Word counting / invoicing software suggestions please
Thread poster: Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 01:43
English to Spanish
Jun 17, 2003

Given the current limitations of most word counting/invoicing software I have tried/bought, I have finally arranged with a software company (my brother´s) to make me a custom program that suits my needs.

Given the fact that he will offer a modified version for sale afterwards, perhaps someone wants to make a few suggestions pointing out what they would like see on such software. I have noted down quite a lot of especifications from my own experience with such programs, but the more
... See more
Given the current limitations of most word counting/invoicing software I have tried/bought, I have finally arranged with a software company (my brother´s) to make me a custom program that suits my needs.

Given the fact that he will offer a modified version for sale afterwards, perhaps someone wants to make a few suggestions pointing out what they would like see on such software. I have noted down quite a lot of especifications from my own experience with such programs, but the more the better!. And there´s always the possibility that I forget something obvious... (nothing like a good brainstorm to solve that).

I have no idea whatsoever about any price or fee the company will deem appropriate for their product aimed to the general public, but I can at least promise that any helper will receive a discount coupon if the project goes through.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!.
Collapse

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some suggestions Jun 17, 2003

IMNSHO, the people from Land Software had the right idea. Unfortunately, the program for translators has not been updated since 1999 or so.

Some of the features I would like to see in a new program (besides the obvious invoice creation and word/line/character counting):

a) Easy client entry
b) Use of different currencies
c) Real-time exchange rates
d) Glossary database per client
e) A
... See more
IMNSHO, the people from Land Software had the right idea. Unfortunately, the program for translators has not been updated since 1999 or so.

Some of the features I would like to see in a new program (besides the obvious invoice creation and word/line/character counting):

a) Easy client entry
b) Use of different currencies
c) Real-time exchange rates
d) Glossary database per client
e) Area for business expenses
f) Calendar
g) Quote creation
h) Contacts/Phonebook
i) Automatic due date reminders
j) Detailed account summaries
k) Total customization

and the cherry on top:

l) Compatible with MS Money and QuickBooks.

[Edited at 2003-06-17 13:35]
Collapse

Andreia Silva
Andreia Silva  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:43
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOM Jun 17, 2003

I've been using TOM for about one year now. It solved all my problems.
It is a software specific for translators/agencies. More details in
www.jovo-soft.de
As I don't know any other software like this one, I can't make any comparison.
It would be great to have more for us to choose from!!
Thank you
Andreia

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
PractiCount, for word counting Jun 18, 2003

and invoicing really works fine for me, but I'd like to have something more for h, i, j points mentioned by Dyran. Not necessarily in the same software.
I had a look at Land Software and TOM, and would like to know if there are more softwares like this. The second one costs more than 200 euros, so it's worth comparing first.

Rossana Triaca
Uruguay
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Great ideas. Jun 18, 2003

It´s really good to see I was not the only one needing what Dyran stated in points a), b), c), f), h), i) & k).

Regarding the glossary database, I think it´s perhaps drifting too much into the CAT tool domain (don´t get me wrong, a whole suite would be fantastic, but this management programme would have to "understand" several different CAT file standards to be of general use - i.e., not only filing glossaries but also memory databases).

The area of business expense
... See more
It´s really good to see I was not the only one needing what Dyran stated in points a), b), c), f), h), i) & k).

Regarding the glossary database, I think it´s perhaps drifting too much into the CAT tool domain (don´t get me wrong, a whole suite would be fantastic, but this management programme would have to "understand" several different CAT file standards to be of general use - i.e., not only filing glossaries but also memory databases).

The area of business expenses is a good idea I had not thought about, as well as the quote creation. I am not sure about what you mean by j) (detailed account for each of your clients or for your bank account?).

I don´t know either if it´s too difficult to make it compatible with MS Money or Quickbooks. I never used them because I was under the impression they were just more complex (and hence more expensive) than what I needed... I´ll pass the suggestion on to the programmers anyway (they would surely know if it´s worth the effort).

BTW, I had a long time ago seen the Land Software programme but since it didn´t have a demo for download I really didn´t pay it much attention. It´s a pity it´s not updated... the page really seems untouched since last century.

Regarding TOM, I re-installed an evaluation copy (I fiddled with one a long time ago as well), but I thought at that time it was pricey for what if offered. Namely, that I had to use it with Practicount and I wanted an all-in-one management package, and the fact that it lacks vital import/export features (come on, I won´t enter my clients/contacts one by one...).

It would be interesting to compare with similar software as Claudia says, but I haven´t found any other programmes. I encourage everybody to post here any links leading to similar software so we can check it out.
Collapse

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some details Jun 18, 2003

Rossana Triaca wrote:
this management programme would have to "understand" several different CAT file standards to be of general use - i.e., not only filing glossaries but also memory databases).
[/quote]

No need for that, really. A basic import-export function of tab or comma delimited text would be enough (and fully compatible with any software worth its salt)

I am not sure about what you mean by j) (detailed account for each of your clients or for your bank account?).

I'd like to have a detailed report by client of how much I have invoiced them (total, per month, per week, etc.), how much they still owe me, whether they've been paying on time or not, etc.

Rossana Triaca
Uruguay
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Details noted down!. Jun 19, 2003

A basic import-export function of tab or comma delimited text would be enough (and fully compatible with any software worth its salt)

Ah, if it´s just limited to .csv files I think it should be easy. Let´s see what they say about it...

I'd like to have a detailed report by client of how much I have invoiced them (total, per month, per week, etc.), how much they still owe me, whether they've been paying on time or not, etc.

I follow you now. I had already asked for a detailed list of invoices for each different client and due date reminders, but it would be great to have good stadistics regarding their payment practices as you say... I shall pass the ideas on!. If they can get all that has been discused in a reasonably priced bundle, it think it would be a very successful software indeed.

Thanks a lot for all the input!.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word counting / invoicing software suggestions please

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »