getting established
Thread poster: trufflejus
trufflejus  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 25, 2005

Does anybody have any projects that I might be able to work on and help establish some professional translation experience for myself? I am confident in my abilities and would like to truly dedicate myself to the industry.

Direct link Reply with quote

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 08:07
Jobs board Dec 5, 2005

Doesn't really work like that - nobody is going to give you work if you don't have any information about your skills etc on your profile page.

I understand you are looking for experience, but the best thing to do is to write up a good professional profile page on Proz and a translation-focused CV. Apply for work on the jobs board, as clients may not see your post here.
Good luck.

trufflejus  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Orla! Dec 5, 2005

Orla Ryan wrote:

Doesn't really work like that - nobody is going to give you work if you don't have any information about your skills etc on your profile page.

I understand you are looking for experience, but the best thing to do is to write up a good professional profile page on Proz and a translation-focused CV. Apply for work on the jobs board, as clients may not see your post here.
Good luck.

Thank you so much for replying, Orla. I didn't mean for it to sound like I was asking for a free handout. I had previously received some text to proofread by someone in the business and I was putting out some feelers to see if others needed a hand. I have been answering as many Kudoz questions as my free time allows in order to establish credibility. I am going to pare down my CV to just translation-related experience in the near future.

Thanks again!

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 08:07
no problemo :) Dec 6, 2005

that's cool!
I've had newbies contact me in my language fields before who just assumed I would give them loads of work, contacts etc even though they offered no relevant information about themselves and felt they were entitled to this "spoon-feeding" just because they're new, but somehow it would not occur to them to return the favour... so it's something I feel quite strongly about. Have a look at the CVs here to get an idea about how to present yourself. A translation CV is not entirely the same as a "conventional" CV, as we're service providers/contractors, we are not necessarily looking for in-house full-time employment.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

getting established

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search