Off topic: Nez Perces?
Thread poster: Kim Metzger

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:36
German to English
Oct 18, 2004

These days, millions of Americans spend hours in their cars every day driving to and from work, taking care of business, etc. I just read an article by Dave Barry that discusses how people spend their time in these situations.
---
"Our traffic problems are getting worse, according to a recent study by the Institute of Discovering Things That Make You Go "Duh."

How bad is our traffic mess? Consider these alarming facts:

FACT: In the past year alone, commuters whose car radios were tuned to "classic rock" spent an average of 347 hours – more than two weeks – just listening to the song "Takin' Care of Business," by Bachman Turner Overdrive. The statistics are even more chilling for "Black Magic Woman."

FACT: Gridlock is so bad that as many as 15 percent of women drivers now pass the time by picking their noses. (The figure for men remains steady at 100 percent.)"

[Edited at 2004-10-18 21:14]

Direct link Reply with quote

Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:36
German to English
+ ...
What CAR problems? Oct 18, 2004

Kim Metzger wrote:
These days, millions of Americans spend hours in their cars every day driving to and from work, taking care of business, etc.

It's a good thing that I don't have to worry about those things while I'm riding my BIKE to work and back (it's easier now that I live in Europe) - I only have to worry about all those 'crazy' car drivers picking their noses instead of paying attention to the road (and to the bicyclists using it too).

Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 01:36
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
What CARS and BIKES? Oct 18, 2004

Derek Gill wrote:
Kim Metzger wrote:
These days, millions of Americans spend hours in their cars every day driving to and from work, taking care of business, etc.

It's a good thing that I don't have to worry about those things while I'm riding my BIKE to work and back (it's easier now that I live in Europe)

How strange... And I just sit home, and when I go out, I mostly WALK. Of course, the fact does not mean that I fall out of the general 100% statistics for all men's favourite amusement of digging treasures from their noses...

Terry Gilman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Tati's "Traffic" Oct 18, 2004

Kim, you (and Dave Barry) might like this film about an entourage that takes an unusual recreational vehicle to an international exhibition in Amsterdam, ca. 1970.

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:36
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
How do translators spend their time at the computer? Oct 19, 2004

Terry Gilman wrote:

Kim, you (and Dave Barry) might like this film about an entourage that takes an unusual recreational vehicle to an international exhibition in Amsterdam, ca. 1970.

I missed that one, Terry, but I'll see if I can locate a copy. I'm a big fan of French movies. And I admire Derek and Kirill for shunning the automobile altogether.

I wonder if a study has been done on how translators spend their time at the computer?

[Edited at 2004-10-19 19:40]

Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Right here... Oct 19, 2004

Kim Metzger wrote:
I wonder if a study has been done on how translators spend their time at the computer?

I know how I spend my time at the computer - answering KudoZ questions (since I found this site).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Nez Perces?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search