Thread poster: Sandeep Kumar Talla
Sandeep Kumar Talla
Sandeep Kumar Talla
Local time: 09:31
English
+ ...
Sep 19, 2007

Hi,

I would like to know how are media files translated in a CAT from one language to other language. and does XLIFF support media files like .jpeg, .avi etc...

I appreciate your opinions and discussions on this.

Regards,
Sandeep

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
There is a myriad of other tools Sep 19, 2007

Actually, in the world of translation and localization a myriad of other tools apart from "ordinary" CAT tools exist.

JPEG, e.g., is one file type that I would personally classify as non-translateable. I.e, what you have to do is extract the text from an image file (including png, gif, etc.), and that either happens manually or you have to find a tool that does what you need. There is no CAT tool that supports these files.

AVI is a whole different thing. AFAIK, .avi is
... See more
Actually, in the world of translation and localization a myriad of other tools apart from "ordinary" CAT tools exist.

JPEG, e.g., is one file type that I would personally classify as non-translateable. I.e, what you have to do is extract the text from an image file (including png, gif, etc.), and that either happens manually or you have to find a tool that does what you need. There is no CAT tool that supports these files.

AVI is a whole different thing. AFAIK, .avi is a container format, and it includes the video material plus the sound material. It cannot be said beforehand what file type the video or audio material will have (it can be anything from mpeg to wmv for video and wav to mp3 for the video). If you just need to have the sound file (to extract the text) then again, there are third-party tools out there that will separate audio from video, and then you can go on transcribing the audio file.

If you need subtitling a different tool will be necessary. Again, ordinary CAT tools are not capable of this.

What this all has to do with XLIFF is not clear to me.

Sonja
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Depends, and yes Sep 19, 2007

Sandeep Kumar Talla wrote:
I would like to know how are media files translated in a CAT from one language to other language.

Depends on the media, but if the CAT tool doesn't have a dedicated plugin or filter for the specific media file, it is usually translated in plaintext in code. Some media files are merely output products, and if you want to use CAT to translate them, you have to translate the files that make up the final product before it becomes the final product.

...and does XLIFF support media files like .jpeg, .avi etc...

No, XLIFF only supports text formats. However, if you media file originates as a text format, then you may well be able to use XLIFF for it.

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 14:31
English to Indonesian
+ ...
different tool for different format Sep 20, 2007

for jpeg, you can use ocr to extract the text. then cat tool to translate the extracted text.
for avi, I think it would need subtitling more than translation.

[Edited at 2007-09-20 01:40]

Sandeep Kumar Talla
Sandeep Kumar Talla
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
XLIFF support to media files ?? Sep 20, 2007

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:
What this all has to do with XLIFF is not clear to me.
Sonja

Hi sonja,

Thanks for ur reply. Well my organization is planning to implement XLIFF file format for translation. So i wanted to know whether XLIFF can support media files.

Regards,
Sandeep

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How media files are translated in CAT ?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »