matjaz
matjaz
Slovenia
Local time: 22:10
Slovenian to German
+ ...
Aug 12, 2008

Hey!

I have a huge problem with Trados and I sincerely hope one of you will be able to help me! Here's the thing......5 days ago I've started translating a 42mb file....and I was nearly finished like 2,3 hours ago....just had like 5% of the file left to translate when suddeny my computer crashed. I didn't worry at first....but when I turned on the computer again, I saw that the ttx file plumeted from 42mb to only 14mb....I thought to myself strange....then I couldn't open the file..
... See more
Hey!

I have a huge problem with Trados and I sincerely hope one of you will be able to help me! Here's the thing......5 days ago I've started translating a 42mb file....and I was nearly finished like 2,3 hours ago....just had like 5% of the file left to translate when suddeny my computer crashed. I didn't worry at first....but when I turned on the computer again, I saw that the ttx file plumeted from 42mb to only 14mb....I thought to myself strange....then I couldn't open the file...due to this error........ I browsed the forums and found a solution of copying the last lines from another ttx files into my file....and it worked!!!! But when I opened my file then I saw that although it was translated, it contained only a third of the whole text of the file (ergo 14 out of 42mb!) But now i'm missing 28mb of my ttx file!?!?! I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out pls...I'm going mad!! Thx in advance!
Collapse

Doron Greenspan MITI
Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 23:10
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Saving the TM Aug 13, 2008

Hi,

I wouldn't know where to start fixing the corrupted file, BUT why don't you take the (hopefully good) TM and go to another good pc/laptop, then apply that TM onto a 'virgin' version of that document?

I'd also split that large doc (you didn't say whether it's so huge due to a large number of pages or to lots of tables/images). Work on smaller chunks first, then merge them (AFTER cleanup).

Please ask if you need more clarifications.

Good luck
... See more
Hi,

I wouldn't know where to start fixing the corrupted file, BUT why don't you take the (hopefully good) TM and go to another good pc/laptop, then apply that TM onto a 'virgin' version of that document?

I'd also split that large doc (you didn't say whether it's so huge due to a large number of pages or to lots of tables/images). Work on smaller chunks first, then merge them (AFTER cleanup).

Please ask if you need more clarifications.

Good luck, Doron
Collapse

matjaz
matjaz
Slovenia
Slovenian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Don't understand really Aug 13, 2008

Hey! First of all thx for replying so fast..... I must apologize....I'm quite new with Trados.....and have some questions, don't laugh pls

1. What does TM stand for?
2. How do I apply TM onto a virgin version of this document?

Thx for you answers

Bye, Matjaz

Doron Greenspan MITI
Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
More info Aug 13, 2008

No problem, we've all been there, and Trados is a tough client...

TM=Translation Memory.
Virgin version=in TagEditor, open the source file that you received from the client, before you started translating it.

1. In your current pc, copy the TM (you must copy all 5 TM files carrying the same name - they always go together when you move them around).
2. Paste the 5 files into the desktop of the new pc.
3. On the new pc, after installing Trados of cours
... See more
No problem, we've all been there, and Trados is a tough client...

TM=Translation Memory.
Virgin version=in TagEditor, open the source file that you received from the client, before you started translating it.

1. In your current pc, copy the TM (you must copy all 5 TM files carrying the same name - they always go together when you move them around).
2. Paste the 5 files into the desktop of the new pc.
3. On the new pc, after installing Trados of course, open the ttx document and Trados.
4. Try translating from scratch (after opening the newly copied TM) - you should be getting 100% matches, as the TM picks up your original translations.

Depending on the source file (you didn't say which format they are), if you know how to do it, try breaking it into smaller chunks; maybe the problem is in one place only, and that will be the chunk that will give you trouble.

Doron
Collapse

matjaz
matjaz
Slovenia
Slovenian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hey Aug 13, 2008

Hey thx for all your helP!

THe problem is that I currently cannot use another PC....can I do what you suggested on my old pc? Please say yes
Source file: XML.

Doron Greenspan MITI
Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Same pc - possible Aug 13, 2008

Well, you can try, and if you know how to break an XML file without 'hurting' the tags (it's critical that you don't), you may succeed with a fresh start.
Hopefully then the problem, if any, will re-appear somewhere in a smaller file, which will be easier to analyse.

All this may work as long as the TM is not corrupted, of course...

Read all you can about previous posts regarding this error message - it's worth it!

matjaz
matjaz
Slovenia
Slovenian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hey Aug 13, 2008

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it!! I'll try everything, hope it works! Thanks again ! Bye bye ,

Matjaz

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
What I would do... Aug 13, 2008

if the system crashed, who knows what (else) has happened, so

i) make a copy of the TM (find out in TWB, where TM files reside, then copy away the whole subdirectory to a safe place)
ii) reorganise the TM (file/reorganise in TWB) - that should show, in what condition TM is

then the step I would do first on a system that behaves normally and where I succeeded to screw up ttx file or files:

iii) in TWB go to tools/translate and pretranslate the original
... See more
if the system crashed, who knows what (else) has happened, so

i) make a copy of the TM (find out in TWB, where TM files reside, then copy away the whole subdirectory to a safe place)
ii) reorganise the TM (file/reorganise in TWB) - that should show, in what condition TM is

then the step I would do first on a system that behaves normally and where I succeeded to screw up ttx file or files:

iii) in TWB go to tools/translate and pretranslate the original file, you have been working on (I guess by now you have all the copies of the damaged ttx, so no need to back it up first)

Lep pozdrav in upam, da bo vse v redu. 42M je ... mega (g).

Vito
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Having problems with error 40007

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »