Off topic: Proz.com: How Many Members?
Thread poster: Moofi
Moofi
Moofi  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:26
Polish to English
+ ...
Nov 15, 2005

My mother-in-law just asked me how many other translators are registered with the site. I randomly said "a million plus, probably", but now I'm curious as to how many of us there are. Anyone have a better idea?

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 07:26
SITE FOUNDER
125k+ registered Nov 15, 2005

Over 125,000 translators and owners of translation companies have registered at ProZ.com. Approximately 30-40k people visit ProZ.com each weekday. Of those, approximately 8k log in.

Moofi
Moofi  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wow! Nov 15, 2005

Phew! Thanks Henry, the mother-in-law was suitably impressed, as am I!

Steven Sidore
Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Can we get a breakdown by language, Henry? Nov 15, 2005

People are often very curious about my (our) profession, and when I talk about my day I naturally mention proz. The question that then comes up is how many active people there are, not just in my languages (GER>ENG), but in less well travelled languages. Is there a Hindi > Finnish community? I'd be curious to know...

[Edited at 2005-11-15 13:02]

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:26
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Fun to know, but maybe difficult to implement Nov 15, 2005

Hi Steven,
This would be fun to know; however, in my opinion, it might be difficult to implement with so many language combinations that one can have..., and are allowed to have.

Monika

Steven Sidore wrote:

People are often very curious about my (our) profession, and when I talk about my day I naturally mention proz. The question that then comes up is how many active people there are, not just in my languages (GER>ENG), but in less well travelled languages. Is there a Hindi > Finnish community? I'd be curious to know...

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:56
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Impressing a mother-in-law! Nov 15, 2005

Whew. It is really a feat.
Regards,
N.Raghavan
Moofi wrote:

Phew! Thanks Henry, the mother-in-law was suitably impressed, as am I!

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Finnish and Hindi (as examples of languages with few translators) Nov 15, 2005

Steven Sidore wrote:
The question that then comes up is how many active people there are, not just in my languages (GER>ENG), but in less well travelled languages. Is there a Hindi > Finnish community? I'd be curious to know...

For the record, the directory does not contain any translators for Finnish to Hindi or Hindi to Finnish.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proz.com: How Many Members?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »