Teaching English: NOT a translation or interpreting job
Thread poster: liberation
liberation
liberation  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
Feb 7, 2004

I note the unfortunate inclusion of a call for resumes for the position of "English Teacher" by Tianyuan Institute in the list of Translation/Interpreting jobs (Jan 29).

I suggest that such jobs NOT be listed on this site, because:

*** Teaching English is not a translation/interpreting job

*** Proz.com best fulfills its mission when it focuses on the needs and concerns of professional translators/interpreters

*** Such announcements for English
... See more
I note the unfortunate inclusion of a call for resumes for the position of "English Teacher" by Tianyuan Institute in the list of Translation/Interpreting jobs (Jan 29).

*** Proz.com best fulfills its mission when it focuses on the needs and concerns of professional translators/interpreters

*** Such announcements for English teachers to work in China are a dime-a-dozen and can easily be found elsewhere

Bruce Humes
Shenzhen, China
Collapse

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:13
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Welcome back to ProZ.com! Feb 7, 2004

Bruce Humes wrote:

*** Such announcements for English teachers to work in China are a dime-a-dozen and can easily be found elsewhere

Bruce Humes
Shenzhen, China

Hey, Bruce,

Great to hear from you! I noticed that you specifically wrote "Shenzhen, China" at the end your message. So I can assume you are back to Shenzhen now. I like that city a lot myself. Welcome back to ProZ.com, too!

I did not see that job posting myself. I totally agree with you that ProZ.com is not a place for searching English teachers. I guess the person who posted it believes that one who can translate English must be able to teach English. I am not sure about that. If they just want a native English speaker to practice conversational English with the students, that might be less critical.

Kevin

[Edited at 2004-02-07 08:57]

Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 23:13
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Same job posted on Yahoo Feb 7, 2004

Well, the same job was posted on Yahoo Groups too!!

I applied for the translation project and I was even asked to do a sample translation. Personally, I was quite pleased with my work but I didn't hear anything from the other party after I submitted my sample translation. Now, I am beginning to wonder if it is a call for translation work or English teachers.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Teaching English: NOT a translation or interpreting job

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »