This site uses cookies.
Some of these cookies are essential to the operation of the site,
while others help to improve your experience by providing insights into how the site is being used.
For more information, please see the ProZ.com privacy policy.
VIA AILooking for an interpreter?
Remoto by ProZ.com connects you with an identity-verified interpreter by video or phone in about 60 seconds — 300+ languages, on demand or booked ahead.
Try Remoto »
Your questions seem to be quite puzzling, which could explain why nobody dared to attempt answering so far.
1. Input method
Why should they bother? Normally I use a QWERTY keyboard. The brand was Leadership, but as it wore off, last week I replaced it with a new one from Dell.
Do they mean the software used for data input? When I get 'just the video and nothing else' to subtitle, my choice is Express Scribe to play the video, and the Windows Notepad to ente... See more
Your questions seem to be quite puzzling, which could explain why nobody dared to attempt answering so far.
1. Input method
Why should they bother? Normally I use a QWERTY keyboard. The brand was Leadership, but as it wore off, last week I replaced it with a new one from Dell.
Do they mean the software used for data input? When I get 'just the video and nothing else' to subtitle, my choice is Express Scribe to play the video, and the Windows Notepad to enter the subtitles text. Later I'll convert it into something that can be used by a subtitle editor for time-spotting, like Subtitle Workshop, or Subtitle Edit. Otherwise, if the client just wants the subtitles, no timing, I'll use MS Word to open that TXT file, and save as a DOC or DOCX.
2. Spellchecking method
I can open that TXT file with MS Word, do the spellchecking, and save it back as TXT.
Otherwise Subtitle Workshop can internally invoke Word's spellchecker (if Word is installed), and let me do it.
However I do visual spellchecking too, while time-spotting. It's in my standard workflow. I'll be re-checking the text anyway for opportunities to improve (lower) CPS wherever I can.
3. Special fonts
This depends on the target language. My language pair (EN-PT) involves Latin chars only.
This will be an issue only if you have to burn the subtitles. My favorite font for burning subtitles is Trebuchet bold. Now and then - though it is rare - a client requests Arial or Arial Black. No problem with that.
Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.
Check translations faster for consistency, quality and style guide compliance
PerfectIt helps professional translators deliver error-free documents in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint. It helps improve consistency, ensure quality, and enforce style guides. ProZ members receive a 30% discount off individual purchases of PerfectIt.