interpreting training
Thread poster: coldplay fan
coldplay fan
coldplay fan
Local time: 12:22
Arabic to English
Jun 26, 2007

hi

i'm doing a master in translation:arabic english french.i still have one year to go.i'm quite interested in interpreting and i would like to know where i can have interperting training abroad,especially in the UK.

Thanks in advance!

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Suggestion Jun 26, 2007

A: language: arabic
C-languages: french, english
=ETI Geneva
and University of Westminster (London)

coldplay fan
coldplay fan
Arabic to English
TOPIC STARTER
thank you very much indeed Jun 26, 2007

Thank you for your reply.

I was just wondering about the possibility of getting a scholarship in any of the mentioned schools. i checked the web site of westminster school but i did not understand the part about scholarships.could you please help?

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
There are a limited number of bursaries Jun 27, 2007

http://scic.cec.eu.int/europa/display.jsp?id=c_6344
but only for languages of the E.U.
As far I know Arabic is not an official language of the E.U.
Note : London is a £15.000 winner-takes-it-all. If you pass, you can start winning back your investment. If you don't pas, bye £15.000

coldplay fan
coldplay fan
Arabic to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks williamson Jun 27, 2007

thank you for the information.

that's the problem with arabic there are not many scholarships for students whose mother tongue is arabic

thanks anyway!

Aymeric de Poyen Bellisle (X)
Aymeric de Poyen Bellisle (X)  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to French
+ ...
Westminster Jun 27, 2007

Williamson wrote:

http://scic.cec.eu.int/europa/display.jsp?id=c_6344
but only for languages of the E.U.
As far I know Arabic is not an official language of the E.U.
Note : London is a £15.000 winner-takes-it-all. If you pass, you can start winning back your investment. If you don't pas, bye £15.000

Westminster's policy has now changed. If you fail the December exam, you don't have to pay for the second term so you only pay half of the total fees, which amount to 9,350 pounds for the whole year for an overseas student.

Besides, if you study in London, it might help you improve your English so you would be able to use it as an active B language, instead of just a C as Williamson said.

[Modifié le 2007-06-27 22:20]

coldplay fan
coldplay fan
Arabic to English
TOPIC STARTER
westminster course detation Jun 29, 2007

Thanks Aymeric

I just wanted to know how long the course of interpreting in Westminster School lasts.

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Not Westminster School Jun 29, 2007

coldplay fan wrote:
I just wanted to know how long the course of interpreting in Westminster School lasts.

Williamson and Aymeric were not talking about Westminster School, but the University of Westminster.

Westminster School doesn't have interpreting courses.

Andy Gillies
Andy Gillies
Local time: 13:22
German to English
+ ...
grants Jul 6, 2007

The UN does grants as well. I don't know much about them but try here for starters...

http://www.unvienna.org/unov/en/job/internship_general_info.html#con

a

[Bearbeitet am 2007-07-06 12:36]

coldplay fan
coldplay fan
Arabic to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you andy! Jul 6, 2007

thank you very much andy.i had a look at the web site you
suggested and it's really interesting.as i always say: sharing is caring

Yamato (X)
Yamato (X)
Bulgaria
Local time: 14:22
Russian to Spanish
+ ...
My two pences Aug 3, 2007

I think one cannot forget to mention ESIT.

Here's the website www.univ-paris3.fr/esit/

Now, it's the best for several reasons. One, it's the school that started it all, and the one that has the best teachers and most advanced techniques.

Two, it's got the best equipment. It's not the most modern equipment, but it's got real interpreting equipment.

Three
... See more
I think one cannot forget to mention ESIT.

Here's the website www.univ-paris3.fr/esit/

Now, it's the best for several reasons. One, it's the school that started it all, and the one that has the best teachers and most advanced techniques.

Two, it's got the best equipment. It's not the most modern equipment, but it's got real interpreting equipment.

Three, they provide with the best education. No other school is as prestigious, or prepares you so thoroughly. In ESIT you end up with the same level as any professional interpreter who is already working, and not just the level of a "beginner interpreter".

On the downside, they are very, very tough. It's not just the entrance exam that is tough, after that there is a lot of work, and, at the end of the first year, they kick out a lot of students.

One more thing for arabophones: they require you to interpret into Classical Arabic.
Collapse

Yamato (X)
Yamato (X)
Bulgaria
Local time: 14:22
Russian to Spanish
+ ...
oh, I forgot to say... Aug 4, 2007

... that, since it is French public university, the master there costas just above 500 euros.

Seriously!

coldplay fan
coldplay fan
Arabic to English
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Pablo! Aug 28, 2007

thank you Pablo for the information it's really useful!!

i had a look at ESIT's web site, it's really interesting and it's just what i was looking for and the icing on the cake is that it doesn't coast much!i hope they accept me there!!!

thanks again!

hope we stay in touch
take good care of yourself!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

interpreting training

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »