Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
How to install MultiTerm 2007 on Vista 64 (HOWTO)
Thread poster: Marc Baas
bandarra
bandarra  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:47
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thank you very much May 24, 2010

Works with previous Trados versions as well. ?:)

Jason Hall
Jason Hall
Ecuador
Local time: 16:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
SHAME ON YOU SDL! May 25, 2010

Marc, THANK YOU!

This sort of information sharing is what makes this community a great resource!

BTW I used this fix on Windows 7 professional 64 bit after pulling my hair out trying to get Multiterm installed, even after installing “Virtual XP”, but then SDL wouldn’t honor my license on my “Virtual PC” because it looked like I was installing on a separate computer!

On a less positive note, I can’t help but point out what a spectacular failing t
... See more
Marc, THANK YOU!

This sort of information sharing is what makes this community a great resource!

BTW I used this fix on Windows 7 professional 64 bit after pulling my hair out trying to get Multiterm installed, even after installing “Virtual XP”, but then SDL wouldn’t honor my license on my “Virtual PC” because it looked like I was installing on a separate computer!

On a less positive note, I can’t help but point out what a spectacular failing this is on SDL’s part! It seems unreasonable that they can’t put out a simple patch or fix given what they charge for a license.

SHAME ON YOU SDL!

Is failure to support their products one of the reason why so many translators are choosing WordFast Pro these days? At least WF gives free updates for 3 years….

[Edited at 2010-05-25 18:26 GMT]
Collapse

Carole Nail (Ripoll)
Carole Nail (Ripoll)
France
Local time: 23:47
English to French
+ ...
THANK YOU!!!! Jun 17, 2010

I don't know hot to thank your post. It's really easy to do, and it works very well.

Many, many thanks for your tips!

Ragland Inbaraj
Ragland Inbaraj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 03:17
English to Tamil
+ ...
Thank You - Multiterm installed successfully on Windows 7 64 bit Jul 2, 2010

You must be a Brilliant! Thanks a lot!

Mélanie Sylla (X)
Mélanie Sylla (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:47
English to French
+ ...
Windows 7 64bits Aug 3, 2010

Hello,

I have installed MultiTerm 2009 8 on Windows 7 64bits and it doesn't work properly (it works in Studio but not by itself). I was looking for a solution when I found Marc's HOWTO. I did follow it carefully but my problem is that there is no file SDL MultiTerm 2007 Desktop SP1\ in C:\Users\{your username}\AppData\Local\Temp\ (it does show hidden files and folders).

Does someone have a solution?

Thanks in advance

[Modifié le 2010-08-04 09:40 GM
... See more
Hello,

I have installed MultiTerm 2009 8 on Windows 7 64bits and it doesn't work properly (it works in Studio but not by itself). I was looking for a solution when I found Marc's HOWTO. I did follow it carefully but my problem is that there is no file SDL MultiTerm 2007 Desktop SP1\ in C:\Users\{your username}\AppData\Local\Temp\ (it does show hidden files and folders).

Thanks in advance

[Modifié le 2010-08-04 09:40 GMT]
Collapse

Marc Baas
Marc Baas  Identity Verified
United States
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some more info Aug 3, 2010

Mélanie Brunet wrote:

Hello,

I have installed MultiTerm 2009 8 on Windows 7 64bits and it doesn't work properly (it works in Studio but not by itself). I was looking for a solution when I found Marc's HOWTO. I did follow it carefully but my problem is that there is no fileSDL MultiTerm 2007 Desktop SP1\ in C:\Users\{your username}\AppData\Local\Temp\ (I does show hidden files and folders).

Thanks in advance

Hi Mélanie,

Unfortunately I have no experience with either MultiTerm 2009 nor with Windows 7. However, the differences shouldn't be too big.

Could you elaborate a bit on what goes wrong when you try to launch MultiTerm? Like what kind of errors show op, or whether it just crashes, etc.

Did you notice anything odd when you installed MultiTerm? Did you get any errors, or did the installation software just stop without giving you a confirmation that it finished the installation?

Please provide as much info as you can on what goes wrong, either with the installation or launching MultiTerm, or both.

I will definately try to help you with the information you provide. But since I don't know either the OS, nor the software, there is of course a chance that I have no idea.

Best,

Marc

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
What is the problem? Aug 3, 2010

Mélanie Brunet wrote:

Hello,

I have installed MultiTerm 2009 8 on Windows 7 64bits and it doesn't work properly (it works in Studio but not by itself). I was looking for a solution when I found Marc's HOWTO. I did follow it carefully but my problem is that there is no fileSDL MultiTerm 2007 Desktop SP1\ in C:\Users\{your username}\AppData\Local\Temp\ (I does show hidden files and folders).

Thanks in advance

Hi Mélanie,

This should not be a problem at all. Can you describe the problem you are seeing? What does doesn't work properly mean?

Regards

Paul

Mélanie Sylla (X)
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Impossible to edit termbases Aug 4, 2010

Hi,

Thanks for your answers.

Here are some more details:

Everything seemed normal during the installation (the software was installed in "Program Files (x86)").
When I access MultiTerm within Trados Studio, everything is OK.
But when I open MultiTerm as itself, I can open a termbase but then cannot edit the entries. MultiTerm would crash (Program doesn't answer) and, when I want to shut down my laptop (which is brand new), my laptop would crash
... See more
Hi,

Thanks for your answers.

Everything seemed normal during the installation (the software was installed in "Program Files (x86)").
But when I open MultiTerm as itself, I can open a termbase but then cannot edit the entries. MultiTerm would crash (Program doesn't answer) and, when I want to shut down my laptop (which is brand new), my laptop would crash too. Same if I want to create a new termbase: the creation phase is ok, but then MultiTerm crashes when I want to add an entry.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Thanks!

[Modifié le 2010-08-04 09:39 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Amorim (X)
Maria Amorim (X)  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to Portuguese
+ ...
Great! Aug 4, 2010

Hi Marc,

I was trying to re-install my Trados 2007 and Multiterm 2007 licenses in the recently bought computer and I was having problems with Multiterm 2007 installation. After some unsuccessful trials, I started telling myself I should immediately upgrade to Trados 2009. But as I also (and mostly) use Wordfast I decided to postpone new licenses expenses.

Then I found your post with these fantastic instructions and I decided to go through them. It worked perfectly. Your
... See more
Hi Marc,

I was trying to re-install my Trados 2007 and Multiterm 2007 licenses in the recently bought computer and I was having problems with Multiterm 2007 installation. After some unsuccessful trials, I started telling myself I should immediately upgrade to Trados 2009. But as I also (and mostly) use Wordfast I decided to postpone new licenses expenses.

Then I found your post with these fantastic instructions and I decided to go through them. It worked perfectly. Your recommended procedure also works in Windows 7, 64 bits.

Thanks a lot for generously sharing your knowledge.

Best regards,
Maria
Collapse

Marc Baas
United States
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A bit of time.... Aug 4, 2010

Mélanie Brunet wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your answers.

But when I open MultiTerm as itself, I can open a termbase but then cannot edit the entries. MultiTerm would crash (Program doesn't answer) and, when I want to shut down my laptop (which is brand new), my laptop would crash too. Same if I want to create a new termbase: the creation phase is ok, but then MultiTerm crashes when I want to add an entry.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Thanks!

[Modifié le 2010-08-04 09:39 GMT]

Hi Mélanie,

Ok, I'm going to have to try some things out with the MultiTerm we are using here before I can come up with something that makes sense.

Just give me a bit of time, later today I'll get back to you (might not be until this evening).

Marc

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
A couple of ideas Aug 4, 2010

Mélanie Brunet wrote:

Hi Mélanie,

We have a couple or three things you can try. First of all can you confirm that you have installed the program with the option “Run as administrator…” to make sure, MT 2009 has enough rights.

Secondly, if you have installed an AntiVirus/Security application can you make sure that these programs do not block MultiTerm (maybe you need to add the MultiTerm.exe to the trusted applications).

Finally, you could try to deactivate the Next-Generation Plug-In of Java: see solution in KB 2362.

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2362&p=1

Regards

Paul

Mélanie Sylla (X)
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Still doesn't work Aug 5, 2010

Hi Paul,

I confirm I have installed the program with the option “Run as administrator…” and that my antivirus doesn't block MultiTerm. I tried to disable the Next-Generation Plug-In of Java but couldn't do it because the tick box is not accessible (grey).

An another idea maybe?

Thanks anyway,

Mélanie

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Run Java Control Panel as Administrator Aug 5, 2010

Hi Mélanie,

Run Java Control Panel as Administrator too. The fact that it’s greyed out, suggests that you don't have enough rights to change it. You can do this by going to c:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.6.0_14\bin\ (or wherever your Java is installed), rightclick on javacpl.exe and select run as admin.

If that doesn’t help then I suggest you log a support case for installation problems through the Solution Finder. Use the solution finder like this;

... See more
Hi Mélanie,

Run Java Control Panel as Administrator too. The fact that it’s greyed out, suggests that you don't have enough rights to change it. You can do this by going to c:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.6.0_14\bin\ (or wherever your Java is installed), rightclick on javacpl.exe and select run as admin.

If that doesn’t help then I suggest you log a support case for installation problems through the Solution Finder. Use the solution finder like this;

http://talisma.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder and now go here;

Download & Installation Problems
- I get an error message during installation.
- - I get another error message

This will bring up a form that you can fill in to generate a support request and you will be contacted, normally within a day.

Regards

Paul (... and Luis)
Collapse

Mélanie Sylla (X)
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Brilliant! Aug 5, 2010

Thanks Paul (... and Luis)!

I Run Java Control Panel as Administrator and it works now.

After a few tests, I also suspect that MultiTerm needs to be launched directly from the Program list and not from the Taskbar to run completely.

Thanks again everyone (in particular Marc, for your kindness in helping us all).

Mélanie

Marc Baas
United States
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A pleasure... Aug 6, 2010

Mélanie Brunet wrote:

Thanks Paul (... and Luis)!

I Run Java Control Panel as Administrator and it works now.

After a few tests, I also suspect that MultiTerm needs to be launched directly from the Program list and not from the Taskbar to run completely.

Thanks again everyone (in particular Marc, for your kindness in helping us all).

Mélanie

You are most welcome! And I'm happy that you found a solution to your problem. Hopefully somewhere in the near future we will be able to switch to Windows 7 as well, and then also assist users of that OS.

Best to all,

Marc

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to install MultiTerm 2007 on Vista 64 (HOWTO)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »