Thread poster: Steven Batti (X)
Steven Batti (X)
Steven Batti (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:47
Japanese to English
Jan 20, 2006

Hi everyone!

I'm a Japanese to English translator here at ProZ. Right now, I'm working on a personal project related to a baseball simulation game. We want the game to create realistic Hispanic names for Hispanic ballplayers.

Several sources have created two files for me, one with Hispanic first names, and one with Hispanic last names. However, I noticed that all of the files have no accents. Personally, I think the names would be more accurate if the name "Acuña" were
... See more
Hi everyone!

I'm a Japanese to English translator here at ProZ. Right now, I'm working on a personal project related to a baseball simulation game. We want the game to create realistic Hispanic names for Hispanic ballplayers.

Several sources have created two files for me, one with Hispanic first names, and one with Hispanic last names. However, I noticed that all of the files have no accents. Personally, I think the names would be more accurate if the name "Acuña" weren't written as "Acuna."

Unfortunately, I have no money for this project, and my Spanish is terrible. So, I'm looking for volunteers to help me add accents to these files. Just to be clear - this is not a job offer! I am only looking for volunteers!

If you would like to help with this, post here, and I will contact you. A copy of the files can be found here if you would like to look:

http://www.battisti.us/stuff/ootp/hispanic_first_names.txt
http://www.battisti.us/stuff/ootp/hispanic_last_names.txt

Thanks very much!

Steve Battisti
Collapse

Ines Garcia Botana
Ines Garcia Botana  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
I can help you Jan 20, 2006

Just tell me what I can do.

Cheers.

Inés

Valeria Verholen (X)
Valeria Verholen (X)
Local time: 20:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
I would love to help you Steven Jan 20, 2006

Steven Battisti wrote:

Hi everyone!

Several sources have created two files for me, one with Hispanic first names, and one with Hispanic last names. However, I noticed that all of the files have no accents. Personally, I think the names would be more accurate if the name "Acuña" weren't written as "Acuna."

Unfortunately, I have no money for this project, and my Spanish is terrible. So, I'm looking for volunteers to help me add accents to these files. Just to be clear - this is not a job offer! I am only looking for volunteers!

If you would like to help with this, post here, and I will contact you. A copy of the files can be found here if you would like to look:

http://www.battisti.us/stuff/ootp/hispanic_first_names.txt
http://www.battisti.us/stuff/ootp/hispanic_last_names.txt

Thanks very much!

Steve Battisti

Momoka (X)
Momoka (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:47
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Allow me... Jan 20, 2006

some coments.
What you have in the "last_names" file looks like first names to me. As for the "first_names" list (which seems to be of "last_names"), even though I haven't read it all, there are many I can't recognize. I mention this because you want names that sound really Hispanic.
Maybe I've been away from Latin America too long...(_ _)!

[Edited at 2006-01-20 08:41]

Alicia Casal
Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 23:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
How can we help you? Jan 20, 2006

Spanish names: for Spain, Latam?

I ve seen surnames in your list...

[Edited at 2006-01-20 13:13]
sorry: list 2

It s important to localize the target audience for the names and even surnames.

[Edited at 2006-01-20 13:15]

Please answer:

1. How many names and surnames do you need,
2. For what country.

[Edited at 2006-01-20 13:17]

Steven Batti (X)
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Name swapping Jan 20, 2006

Momoka wrote:
What you have in the "last_names" file looks like first names to me.

Oops! My apologies, the files have now been correctly labeled. The same links above still work though! You can see why I need help.

Steven Batti (X)
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Country Differences Jan 20, 2006

Alicia Casal wrote:
1. How many names and surnames do you need,
2. For what country.

Alicia, thanks very much. I apologize, as you can see from my last reply, I had the file names mixed up. That's probably why you saw surnames in the "first names" file. In terms of quantity, I need as many as possible. The game will generate thousands of baseball players, and if we only have a few names, players will quickly start to see the same names repeat.

Regarding the countries, this is tough. Originally, I had hoped to divide the data according to country. But, I simply do not have enough time to build accurate name data for every individual Spanish-speaking country.

Therefore, although I hate to do this, we have to build just one Hispanic name file, and use it for all Spanish-speaking countries, even if it does result in some names that don't match the country quite correctly.

María Teresa Taylor Oliver
María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 21:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
Are you going to break down the lists? Jan 21, 2006

Hi, Steven!

I'd love to help, but I have a suggestion:

These lists seem very long. It'd help a lot to break them down in groups of, say, 25 or 50 lines or so.

That way, several translators could help you, without no one's work overlapping...

Hmmm... maybe you already thought of that, and in that case, forget I said anything

[Edited at 2006-01-21 23:41]

Steven Batti (X)
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Splitting Up Jan 22, 2006

Well, that's a great idea. We're already doing that, sort of. Two people have volunteered, and have completed the first names file. (Thanks everyone!)

I'd still love to get the accents put onto the last names as well.

We have been breaking down the file by first letter. If anyone else wants to help out, just tell me which letters you would like to take. For example, "A-C".

Currently, no one is yet working on the last names.

Thanks!

... See more
Well, that's a great idea. We're already doing that, sort of. Two people have volunteered, and have completed the first names file. (Thanks everyone!)

I'd still love to get the accents put onto the last names as well.

We have been breaking down the file by first letter. If anyone else wants to help out, just tell me which letters you would like to take. For example, "A-C".

Currently, no one is yet working on the last names.

Thanks!

Steve
Collapse

Steven Batti (X)
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Any more volunteers? Jan 23, 2006

Is there anyone else who can offers some time to help out?

The first name file was completed within a few hours of my first post, but so far no one has offered to help with the last names.

Even if you can only do one letter, for example the "A"s, that would be a huge help!

Steve Battisti

Steven Batti (X)
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Help Still Needed Jan 31, 2006

Still haven't managed to get help on the surnames. Is anyone bored and willing to tackle this?

Thanks!

Steve

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help Needed with Spanish Accents

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »