Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 21:29
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Jun 29, 2003

Only your bank (or the bank of your partner) can give you the correct IBAN.

For mor info:
http://www.ecbs.org/

Here is also an excerpt from the regulaion:

The Regulation establishes the principle of equal charges for domestic payments and cross-border payments in euros. There should be no difference in the charges applied simply because the payment crosses a border (Artic
... See more
Only your bank (or the bank of your partner) can give you the correct IBAN.

For mor info:
http://www.ecbs.org/

Here is also an excerpt from the regulaion:

The Regulation establishes the principle of equal charges for domestic payments and cross-border payments in euros. There should be no difference in the charges applied simply because the payment crosses a border (Articles 1 and 3);

It requires banks to inform their customers on the charges they apply for all payment services; among other things, they have to give advance notice of any changes in tariffs before applying them (Article 4);

It lays down standards to facilitate the automation of payment systems. Standards such as the International Bank Account Number and the Bank Identifier Code are thus made all but compulsory (Article 5). Banks must indicate them on account statements and companies on their invoices. Likewise, a range of national rules, such as statistical reporting obligations, which make practical distinctions between domestic and cross-border payments will be either eliminated or harmonised (Article 6).
(http://europa.eu.int/rapid/start/cgi/guesten.ksh?p_action.gettxt=gt&doc=MEMO/02/154|0|RAPID&lg=EN&display)

BR

Mats J C Wiman
Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe
http://www.MatsWiman.com
http://www.Deutsch-Schwedisch.com
http://www.proz.com/translator/1749
(ProZ.com deu>swe & forum moderator)
eMail : [email protected]
Street: Träsk 201
Tel : +46-612-54112
Fax : +46-612-54181
Mobile: +46-70-5769797
Collapse

Jana Teteris
Jana Teteris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:29
Latvian to English
+ ...
Agree! Jun 29, 2003

A quick call to your bank is all it takes to get your own IBAN and SWIFT code. (At least that's the case for the UK!)

[Edited at 2003-06-29 16:02]

Michaela Müller
Michaela Müller
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Online-Service for German people Jun 29, 2003

Just yesterday I wanted and needed to know my IBAN, and I called the Deutsche Bank hotline. They didn't want to tell me my IBAN without a telephone code I should have ordered before calling...German customer service!

I searched the internet and I found out that some German banks (e.g. Sparkasse, Landesbank Berlin) offer an online-service to their customers: on their web sites you can calculate your personal IBAN by entering your account number.
The important part of the IBAN i
... See more
Just yesterday I wanted and needed to know my IBAN, and I called the Deutsche Bank hotline. They didn't want to tell me my IBAN without a telephone code I should have ordered before calling...German customer service!

I searched the internet and I found out that some German banks (e.g. Sparkasse, Landesbank Berlin) offer an online-service to their customers: on their web sites you can calculate your personal IBAN by entering your account number.
The important part of the IBAN is the 2-digit code (Prüfziffer) that only your bank is able to tell you. Therefore, you will not be able to calculate the IBAN by yourself.

Maybe some banks in other countries than Germany offer the same online-service, so you can get your IBAN when you need it and not only during the opening hours of your bank.
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 22:29
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
The hardest part Jun 29, 2003

is to make EU customers and even banks to understand, that IBAN applies ONLY to EU member states and I do not have powers to assign IBAN code to Latvia, which will become EU member (hopefully, if referendum goes right) only next year. Last month I had to explain this to about 30 customers and to a few of their banks, to some of them thrice((

Uldis

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
IBAN Jun 29, 2003

What do you mean is only for EU customers? I thought it was an easy way to send or get money all around the world.

Lien

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 22:29
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
The list of countries Jun 30, 2003

http://www.ecbs.org/:

Countries where the Regulation is applicable

AT Austria AT Yes
BE Belgium BE Yes
DE Germany DE Yes
DK Denmark DK Yes
ES Spain, including Canary Islands ES Yes
FI Finland FI Yes
FO Faroe Islands1 FO No
FR France FR Yes
GB United Kingdom of Great Britain and
Northern Ireland
GB or IE 2 Yes
GF French Guian
... See more
http://www.ecbs.org/:

Countries where the Regulation is applicable

AT Austria AT Yes
BE Belgium BE Yes
DE Germany DE Yes
DK Denmark DK Yes
ES Spain, including Canary Islands ES Yes
FI Finland FI Yes
FO Faroe Islands1 FO No
FR France FR Yes
GB United Kingdom of Great Britain and
Northern Ireland
GB or IE 2 Yes
GF French Guiana FR Yes
GI Gibraltar GI Yes
GL Greenland1 GL No
GP Guadeloupe FR Yes
GR Greece GR Yes
IE Republic of Ireland IE Yes
IT Italy IT Yes
LU Luxembourg LU Yes
MQ Martinique FR Yes
NL The Netherlands NL Yes
PT Portugal, including Azores and Madeira PT Yes
RE Réunion FR Yes
SE Sweden SE Yes
Notes:
a ISO 31661-1 Country Code used in BICs
b Country code used in IBANs according to ECBS TR201
c Validation of the MT 103+ on the SWIFT Network
1 Belongs to Denmark. The IBAN is structured in same way as that of Denmark, except for
the country code.
2 IE for accounts from Northern Ireland possible when account-servicing bank uses the
clearing system in the Republic of Ireland

===========================
Uldis
Collapse

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
More than a quick call in the UK! Jun 30, 2003

[quote]Jana Teteris wrote:

A quick call to your bank is all it takes to get your own IBAN and SWIFT code. (At least that's the case for the UK!)
On calling the customer help desk of my UK bank, at first, I was given my Swift code instead of the IBAN number, then, I was told to contact my local branch. At my local branch, I had to explain to my Bank Manager what an IBAN was.... He went away to check the procedure. It had to be 'requested' and I only received it in the post 3 days later... Nothing very quick about it. My bank still claims I'm the only customer of this branch so far who's asked for an IBAN number! This country still is an island. Also, my bank denies that charges for transfers to the continent will be abolished in July, so I don't know whether the new EU regulation applies here.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Confirmed by the UK Treasury Jun 30, 2003

Hi Anne,
We discussed the same issue in another thread, so I'll be brief here.

On calling the customer help desk of my UK bank, at first, I was given my Swift code instead of the IBAN number, then, I was told to contact my local branch. At my local branch, I had to explain to my Bank Manager what an IBAN was.... He went away to check the procedure. It had to be 'requested' and I only received it in the post 3 days later... Nothing very quick about it. My bank still claims I'm the only customer of this branch so far who's asked for an IBAN number! This country still is an island.

Very true, particularly as financial services to small businesses are concerned. May I ask which bank you're using?

Also, my bank denies that charges for transfers to the continent will be abolished in July, so I don't know whether the new EU regulation applies here.

Why don't you show them the information posted by the UK Treasury?

Best regards, Ralf

Jana Teteris
Jana Teteris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Latvian to English
+ ...
Didn't intend to mislead anyone..... Jun 30, 2003

Anne
Sorry to hear you encountered such difficulties. I should have been more specific in my earlier comment. I bank with Barclays and they gave me the IBAN number over the phone. Admittedly I already had a Euro account set up, which may have helped .........oh, and my account is at a London branch.

Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
UK banks and IBAN Jun 30, 2003

The bank I was talking about was the HSBC.
I've banked with them for 16 years and they are a good bank, but I did find their ignorance of IBAN up to 10 days ago amazing. Will show them the legislation referred to above. Thanks.
--- Just checked the HSBC website for business accounts; but could not find any mention of the new legislation. The HSBC operator I then spoke to had not heard of the new legislation. Am waiting for the Kettering branch to call me back tomorrow morning...... See more
I've banked with them for 16 years and they are a good bank, but I did find their ignorance of IBAN up to 10 days ago amazing. Will show them the legislation referred to above. Thanks.
--- Just checked the HSBC website for business accounts; but could not find any mention of the new legislation. The HSBC operator I then spoke to had not heard of the new legislation. Am waiting for the Kettering branch to call me back tomorrow morning...

[Edited at 2003-06-30 16:25]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Show them their own website... Jun 30, 2003

Why don't you ask the to go to their own website? Go to "Business Banking" - "International Business" and have a look at the right-hand subnavigation: "Related links"... yessss! "Using IBANs"...

Good luck, Ralf

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Barclays knows something about it Jun 30, 2003

I just phoned Barclays Bank helpline and was given a number to call for my IBAN number (the number is only available during office hours and I'm too late for that today, so I'll phone the number tomorrow).

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
You can check on the Barclays website Jun 30, 2003

Hi Jack,
The Barclays website contains an IBAN "generator" where you can calculate your IBAN based on your sort code and account number. Click here for the page; if it doesn't work, go through their main website and follow the navigation:
-> Business Banking
-> Products & Services
-> Small Business
... See more
Hi Jack,
The Barclays website contains an IBAN "generator" where you can calculate your IBAN based on your sort code and account number. Click here for the page; if it doesn't work, go through their main website and follow the navigation:
-> Business Banking
-> Products & Services
-> Small Business
-> Trading Overseas
-> Exporting
-> International Bank Account Numbers
-> Generate IBAN

Worth noting on the same page:

Generate IBAN for Inbound Payments

For each of your UK Barclays bank accounts you can create a unique International Bank Account Number (IBAN).

You will need to provide your payer with the valid IBAN for your account together with Barclays SWIFTBIC (Bank Identifier Code) which is BARCGB22. The payer should then include your IBAN and the SWIFTBIC in their payment instruction to their bankers to ensure the payment is processed to your account as quickly and efficiently as possible.

We will not charge you for processing payments from EU Member States in euro for €12,500 or less if they contain your IBAN and SWIFTBIC details.

Seems to be working... the next challenge is to get your local branch to understand it, too...

HTH - Ralf
Collapse

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
same as Anne here Jun 30, 2003

I had the same problem with NatWest.
I must have spoken with all the sections of the bank and they even passed me with foreign payments in Liverpool (for sending payments) when I was asking for my IBAN to RECEIVE payment.
Noone new what I was talking about. They finally said they'd ring back and eventually got it sorted.
I was the only/first customer in the branch (in Wakefield) to ask for the code and had to "inform" them what the IBAN code was for and that it was mentioned i
... See more
I had the same problem with NatWest.
I must have spoken with all the sections of the bank and they even passed me with foreign payments in Liverpool (for sending payments) when I was asking for my IBAN to RECEIVE payment.
Noone new what I was talking about. They finally said they'd ring back and eventually got it sorted.
I was the only/first customer in the branch (in Wakefield) to ask for the code and had to "inform" them what the IBAN code was for and that it was mentioned in their site on the internet.
Amazing!
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Thanks for IBAN information Jun 30, 2003

Thank you, Ralf. I now have my IBAN and you have saved me the cost of a phone call.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Important!: Do not try to 'construct' an IBAN

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »