Masters in the UK or Ireland to become a researcher in Translation Studies
Thread poster: traductoni

Local time: 00:58
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 22, 2009


I am about to graduate with a Licenciatura en Traducción e Interpretación (BA in Translation and Interpreting) from the University of Granada (Spain).

I am very interested in research (especially the fields of Scientific and Technical Translation, Terminology, etc.).

Which Masters in the UK or Ireland would you recommend me?

Thank you very much!


Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
Some info on Irl Feb 23, 2009

I think it might be better to decide whether you want to explore all 3 options - scientific translation, technical translation, terminology - with a view to then deciding in which of these areas you want to specialise (as they are really quite different), or decide at the outset which of these 3 areas you are especially interested in.

On that basis - of whether to generally explore and experiment or specialise from the outset - you could do - in Ireland - a classical Translation Studies degree (e.g. DCU Dublin) or a localisation-focused course (Uni of Limerick) or consider some of the sci-tech options available in the UK (e.g. Westminister, I think, does a very sci-tech focused degree). As far as I'm aware, those are the two major TS degrees available in Ireland. The UK has far more options in terms of specialisation, plus some very reputable universities (Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester, off the top of my head) in the TS field.

If you are interested in research as a career I think you have to think further than a master's to a doctorate, as the master's is really only a preliminary phase to real research.


Christopher Fitzsimons
Local time: 00:58
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Queen's University Belfast Oct 27, 2009

I have just finished a Masters(not in Translation) at Queen's University Belfast, in Northern Ireland. Although I did not study the MA in Translation offered at QUB, I know quite a few people who did. It is a taught MA which offers modules in translation theory as well as practice however it has a strong research emphasis as the lecturers on the MA are mainly academics and researchers as opposed to professional translators.
You can find detailed information on the course itself here (
The MA is run and mainly taught by Professor David Johnson( who is himself a theatre translator and academic. I would particularly recommend this course if you are interested in academic and/or theatre translation.
The University itself has an excellent academic reputation, being a member of the Russell Group(an association of 20 major research-intensive universities of the United Kingdom); you can find more info at Most importantly studying at QUB allows you to live on the island of Ireland but to study at a British university as Northern Ireland is part of the UK.icon_smile.gif
Could be an interesting option!
Just a suggestion. Good luck with your research and enjoy your MA.icon_smile.gif


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Masters in the UK or Ireland to become a researcher in Translation Studies

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search