Thread poster: Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 16:53
Member (2011)
English to German
Oct 22, 2011

I am working with the German version of SDL Trados Suite 2011 and must be doing something fundamentally wrong. Perhaps I didn’t learn how to "clean" a bilingual document in the webinar for beginners, hm? At least I can't remember having done this before...

Well, I usually open the client's file, e.g. a MS Word file, with Trados and specify the TM, translate the text and then save the target text for my client. The TM is really doing nothing for me. Where in this process am I leavi
... See more
I am working with the German version of SDL Trados Suite 2011 and must be doing something fundamentally wrong. Perhaps I didn’t learn how to "clean" a bilingual document in the webinar for beginners, hm? At least I can't remember having done this before...

Well, I usually open the client's file, e.g. a MS Word file, with Trados and specify the TM, translate the text and then save the target text for my client. The TM is really doing nothing for me. Where in this process am I leaving out my "cleaning assignment"?

In the meantime, I have made my first attempts to create and populate a termbase with MultiTerm. Although it is a rather time-consuming task to fill the termbase with the appropriate data, it does submit proposals afterwards. Should I send my client the multilingual termbase instead of the TM?
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:53
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The originating quote Oct 22, 2011

Marina Steinbach wrote:
I am working with the German version of SDL Trados Suite 2011 and must be doing something fundamentally wrong.

FWIW, the post that prompted this question was this one from me:
http://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/210400-tms_from_clients.html#1827532

Hazel Underwood
Hazel Underwood  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:53
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
No "clean up" as such Oct 22, 2011

Hi Marina!

In Trados 2011 there is no official "clean up" as such unlike in Trados Workbench (2007 and earlier).

All you do in 2011 is Save Target As to create the "clean" file.

To update the TM, you need to use the batch tasks - either update project TM or update main TMs, choose this depending on which you are sending back to your client (if they have specifically asked for this).

If you have created a MT termbase, this is your property. So d
... See more
Hi Marina!

In Trados 2011 there is no official "clean up" as such unlike in Trados Workbench (2007 and earlier).

To update the TM, you need to use the batch tasks - either update project TM or update main TMs, choose this depending on which you are sending back to your client (if they have specifically asked for this).

If you have created a MT termbase, this is your property. So do not send it to the client unless they have specifically asked you to create one and you have agreed to do so.
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Cleaning up... Oct 22, 2011

Hi,

The equivalent in Studio to "Clean up" would be the "Finalise" batch task. This will update all TMs being used and create the target files.

However, I think Marina may be talking about bilingual word files. If you are working with these the "Clean up" in Studio will update the Studio TMs and create a bilingual word file with the finished translation in it. If you want to get the target word file then you still have to do this in Workbench. The process is docume
... See more
Hi,

The equivalent in Studio to "Clean up" would be the "Finalise" batch task. This will update all TMs being used and create the target files.

However, I think Marina may be talking about bilingual word files. If you are working with these the "Clean up" in Studio will update the Studio TMs and create a bilingual word file with the finished translation in it. If you want to get the target word file then you still have to do this in Workbench. The process is documented here:

http://tinyurl.com/Studio2011-bilingualword

Regards

Paul
Collapse

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 23, 2011

Hazel Underwood wrote:

If you have created a MT termbase, this is your property. So do not send it to the client unless they have specifically asked you to create one and you have agreed to do so.

This information is very helpful. Thank you, Hazel.

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 23, 2011

Paul wrote:

However, I think Marina may be talking about bilingual word files. If you are working with these the "Clean up" in Studio will update the Studio TMs and create a bilingual word file with the finished translation in it. If you want to get the target word file then you still have to do this in Workbench. The process is documented here:

http://tinyurl.com/Studio2011-bilingualword

I will try this tomorrow. Thank you very much, Paul.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes, but what are the steps? Oct 23, 2011

Hazel Underwood wrote:

Marina's original question related to a client asking for an updated TM after she had delivered a translation. The client had given her an existing TM beforehand. Assuming that she had accidentally polluted the loaded TM with translations from another client, what would the steps be for her to update the client's original TM with the translation that she had done, so that the returned TM contains only the original segments plus her translations from that client?

In Trados 2007 the steps would have been: In Workbench, load a copy of the client's *original* TM, then go Tools > Clean Up, then drag-and-drop the TTX file (or Uncleaned RTF file) onto the dialog, and then click the Clean Up button. The loaded TM will then be updated. Nothing could be simpler. What are the steps in Trados 2009?

[Edited at 2011-10-23 08:11 GMT]

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
The steps Oct 23, 2011

Hi Samuel,

Depends on whether the clients original TM was a 2009/2011 TM or a 2007 TM.

For 2007 it's exactly the same. Clean up the translated file in Workbench.

For 2009/2011 add the clients TM to your Project, check update against it and run the update memories batch task. Alternatively just import your sdlxliff into their TM... probably easier and only a couple of steps.

Regards

Paul

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Member (2011)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
To all of you great supporting people out there! Oct 24, 2011

To explain the situation:

1)

After the first order, my client remarked in German:

"Ich benötige die gecleante Word-Datei in Englisch sowie die uncleaned ttx oder Word Datei zur Aktualisierung meines TMs hier. Mein Liefertermin ist bereits morgen, ich hoffe, dass dies für Sie in Ordnung ist."

My rough translation:

"I need the cleaned word file in English as well as the uncleaned ttx or word file to update my TMs here. My delivery
... See more
To explain the situation:

1)

After the first order, my client remarked in German:

"Ich benötige die gecleante Word-Datei in Englisch sowie die uncleaned ttx oder Word Datei zur Aktualisierung meines TMs hier. Mein Liefertermin ist bereits morgen, ich hoffe, dass dies für Sie in Ordnung ist."

My rough translation:

"I need the cleaned word file in English as well as the uncleaned ttx or word file to update my TMs here. My delivery date is already tomorrow, so I hope that this is ok for you."

2)

Regarding the the second order, my client remarked:

"Bitte verwenden Sie Trados, denn im Memory werden Sie eine Menge Begriffe finden! Und bitte schicken Sie außer der clean Word Datei auch eine unclean Datei zurück (Word oder ttx)."

My rough translation:

"Please use Trados, because you will find a lot of terms in the memory! And, please do not only return the clean word file, but also the unclean file (word or ttx)."

I am an experienced translator, but have only worked with SDL Trados Suite 2009/2011 since June 2011. Therefore, please be kind to me

[Edited at 2011-10-24 03:47 GMT]
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
clean and unclean Oct 24, 2011

Your client has clearly stated in both cases that he wants the finished translation (clean file) and the bilingual version (unclean file) either in Word or ttx format.
He isn't asking you for the TM.

The only problem is that if you did the translation in Studio and didn't create a ttx first, then your only unclean file is going to be a sdlxliff (Studio format). In that case, learn from this mistake, and always create a ttx for these clients in the future.

The so
... See more
Your client has clearly stated in both cases that he wants the finished translation (clean file) and the bilingual version (unclean file) either in Word or ttx format.
He isn't asking you for the TM.

The only problem is that if you did the translation in Studio and didn't create a ttx first, then your only unclean file is going to be a sdlxliff (Studio format). In that case, learn from this mistake, and always create a ttx for these clients in the future.

The solution right now is to create the ttx, pretranslate it with your TM in Studio and then save as a ttx file again. You won't get a 100% translated file, but it should be much faster than translating from scratch.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Your client wanted an Uncleaned RTF or TagEditor file Oct 24, 2011

Marina Steinbach wrote:
I need the (1) cleaned word file in English as well as (2) the uncleaned ttx OR word file (3) to update my TMs here.

The client is asking for two things...
1. The cleaned Word file (i.e. the "finalised" file, in Trados 2009/11 terminology)
2. The uncleaned file (i.e. the bilingual file format), and he wants it in either TagEditor (he calls it "ttx", which is the file extension) or Uncleaned RTF (he calls it "uncleaned ... word file").

...because the client wants to do one thing:
3. He wants to update his TM. The way he would do that would be to load his TM in his Trados, and then clean up your uncleaned file, which thereby updates the TM.

If you sent your client only #1, then he would not be able to perform #3 unless you also sent him either the updated TM or a new TM based on the translation. This is why he eventually asked for the TM.

If you had used Trados 2009/11 instead of Trados 2007, then you would not have been able to deliver either of the uncleaned files that the client had specified, because Trados 2009/11 can't generate either of those file types (although there is a small program called TTX It that you can use as a work-around to create TTX files). A second-best option in such a case would be to send the client a TM that you created using the translation.

You say that you underwent training in using Trados 2009/11. I find it extremely poor that the trainer had neglected to explain to you (a) the different Trados formats that clients may ask for and (b) the fact that some clients want a bilingual file (i.e. uncleaned file) from you and (c) how to create an export TM from a specific file's translation. These are extremely important issues for translators who use Trados 2009/11 when doing work for *agencies*.

==

SDL TTX It
To deliver TTX files, you need to download and install "SDL TTX It!".
http://www.translationzone.com/en/openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=1

Basically, you create a TTX file, and then you translate the TTX file in Trados 2009/11. However, if the client wants you to deliver a cleaned file also, then you would have to re-translate the original file against the TM a second time, if I understand correctly.

I'm not sure about it, but it looks like you would have to install Trados 2007 as well, although you don't need a license for it, because TTX It will simply use the installed files to do its magic. Can anyone confirm this?

[Edited at 2011-10-24 08:26 GMT]

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
TTX It Oct 24, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

I'm not sure about it, but it looks like you would have to install Trados 2007 as well, although you don't need a license for it, because TTX It will simply use the installed files to do its magic. Can anyone confirm this?

If you have Studio 2009, you can only use TTxIt if you have Trados 2007 installed on the same machine.
If you have Studio 2011, TTxIt will be installed with it (as a separate application), and Trados 2007 is no longer necessary.

I'm sure about this because Paul from SDL confirmed this just the other day on another thread.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TMs from Clients

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »