Thread poster: Sylvia Germroth Nordebo
Radian Yazynin
Radian Yazynin  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:58
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
As a result Feb 10, 2015

of those numerous QA procedures we still find errors or inaccuracies. I just had a look at one of sites claimed by a respected agency to be their work...

[Edited at 2015-02-10 10:34 GMT]

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 15:58
Chinese to English
War footing Feb 10, 2015

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

.... is quality! Is nobody interested in that anymore? (I mean clients)

Short deadlines/fast turnarounds and low rates will produce bad quality.

I don't know if there was a golden age when agencies, clients and translators collaborated in happy concord to produce wondrous results. But I've never experienced it. During my career it has always been a battle to impose good quality, and for the most part a lonely battle.

I don't really mind - I kinda think this is how it's supposed to be. Clients have their own priorities, and want everything yesterday. Agencies exist primarily to extract money, so we shouldn't expect too much help there. Translation is my thing, so I expect to be the one advocating for the purely translation-related aspects of the project.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:58
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
The answer is quiet simple Feb 10, 2015

If you can't guarantee the quality, don't accept the job.

I don't know about you, but when I have to deliver a translation, I want to deliver a 'piece of (translation) art' to the best of my abilities. For me each translation (even after all those years) still is a challenge.

If I can't do that in the given time frame (of course I also first try negociate about the deadline), I say no. Next time more luck.

[Edited at 2015-02-10 22:59 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Deadlines becoming tighter – a trend?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »