Completed translation does not show source column
Thread poster: Paula DeFilippo

Paula DeFilippo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:45
Member (2015)
French to English
Mar 15, 2015

Hello! I recently purchased Wordfast Pro and I love it. However, I simply cannot figure out what I am doing wrong: I translated my file, which came from my client in the typical Word table setup with the source material in the left-hand column with some tags, and a blank right-hand column in which to insert the target language translation. As I translated it in Wordfast everything appeared to be normal. I spell-checked and cross-checked the doc and then saved it using "save translation as". The problem comes when I look at the resulting Word document: the target language translation appears in the source column, and the target (right-hand) column is blank. What am I doing wrong? Thank you in advance for your help!

Direct link Reply with quote

Minh Nguyen  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 05:45
English to Vietnamese
Billingual External File Mar 15, 2015

Paula DeFilippo wrote:

Hello! I recently purchased Wordfast Pro and I love it. However, I simply cannot figure out what I am doing wrong: I translated my file, which came from my client in the typical Word table setup with the source material in the left-hand column with some tags, and a blank right-hand column in which to insert the target language translation. As I translated it in Wordfast everything appeared to be normal. I spell-checked and cross-checked the doc and then saved it using "save translation as". The problem comes when I look at the resulting Word document: the target language translation appears in the source column, and the target (right-hand) column is blank. What am I doing wrong? Thank you in advance for your help!

Hi Paula,

The client may have sent you an external review word/rtf file for you to translate. This kind of file is supposed to be used by those who do not own a cat tool. There is no problem using your WFP to translate the file. Once you have finished the translation, open the original file and copy "translation appears in the source column" to the right column of your original file. Here are some sample external files from memoQ, Trados and Wordfast Pro.

MemoQ

Trados

Wordfast Pro

Paula DeFilippo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:45
Member (2015)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Wow! Thank you for the very logical, simple fix!! Mar 15, 2015

Thank you, Linh! This saved me so much anxiety - and it was so easy! Thank you for taking the time to send me the screen shots and the perfect explanation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completed translation does not show source column

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search