Are we getting closer to automatic encoding?
Thread poster: Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:31
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Mar 12, 2003

I happened to notice that an Arabic-German question on the Kudoz easy all pairs page was shown in Arabic script, and so it was on the question page too (KudoZ 386698), with View/Encoding set to Western European Windows.

Arabic is not one of my languages so I don\'t normally take much notice of Arabic questions. Maybe this has been the case for some time, but I think at one time you would have needed View Encoding set to Arabic (Windows) or other Arabic setting to be able to read it.... See more
I happened to notice that an Arabic-German question on the Kudoz easy all pairs page was shown in Arabic script, and so it was on the question page too (KudoZ 386698), with View/Encoding set to Western European Windows.

Arabic is not one of my languages so I don\'t normally take much notice of Arabic questions. Maybe this has been the case for some time, but I think at one time you would have needed View Encoding set to Arabic (Windows) or other Arabic setting to be able to read it.

This is not the case for Cyrillic scripts, which still require the View Encoding to be set to Cyrillic Windows (or sometimes Cyrillic KOI8-R) to make them readable.

But is this a sign of progress in this direction?

Collapse

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:31
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Unicode Mar 12, 2003

The only solution to this problem is using Unicode encoding. Thus, you should be able to see all kinds of different scripts on the same page. For more info see www.unicode.org

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:31
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Unicode Mar 12, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-12 17:23, afaton wrote:

The only solution to this problem is using Unicode encoding. Thus, you should be able to see all kinds of different scripts on the same page. For more info see www.unicode.org

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:31
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
It doesn't work for me Mar 12, 2003

To Spiros:

I just went to the Russian forum and set it to Unicode UTF-8, the only version available to me on Internet Explorer 6, and it came out as gibberish.

Since one of your languages is Greek, I assume it does work for you. Is yours a different Unicode?

I went to the URL you gave, but it doesn\'t appear to give any facility for downloading anything.

Hermann Bruns
Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:31
English to German
KudoZ.NET uses Unicode Mar 12, 2003

Hello Jack,

KudoZ.NET already uses Unicode. Therefore, all questions or answers posted by KudoZ.NET will be displayed correctly on all systems. For example, during the last days some Chinese-English questions were posted via KudoZ.NET. They were displayed correctly by every the browser, and there was no need to select a special character encoding.

On the other hand, when a question is posted via browser, it is posted using the character set of the poster
... See more
Hello Jack,

KudoZ.NET already uses Unicode. Therefore, all questions or answers posted by KudoZ.NET will be displayed correctly on all systems. For example, during the last days some Chinese-English questions were posted via KudoZ.NET. They were displayed correctly by every the browser, and there was no need to select a special character encoding.

On the other hand, when a question is posted via browser, it is posted using the character set of the poster\'s computer. For this reason, the user who wants to answer this question, must select the correct character encoding to be able to read the question. In many cases, it is quite straightforward to guess the correct encoding. In other cases, you might have to try several encodings before you select the correct one.

There are plans to use Unicode for the whole ProZ.com site. However, a lot of testing needs to be done, because we have to make sure that all browsers fully support Unicode.

Hermann

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are we getting closer to automatic encoding?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »