Emma Gledhill
Emma Gledhill
Switzerland
Local time: 03:07
German to English
+ ...
Nov 9, 2006

Hi all!!

I'm going totally bananas with a problem with Norton Internet Security 2006, namely that I paid for a two-year subscription last November and I am being asked to renew just one year in.

The Symantec knowledge base is worse than useless for this one, the e-mail contact form insists on having a US, Canadian or Aussie state entered regardless of where you live and therefore won't submit (and then the prodeuct dropdown box breaks and you can't submit), and the tel
... See more
Hi all!!

I'm going totally bananas with a problem with Norton Internet Security 2006, namely that I paid for a two-year subscription last November and I am being asked to renew just one year in.

The Symantec knowledge base is worse than useless for this one, the e-mail contact form insists on having a US, Canadian or Aussie state entered regardless of where you live and therefore won't submit (and then the prodeuct dropdown box breaks and you can't submit), and the telephone contact form won't recognise my serial no. and therefore won't submit.

And there is nowhere on any of the sites that I have found to just phone or e-mail them and TALK TO A HUMAN BEING!!!!! Sorry for shouting, but it's driving me absolutely demented and I don't see why I should lose out on a year's subscription owing to their brick walls. Can anyone suggest who to contact? The package was bought and downloaded through digital river btw.

TIA
Emma
Collapse

cocotier
cocotier
English to French
+ ...
Thank you Nov 9, 2006

Dear Emma,

Thank you to point it out!

I think something similar happened to me...although I didn't check at that time (last August...have to look back for my renewal).

Anyway, another thing was strange: when I have been asked to renew, prices were different (for the same product) on my PC and on my notebook!

I am also interested in contacting them!

Regards

Alan Thompson
Alan Thompson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
Don't despair Nov 9, 2006

Have you tried this page from the Solution Center, which is valid for Norton 2005 products?

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/jsp/PageRender2.jsp?template=cs&selected=nav2&id=3877495-145

If you have a different version (n
... See more
Have you tried this page from the Solution Center, which is valid for Norton 2005 products?

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/jsp/PageRender2.jsp?template=cs&selected=nav2&id=3877495-145

If you have a different version (not 2005) go to this page:
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/jsp/PageRender2.jsp?template=cs&id=3877495-3&selected=nav2

Hope it works for you!
Collapse

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Good reaon for opting out Nov 9, 2006

I had a similar problem. I rang their local sales office (not service) and bullied them until they gave me a telephone number for their service guys.

Failing that, you could cut your losses, and use a cheaper alternative program, which would probably cost you less than the time you waste in chasing Norton and also free up a load of computer efficiency.

Take a look at various related issues, by entering Norton in Search a
... See more
I had a similar problem. I rang their local sales office (not service) and bullied them until they gave me a telephone number for their service guys.

Failing that, you could cut your losses, and use a cheaper alternative program, which would probably cost you less than the time you waste in chasing Norton and also free up a load of computer efficiency.

Take a look at various related issues, by entering Norton in Search and scooting round the forum entries. (e.g. http://www.proz.com/post/432114#432114)

HTH
Collapse

Emma Gledhill
Emma Gledhill
Switzerland
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the thought Nov 9, 2006

KLS wrote:

If you have a different version (not 2005) go to this page:
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/jsp/PageRender2.jsp?template=cs&id=3877495-3&selected=nav2

Hope it works for you!

Sadly those pages then take you onto what to do if you have a problem with renewal - it's not a renewal problem, it's a problem with the original order, I don't WANT to renew!!

I must admit these contact problems put me right off Norton AV. I got it because it's reputed to be the best around, but not if you can't actually contact them with a problem. Having paid for the second year already I'm damned well going to try and make sure I don't lose it, but it has become a less critical problem now I'm using an Intel Mac. I only use AV on the Windows partition and don't let that partition access the Internet anyway. But that's not the point

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I sympathise Nov 9, 2006

A few years ago when I wanted to sort a problem with Symantec, I trolled through pages of pages of links trying to find a way to contact someone/anyone!

I have had no problem with the product, but the technical service and navigating their website is a nightmare.

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
By the way... Nov 9, 2006

When you contact them, tell them that you have described your problem in a site used by over a 100 000 translators and that if you don't get a satisfactory answer you will state as much in the site. That worked for me once with another technical service (for a laptop brand).

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
A live human being at Symantec...ya gotta be kiddin' Nov 10, 2006

Textklick wrote:

You got through? And you TALKED to someone! Wow!!!! I've never gotten through and neither have any of my friends ... but I still use it (just very, very cautiously...esp. around billing time).

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Nov 10, 2006

I thought you had to pay to use their tech support people by phone?

As it happens, I know a couple of people who work in Symantec in Dublin... I can ask them if there is a way around this if you like?

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 04:07
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Offtopic, but Nov 10, 2006

just saw this on some joke list and couldn't resist reposting it there:

"The other day, I had to make a call to the telephone company.
Something was wrong with my bill. I dialed the number listed,
and was astonished. I got the strangest recording. It said,
"You have been connected to the correct department on the
first try. This is against company policy. Please hang up
and redial."

Uldis

Orla Ryan wrote:

I thought you had to pay to use their tech support people by phone?

As it happens, I know a couple of people who work in Symantec in Dublin... I can ask them if there is a way around this if you like?

Riens Middelhof
Riens Middelhof  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Something similar happened to me... Nov 11, 2006

My licence was due, but because my internet traffic was pretty safe at the time (I thought), I took the risk not to renew for a few (2, I think) months.

Suddenly LiveUpdate started to work again! Without any warning, it worked perfect, filtered 2 viruses out of mails I had under suspicion when I received them... No problems at all. This went on for 3 months or so. My computer worked fast and reliable, no freezups, no people complaining they received spam from my account...
... See more
My licence was due, but because my internet traffic was pretty safe at the time (I thought), I took the risk not to renew for a few (2, I think) months.

Suddenly LiveUpdate started to work again! Without any warning, it worked perfect, filtered 2 viruses out of mails I had under suspicion when I received them... No problems at all. This went on for 3 months or so. My computer worked fast and reliable, no freezups, no people complaining they received spam from my account...

After that period I downloaded a trial version, just in case. I installed it, but it didn´t find any bad guys.

Then a friend recommended another virusprogram, Kapersky. I´m not to keen on changing those kind of programs at all, but he insisted.

After downloading a trial version I filtered out 3 virusses and 20 malwares...

I bought the program right away. I´m VERY happy with it. It´s very slow on checking all of the computer, but on the other hand extremely discreet, fast on loading updates etc...

No Norton/Symantec for me anymore...
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Manual? Nov 11, 2006

I see you've downloaded a version. Did it not have a manual with it - a PDF maybe, with a list of contact numbers?

No matter. I went to a shop to buy my Norton AV, and the manual has a list of numbers in the back. The contact number for Switzerland is given as 01 212 1847. Must admit I've only phoned them once (UK number, that is) and found them very helpful, so I hope that if you get thru, you can say the same

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Had to take it off my computer Nov 11, 2006

After recently renewing my license Norton started blocking all outgoing email. I could not figure out how to unblock it after half an hour of trying, I found it simpler to just uninstall it. I now do not have Norton installed on my computer and am considering using AGV, which is free and more intuitive.

Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:07
English to Russian
You had to configure your Norton firewall Nov 25, 2006

Edward Potter wrote:

After recently renewing my license Norton started blocking all outgoing email. I could not figure out how to unblock it after half an hour of trying, I found it simpler to just uninstall it. I now do not have Norton installed on my computer and am considering using AGV, which is free and more intuitive.

Edward,

If you are talking of Norton Inernet Security, the most likely reason was that your mail agent (Outlook or Outlook Express or whatever) was not listed in the programs allowed to access Internet. To rectify that you have to select 'Personal Firewall" /Configure/Programs and check if it is listed there. If not, either run a program scan from that window and recheck if it appeared in the list, or select the "Add" tab below and using "browse" show the path to your mail agent manually.

I agree NIS is more complicated than Kaspersky, but in my view much better if you take the time to learn it. I had used KAV for 3-4 years and then changed to Norton Internet Security and am happy with it. Just remember to reconfigure the Firewall and Intrusion Prevention every time you reinstall NIS (and after renewing your license), after you install a new Internet dependent program, or after adding a new computer to your LAN.
Alex

Emma Gledhill
Emma Gledhill
Switzerland
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A quick update Nov 27, 2006

After 10+ days of searching their web site, I finally found a link to a live chat support line on the UK site. The techie on there did eventually sort me out (althoguh it took nearly an hour) and he was very good to be fair. But I did instruct him to pass on that 10+ days to find a way to sort out a problem not in the knowledge base was very dfar from acceptable and I shan't be renewing when the time comes for that very reason.

FYI the problem arose because, having ordered online fr
... See more
After 10+ days of searching their web site, I finally found a link to a live chat support line on the UK site. The techie on there did eventually sort me out (althoguh it took nearly an hour) and he was very good to be fair. But I did instruct him to pass on that 10+ days to find a way to sort out a problem not in the knowledge base was very dfar from acceptable and I shan't be renewing when the time comes for that very reason.

FYI the problem arose because, having ordered online from an EU site from CH, I was originally charged VAT that I shouldn't have been charged. The VAT was refunded but the idiot who did so, marked "partial refund" on the part of the system that deals with renewals (elsewhere the correct date was still clear) which told the system to cut the subscription to one year.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Contacting Symantec customer services

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »