Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:24
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 13, 2005

Once again, this forum has saved my life! (Well, maybe not my life, but at least it saved me a couple of hours of frustrating trial and error).

I thought I knew how to import Excel files into Multiterm, had done it several times in the past, but... it had been a while, and when I couldn't make it work, I came to the forum, and voila, I
... See more
Once again, this forum has saved my life! (Well, maybe not my life, but at least it saved me a couple of hours of frustrating trial and error).

I thought I knew how to import Excel files into Multiterm, had done it several times in the past, but... it had been a while, and when I couldn't make it work, I came to the forum, and voila, I found the answer here http://www.proz.com/post/260822#260822.

However, sometimes while navigating the many comments, back-and-forth questions and answers, I find that it takes a long time to get to what I really need, don't get me wrong, I enjoy reading the discussions, but sometimes I'm so pressed for time, I'd like to have quick access to the actual procedure that has been tried and has worked for others.

Which leads to my suggestion, and please forgive me if this is something that is already somewhere else in this forum.

So, my suggestion is:
Since so many of us seem to have common problems (as evidenced by the same questions being asked repeatedly), and many of the threads in the forum include true and tried solutions, why not create a "how to" section, maybe within the forum, where those key parts of the posts containing the solution could be listed? Perhaps the appropriate "how to" page could include a link to the original thread, for those who have the time and inclination to read the whole conversation, but the "how to" would contain only the basic instructions from the original post, nothing else, for quick solutions to common problems.

When someone asks a question and gets an answer that is clearly explained and works well, they could then suggest that this be added to the "how to" list, and the person who suggested the answer would be named as the author of the "how to".

Well, I hope this makes sense.

Thanks!

Nora
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 23:24
SITE FOUNDER
Good idea, Nora Nov 13, 2005

Thank you. I have added it to the todo list.

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:24
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Henry! Nov 13, 2005

: )

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion to moderator: "how to" section

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »