in your absence, thereby letting the miscreants know that your address is live. I had an increase of 30% in junk mail after using for a week the "autoresponse service". I suggest that discretion is the better part of valour in this case - let people in your contact list know that you are going away(as you already did).

Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:45
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 15, 2004

to Sormane for the clear and helpful instruction - I created the template, let the Rules wizard do its tricks - only to discover in the last paragraph that I need to leave my computer on while I'm away for it to work!!!!
I'll think that part over for a bit. Thanks also to Roberta and Omar for pointing things out that I would have surely forgotten!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to sent an automatic response in Outlook

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »