Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:33
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jul 2, 2007

I noticed it makes a difference to shut down the Windows-computer (switch it off) instead of just rebooting. My XP-Laptop had been on for months, only rebooting the system once a week or after installing new software. I noticed general slowing down of functions and other problems.
After I shut down the machine completely these problems had vanished. So it seems rebooting is not enough. Can someone confirm my observation?

Regards
Heinrich

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:33
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I turn mine off at night Jul 2, 2007

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
After I shut down the machine completely these problems had vanished. So it seems rebooting is not enough. Can someone confirm my observation?

I can't really confirm, because I do a complete shut down at bed-time. Ditto when I get a battery warning on my laptop and I don't have my cable nearby -- I don't wait for hibernation, but switch off as soon as I can. But that is not for performance reasons -- it's just easier to wake up a dead computer than a sleeping one.

I also use the reset button (on my desktop computer) and the battery release buttons (on my laptop) regularly if I feel the computer is taking too long to respond on something, and I figure it might be quicker to have the bootup routine.

Why would you leave your computer turned on 247? Incoming faxes are stored at the server, the router isn't dependent on the host computer, what else is there?

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:33
English to German
+ ...
Do you clean your computer on a regular basis? Jul 2, 2007

I let my XP-laptop run for days, but I clean it once a day by using Tools->Internet Options->Delete, i.e. temp files, web history, fishing files, etc., or compacting the email folders and such. There's no reason why your laptop shouldn't be allowed to have the one or the other, ahem, please forgive me, bowel movement, which the laptop may do automatically, provided you set it up appropriately, by shutting it down completely.

This is something my computer guru taught me when I called him to my office to take care of my (elderly) Macintosh, which displayed similar symptoms. It turned out that, e.g. due to a browser flaw, the computer had piled up 2,3 GB (!) of emails that clogged up the relatively small hard disk.

My XP-laptop has some decent 100 GB, but keeping him clean, including a weekly scheduled hard disk scan, has kept this guy working perfectly for more than two years now.

Izydor --
English to Polish
+ ...
You're perfectly right in doing so. Regular cleanup is the key! Jul 2, 2007

Nicole Schnell wrote:

I let my XP-laptop run for days, but I clean it once a day by using Tools->Internet Options->Delete, i.e. temp files, web history, fishing files, etc., or compacting the email folders and such. There's no reason why your laptop shouldn't be allowed to have the one or the other, ahem, please forgive me, bowel movement, which the laptop may do automatically, provided you set it up appropriately, by shutting it down completely.

This is something my computer guru taught me when I called him to my office to take care of my (elderly) Macintosh, which displayed similar symptoms. It turned out that, e.g. due to a browser flaw, the computer had piled up 2,3 GB (!) of emails that clogged up the relatively small hard disk.

My XP-laptop has some decent 100 GB, but keeping him clean, including a weekly scheduled hard disk scan, has kept this guy working perfectly for more than two years now.

Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
Reboot/shutdown has different effects on some hardware Jul 3, 2007

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
I noticed it makes a difference to shut down the Windows-computer (switch it off) instead of just rebooting.
Can someone confirm my observation?

To software applications, there is no difference between a reboot and a shutdown followed by a restart. However, there may be differences in the way hardware (network card, sound card etc.) is shut down and reinitialised. So if your problems are related to hardware (or hardware drivers), it is not unlikely at all that one of the two ways of restarting has a more beneficial effect than the other.

Endre

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Shutting down vs. rebooting

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search