Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Switch from Windows to Mac
Thread poster: Willemina Hagenauw

Willemina Hagenauw
Local time: 19:58
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 7, 2017

Hi, I am about to buy a new laptop with all the associated stuff. I always worked with windows but am considering taking a Mac. Has anybody got experience to share with switching. Is a Mac easier/more difficult to use, does software like Trados work on it? I am not very technical so any pointers would be great.

 

CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 20:58
Switched years ago Sep 7, 2017

Willemina Hagenauw wrote:

Hi, I am about to buy a new laptop with all the associated stuff. I always worked with windows but am considering taking a Mac. Has anybody got experience to share with switching. Is a Mac easier/more difficult to use, does software like Trados work on it? I am not very technical so any pointers would be great.


It takes some time to get used, when switching, but there are some good books about this task (like: https://lees.nl/boek/van-pc-naar-mac-overstappen-zonder-valkuilen-druk/ ). I've never regretted the migration.

You can use Trados (via Parallels Desktop or VMware Fusion) but I'd advise you to use a Trados-compatible tool like CafeTran (www.cafetran.com). CafeTran works directly on top of the operating system of the Mac and is beautifully integrated. Reduce complexity and avoid Windows!

Tasks that you can't do in CafeTran (yet*)):
  • Use tracked changes in Studio projects, you can, however, work via Studio's comments.
  • Open termbases: you'll need to ask someone to export them for you.
All other tasks in Trados are perfectly supported in CafeTran!

*) We CafeTran fans hope that both tasks will be added in the near future icon_wink.gif.

[Edited at 2017-09-07 12:45 GMT]


 

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:58
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Switching Sep 7, 2017

The main thing about the MacOS is that **you don't need a computer guy**.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac/how-move-from-pc-mac-3620931/


 

Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:58
Member (2015)
English to French
+ ...
Computer guy Sep 7, 2017

Nice, Tom.

The computer guy allusion reminds me of the two cows metaphor for describing political ideologies.

Or simply the old "I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC" adverts.

So, at least a few years back, I would have added there is a third way:

In GNU/Linux, you don't need a computer guy, you are the computer guyicon_smile.gif

Of course, now, there are Linux distros that pass the "my grandma would run" test, but that's another story.

Jean


 

Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Consider your own experience Sep 7, 2017

Willemina Hagenauw wrote:

Hi, I am about to buy a new laptop with all the associated stuff. I always worked with windows but am considering taking a Mac. Has anybody got experience to share with switching. Is a Mac easier/more difficult to use, does software like Trados work on it? I am not very technical so any pointers would be great.


Besides asking yourself the obvious questions, consider your own experience: are you comfortable learning new software, new maintenance routines, different steps to achieve the same result? Have you considered the possibility that you might be disappointed with the Mac system for a number of unforeseen reasons? What would you do then?

Experiences, enthusiastic or not, from other people, even other translators, can only go so far. You'll have to make the final determination, and decide if the reasons for switching are the right ones for you.


 

Willemina Hagenauw
Local time: 19:58
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 7, 2017

Thanks for all your input. I take note of what you say, Mario. I am not very technical and like things to be straightforward. Maybe, and especially with regard to Trados, which I use a lot, I should stick with Windows rather than make the move.

 

CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 20:58
I think that you should Sep 7, 2017

Willemina Hagenauw wrote:

Maybe, and especially with regard to Trados, which I use a lot, I should stick with Windows rather than make the move.


Sorry for probably misunderstanding your original question!

I think that when you ask yourself the question cited above, you should indeed stick with Windows. Good luck with choosing a nice computer!


 

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:58
German to English
Stick with Windows Sep 7, 2017

Unless you have a compelling reason to switch to the Mac environment (graphics/video editing, etc.), you'll do better to stay with a a computer that runs on Windows. Since you appear to be a basic user, relying mainly on SDL and MS Office products, buying a Mac will not provide you with any advantages. In terms of power and features, your money will go further if you buy a computer that runs on Windows.

 

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:58
Member (2008)
Italian to English
THere's your answer Sep 8, 2017

Willemina Hagenauw wrote:

...I am not very technical and like things to be straightforward..


That's why you will be pleasantly surprised with the MacOS. PC afficionados don't like it because it isn't geeky enough and is too easy to use, without any need for technical expertise.

And if you do ever run into problems, there are excellent forums here:

https://discussions.apple.com/welcome

I have been using the MacOS since 1995. I have never had a virus (and I have never installed any antivirus software). I have never had a problem I couldn't fix myself. My Mac never crashes or freezes or does weird things.



[Edited at 2017-09-08 07:53 GMT]


 

Willemina Hagenauw
Local time: 19:58
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks and Tom... Sep 8, 2017

Thanks for your wonderful replies. Tom, do you use Trados on your Mac?

 

CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 20:58
Extra level of complexity Sep 8, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

Willemina Hagenauw wrote:

...I am not very technical and like things to be straightforward..


That's why you will be pleasantly surprised with the MacOS. PC afficionados don't like it because it isn't geeky enough and is too easy to use, without any need for technical expertise.


Because Willemina wants to use Trados on a Mac, she will have to add an extra level of complexity. In fact she will be using two different operating systems at the same time. Each will have its own updates etc. The interaction of them isn't as simple as one might assume. Trados won't be fully integrated into macOS.

If you want a Mac for the hardware: get it, by all means ...

If you want a Mac for its simplicity, don't install Windows!

The concepts of macOS and Windows clash. Keyboard shortcuts etc. are different, you'll be constantly switching (although e.g. Parallels tries hard to mimic macOS's behaviour).

[Edited at 2017-09-08 08:28 GMT]


 

Norskpro
Sweden
Local time: 20:58
Member
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Mac is simple to use Sep 8, 2017

[/quote] Because Willemina wants to use Trados on a Mac, she will have to add an extra level of complexity. In fact she will be using two different operating systems at the same time. Each will have its own updates etc. The interaction of them isn't as simple as one might assume. Trados won't be fully integrated into macOS.

If you want a Mac for the hardware: get it, by all means ...

If you want a Mac for its simplicity, don't install Windows! [/quote]

I use Mac and would not want to use anything else. I have installed Windows Parallels to enable me to use Windows programs when necessary. There are no problems with switching back and forth. I can work in MemoQ, for instance, in the Windows environment and switch to my dictionaries and search engines in my Mac environment. Back and forth, no problem. The Windows environment is like another tab on my screen. If you decide to buy a Mac, I would advise you to consider buying support for a year, which is very helpful, especially for a Mac beginner, should you need help.


 

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:58
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
All change brings disorder in the short term Sep 8, 2017

Willemina Hagenauw wrote:
Maybe, and especially with regard to Trados, which I use a lot, I should stick with Windows rather than make the move.

Ease of use is largely determined by your familiarity with the conventions of the user interface in question. I think there was certainly an argument that Apple's operating systems really were easier to use back in the 1980s (when its competitor was DOS, hah) and 1990s (when it was up against Windows 3.x, Windows 95).

These days, compared to Windows 7 or Windows 10, I don't think any verifiable difference remains. It's personal preference and what you're used to. The myth of "ease of use" survives because Apple has poured huge resources into achieving a cool factor for their products to attract those who are easily influenced by design, largely people in the worlds of art and media. The result is that we have a generation of journalists who have been huge users of Apple products. Naturally, since that is what journalists are used to, they perceive Apple operating systems to be easier to use, and that is what they push.

Meanwhile, the remaining 95% of the desktop market is using different operating systems, overwhelmingly some version of Windows, because it costs far less, runs on any hardware, can be configured any way that is needed, and scales to any size.

This was brought home to me when a friend of mine asked me to look at their Apple desktop. Despite 30 years of experience with a whole range of computers I struggled, simply because there are enough small differences in OS X to make it hard to adjust. Even things like window management and installing new software took me a while to work out. Sure, once you know how to do it, it's no more difficult than Windows (but no easier), and there are many, many things like that to which you need to adapt. The same applies in reverse, of course - most Apple users would have difficulties adapting to Windows.

That aside, as a general rule, I would be very cautious about moving to any platform that does not have native support for the software that you use every day of your working life. If your software is only available on OS X, I would strongly advise you not to move to Windows, and vice versa.

Dan


 

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:58
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No Trados Sep 8, 2017

Willemina Hagenauw wrote:

Thanks for your wonderful replies. Tom, do you use Trados on your Mac?


No, I don't use Trados or anything else that requires Windows - so I've never used Parallels Desktop (which will run Windows on your Mac) but I've seen it in action and it's impressive.

If you do buy a Mac I would advise you to get the maximum RAM possible.

BTW the MacOS includes Dictation software that works wonderfully, and according to others who've used third-party dictation applications (Dragon etc.) Mac Dictation is better, and has a much bigger selection of language pairs. I use it all the time.


 

CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Local time: 20:58
For me the "X" factor is relevant Sep 8, 2017

Dan Lucas wrote:

Ease of use is largely determined by your familiarity with the conventions of the user interface in question. I think there was certainly an argument that Apple's operating systems really were easier to use back in the 1980s (when its competitor was DOS, hah) and 1990s (when it was up against Windows 3.x, Windows 95).


I agree. At the level of the GUI the differences aren't big (but a little "irritating" when constantly switching between the OSses). What I like about macOS is the underlaying "X" operating system. So I chose the Mac because of the good hardware (they offered one of the first Retina screens) and the motor (the OS). One example only: not one big Registry (Windows), but small plist files that can easily be deleted (macOS). Okay, one other example: not 5 or 10 minutes updating every Tuesday morning, but one update every few months.

2 days ago, I decided to update Windows 10 on a PC to the Creator's update. It took me about 2 hours (during which I watched tv). I don't want that anymore on my working computer.

But, in the end, it all comes to personal preferences.


 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Switch from Windows to Mac

Advanced search






SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search