Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32] >
Comprehensive KudoZ update released
Thread poster: Jason Grimes
langnet
langnet  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 04:32
Italian to German
+ ...
"Restrictions" Aug 19, 2005

Henry wrote:

Given the number of KudoZ askers who used the "restrictions" options (a better term might be "targeting"), it does seem that we did not provide the option in as clear a manner as we should have. Thanks for the feedback! We have made the asking form, and the display page, a bit clearer.

To explain our objective with this, in providing the new options to askers, we are thinking of the asker who says "I would like a way to ask a question specifically to those working in this field...", or, "I am curious to hear what native speakers think on this one". No judgment is being passed, at least on our part, as to anyone's *ability* to answer--it is a simple matter of providing an asker with options.

Hi Henry,

as it seems that my suggestions seem to have been considered to some extent, I was a bit curious and visited the updated Question Posting Form.
May I "critizise" it however?

The wording is still not quite clear. And not all ProZies read and know English well. IMHO opinion, the wording is not much clearer as before, especially to non English native speakers.

The point is: the concept of "targeting" still is not clear. There is the section "Public question - Anyone may view this question." Ok, I'm able to understand this. Then:

"Target your question at answerers who meet the following criteria:

Use these options carefully; they will reduce the number of answers you receive"

OK, I understand this also, but what shall I DO THEN asking a question? Is it possible not to make ANY selection at all (this, currently, is NOT CLEAR)? The point is: it is still not clear if these selections are mandatory or only optional. Do I, as an asker, HAVE to make a selection or CAN I make a selection if I want to? CAN I leave, for example, "--Target..." in all lists if I want not to select any restrictions?

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 22:32
SITE FOUNDER
What we are doing is allowing the asker to decide who s/he wants to ask for help Aug 19, 2005

Daniel Coria wrote:

Henry wrote:

To explain our objective with this, in providing the new options to askers, we are thinking of the asker who says "I would like a way to ask a question specifically to those working in this field...", or, "I am curious to hear what native speakers think on this one". No judgment is being passed, at least on our part, as to anyone's *ability* to answer--it is a simple matter of providing an asker with options.

I agree with (and highly welcome) the idea of "targeting" and the intention of providing more options to an asker who wishes to hear what a specific answerer thinks about his or her question; I just think it can be done by sorting answers/answerers as per the asker's criteria (fields of expertise, native language declared, credentials, etc.) rather than by providing the means for preventing a member from making a contribution, which might also prevent the asker from receiving a potentially excellent and accurate answer to be used in his or her work.

I see your point, but to put things in perspective, consider that some members now send term questions, privately, to certain KudoZ answers with whom they have developed rapport. What we have decided to do is support this type of action, and make it more convenient; now askers can "officially" direct their questions to private groups or individuals, while continuing to build the glossaries. One might make the argument that the asker is limiting the field of answerers, and will miss out on some excellent responses, but at the end of the day I think it is appropriate for the asker to be the one who decides who he wants to ask for help.

Heidi C
Heidi C  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Regarding preferences Aug 19, 2005

I´m thinking that something that would work is implementing in some way the fact that the answerer should try to explain in some way/her answer. Some askers actually request this!

I know that something has to be written in the "Explanation" box, but many times just anything is typed in...

I know doing this might take more time, but it is really worth it.

The whole problem about wild guesses, literal translations, suggestions that are really off base, suge
... See more
I´m thinking that something that would work is implementing in some way the fact that the answerer should try to explain in some way/her answer. Some askers actually request this!

I know that something has to be written in the "Explanation" box, but many times just anything is typed in...

I know doing this might take more time, but it is really worth it.

The whole problem about wild guesses, literal translations, suggestions that are really off base, sugestions no native speaker or professional would accept, or just answering without having even finished reading the question in order to get the points, etc. would be limited a lot by this. And the asker would be able to pick an answer in a more informed manner.

Also, just like the option of adding definitions, this would make the glossaries be more trustworthy, useful and professional.
Collapse

Daniel Coria
Daniel Coria  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 23:32
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Excellent application of the same concept... Aug 19, 2005

Michele Fauble wrote:

Instead, I would suggest that askers be given the option to indicate a PREFERENCE for native speaker answerers. Then, if an answerer feels that he or she, despite being a non-native, nevertheless has a worthy contribution to offer, the option to answer is not denied.

Also, irrespective of whether or not an asker has indicated a preference for native language answerers, I feel it is of utmost importance that the native language of answerers, and of those who post comments, be prominently displayed with their answers and comments.

I think Michele's suggestions is excellent; giving the potential answerer the option to refrain from entering an answer, rather than preventing him or her from answering at all. A note could be added such as:

Note: The asker would like to receive answers to this question preferably from a native speaker of the target language. Please post your answer only if you think your target language competence matches that of a native speaker.

Again, that's just a suggestion...

Hope it helps!

Daniel

Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
gone a bit too far maybe? Aug 20, 2005

Klaus Herrmann wrote:

Overall, I think it's a major step away from the open place I was so much attracted to. Excuse me for putting it in very plain words, but I'd rather put up with a few foul plays than an abundance of rules, regulations and filter settings.

Klaus, I couldn't put it better.

Yes, there are some nice new features, but all in all, the site seems to be drifting away from its original, lovely nature of a simply structured workplace with a lively exchange of experience, thought and knowledge. Correct me if I'm wrong.

One thing I find particularly annoying: the list of questions on the homepage is now displayed according to criteria set in my recent "show more questions" query. I'd rather have all the questions asked in my language pairs on the homepage.

Regards to all

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 23:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Whose gossary is my glossary? Aug 20, 2005

Testing the new features and doing some search, I happened to run into my own glossary and it does not have my name, it just says "non-platinum member". However, I HAVE BEEN A PLATINUM SINCE APRIL 2005. Besides, it`s MY glossary, isn`t it?
And - furthermore- it used to be under my name before these changes. I assume it must be some kind of bug. Can any site staff member help, please?
thanx.

Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
Forum search Aug 20, 2005

may I? I'd like to bring up again something I'd suggested some time ago. Could you maybe look into it once more?
I'd be most grateful.
http://www.proz.com/topic/32905

Regards,
Agnieszka

Alexander Schleber (X)
Alexander Schleber (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
German to English
+ ...
Dashboard / Gloss Aug 20, 2005

I miss two things in the new KudoZ.

a) The dashboard doe snot have a feature that lets you view and then edit your specilaity flags immediately. Ought to be there, no?

b) When grading one used to be able to post the gloss immediately by pushing a button, even already inserting the selected answer in the gloss fields. That's gone. Now one has to go back and push the gloss button specifically for this, and has to copy and paste the answer.

Hopefully this can
... See more
I miss two things in the new KudoZ.

a) The dashboard doe snot have a feature that lets you view and then edit your specilaity flags immediately. Ought to be there, no?

b) When grading one used to be able to post the gloss immediately by pushing a button, even already inserting the selected answer in the gloss fields. That's gone. Now one has to go back and push the gloss button specifically for this, and has to copy and paste the answer.

Hopefully this can be added/corrected.
Alexander
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Comprehensive KudoZ update released

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »