Taija Hyvönen
Finland
Local time: 20:52
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Mar 6, 2009

A funny shot I stumbled upon...

I think I can reconstruct the events that lead to this and I think the words "please translate this free of charge immediately" are involved

[Edited at 2009-03-06 06:50 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:52
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Beautiful!!! Mar 6, 2009

Thanks for the laugh, Taija! I am still giggling...

Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)
Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:52
English to Dutch
+ ...
Old one Mar 6, 2009

This one has been posted here at least three times before. But never mind.

What happened was, the local council sent a translation request to their usual translator's office. They were not in, so the automatic system sent an 'out of office' message. Thinking the translators were really prompt this time, the local council assumed this to be the translation.
No free translation involved, but a very painful misunderstanding.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
... but good one! Mar 6, 2009

I wonder how many times a year that kind of misunderstanding actually happens... and has some consequences!

Laurent K.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:52
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Consequences Mar 6, 2009

ScottishWildCat wrote:
I wonder how many times a year that kind of misunderstanding actually happens... and has some consequences!

Often laughter.

A training film/video distributor over the years found several films/tapes externally labeled as:
- Universal Picture Header
- Film Starts Here
- Eastman Kodak Co.
- Stop Here and Discuss

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:52
English to Japanese
+ ...
I wish I could show you the pic! Mar 6, 2009

But I cannot locate it any more. It was circulated before the summer Olympic game last year - it may have been shown here, I guess.

In China, a restaurateur eager to attract an international clientele decided to display the restaurant’s English name on the storefront next to its Chinese name. Unfortunately, the machine translation application he chose to perform the task was not working at the moment, and his restaurant now bears the English name “Translate server er
... See more
But I cannot locate it any more. It was circulated before the summer Olympic game last year - it may have been shown here, I guess.

In China, a restaurateur eager to attract an international clientele decided to display the restaurant’s English name on the storefront next to its Chinese name. Unfortunately, the machine translation application he chose to perform the task was not working at the moment, and his restaurant now bears the English name “Translate server error.”

http://www.corporatelogo.com/articles/hire-professional-translator.html

You find more blunders here. I'm sure some of you are already familar with them. My favorite: “It takes a hard man to make a chicken affectionate.”

Cheers,
Rie
Collapse

Natalia Pedrosa (X)
Natalia Pedrosa (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
I have another one Mar 7, 2009

While I was at University, the teacher told us of some mistranslations, but the best one I ever found was in a Spanish restaurant explaining the menu:

"Rape Fishermen's Style"

How about it?

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
funny Mar 8, 2009

Natalia Pedrosa wrote:

"Rape Fishermen's Style"

ha ha

Taija Hyvönen
Taija Hyvönen
Finland
Local time: 20:52
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why I posted this sign Mar 8, 2009

Menus and such full are of translation mistakes ranging from hilarious to embarrassing, I'm sure we all know countless examples.

This sign, though, is far funnier, I think. It's not just yet again someone not quite up to it trying their best to translate and missing the target. José Henrique found some similar examples - I remember reading a newspaper and seeing a headline saying "Headline goes here".

Maybe it's just me... but I find these much more entertaining than
... See more
Menus and such full are of translation mistakes ranging from hilarious to embarrassing, I'm sure we all know countless examples.

This sign, though, is far funnier, I think. It's not just yet again someone not quite up to it trying their best to translate and missing the target. José Henrique found some similar examples - I remember reading a newspaper and seeing a headline saying "Headline goes here".

Maybe it's just me... but I find these much more entertaining than the usual translation errors. It's like a catching a glimpse of how stuff works, and what happens when it doesn't work.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A translation failed... not in the usual way

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »