Fictional start-up
Thread poster: z-com (X)
z-com (X)
z-com (X)
Local time: 22:55
English to Norwegian
Aug 6, 2005

This may not be the correct place to address my 'problem', as I am embarking on following a dream of translating a fictional work, ie. a book, or preferably the books, of a writer that I have fallen in love with, into my native language, Norwegian. I am starting out completely from scratch, in that I am armed only with a great deal of enthusiasm, beleive in, and a strong will to fulfill a project like this, and my qualifications being born in the US, living in Norway most of my life, examen arti... See more
This may not be the correct place to address my 'problem', as I am embarking on following a dream of translating a fictional work, ie. a book, or preferably the books, of a writer that I have fallen in love with, into my native language, Norwegian. I am starting out completely from scratch, in that I am armed only with a great deal of enthusiasm, beleive in, and a strong will to fulfill a project like this, and my qualifications being born in the US, living in Norway most of my life, examen artium (gymnasium) with studies in language (eng. and ger.), and with a fluent knowledge of both reading, writing and speaking english (and to some degree german). My highest expectations is to have this as an extra income.

From what information I've been able to gather on the subject, I understand that I have to obtain the rights from the foreign publisher to translate it into Norwegian first, and this is my first obstacle: how can I convince a foreign publisher that I am the right person to manage such a task, when I have so little knowledge of the works and how-to's of the business? And how to convince him of my capabilities as a translator, which only is a first-timer, based only on my own feelings and sense of my own work, opposed to a request from an estabished publishing company?

I would in any way need foreign rights first, in order to be able to submit samples of my work to a domestic publisher for interest, wouldn't I? What may be standard procedure in such negotiations, is there a contract involved and does the foreign publisher usually want royalties from the translated deal? Is there anything in particular I should be aware of when addressing the foreign publisher, be sure to mention or avoid?

A fool can ask more questions than 10 wise men can answer, I just feel like I'm somewhat groping around in the dark, and try my luck at this opportunity in this clumsy way to see if I may get a little closer to my goal.

Thanx for any help or answer you may have.

z-com
Collapse

Tsu Dho Nimh
Tsu Dho Nimh
Local time: 14:55
English
It all depends Aug 6, 2005

z-com wrote:
From what information I've been able to gather on the subject, I understand that I have to obtain the rights from the foreign publisher to translate it into Norwegian first,
z-com

You have to get permission, not rights, from whoever has the right to authorize a "derivative work". It may be the publisher, the author, or another party. Start by writing to the publisher of the book to find out who has the right to approve translations.

z-com wrote:
how can I convince a foreign publisher that I am the right person to manage such a task, when I have so little knowledge of the works and how-to's of the business?
z-com

They are far more concerned with it making some money. Find out how much it would cost to publish the book in Norway, expected sales, etc. After they know it's a business proposal, thye can decide on who does the translations.

z-com wrote:
I would in any way need foreign rights first, in order to be able to submit samples of my work to a domestic publisher for interest, wouldn't I?
z-com

Yes, because if you don't have the rights, you are wasting their time. Or convince the Norwegian publisher that there is a market, and they themselves should acquire the rights.

z-com wrote:
What may be standard procedure in such negotiations, is there a contract involved and does the foreign publisher usually want royalties from the translated deal? Is there anything in particular I should be aware of when addressing the foreign publisher, be sure to mention or avoid?
z-com

Of course there will be a contract. Whether the non-Norwegian publisher gets royalties depends on the contract they have with the author ... the author might have most of the rights, in which case you would be negotiating with the author, not the publisher.

Typically, the author or original publisher and the translator get a royalty on the sales.

z-com (X)
z-com (X)
Local time: 22:55
English to Norwegian
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Aug 9, 2005

Thank you for very informative answers, they gave me a foothold from which to set forth on.

z-com

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-08-09 13:34]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fictional start-up

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »