International payment by cheques sent by post (eg: Australia & US > UK) ~ pros & cons?
Thread poster: DGK T-I
DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:59
Georgian to English
+ ...
Jul 24, 2003

How long does it take for post to reach the UK from Australia and the US, either by the "normal" post office services or reasonably priced carriers?
What safeguards are prudent to ensure prompt delivery and safety/verification of sending of the cheque (if colleagues would use this method internationally, nowadays?) eg: registered post, guaranteed delivery, etc.

Personally I like bank transfer with paypal or moneybooker type methods for small payments, but some writers in Proz
... See more
How long does it take for post to reach the UK from Australia and the US, either by the "normal" post office services or reasonably priced carriers?
What safeguards are prudent to ensure prompt delivery and safety/verification of sending of the cheque (if colleagues would use this method internationally, nowadays?) eg: registered post, guaranteed delivery, etc.

Personally I like bank transfer with paypal or moneybooker type methods for small payments, but some writers in Proz have advocated cheques for international payment (eg: from the US) because they say that their US bank charges are high, although others in the US seem content with electronic methods (despite this) - information about this also, would be welcome, from any point of view. I know we sometimes live in a world of many complicating factors
Best wishes
Giuli
Collapse

Yelena.
Yelena.  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
Hi Jul 24, 2003

I normally get cheques from the US within 4 days of posting. They are always sent by air mail but never registered or special delivery.

I would rather receive payments electronically but not all American clients are prepaired to do that!

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Georgian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks very much. Any advice from colleagues from an Australian/UK perspective to go with it,welcome Jul 24, 2003

Yelena. wrote:

I normally get cheques from the US within 4 days of posting. They are always sent by air mail but never registered or special delivery.

I would rather receive payments electronically but not all American clients are prepaired to do that!

[Edited at 2003-07-24 18:01]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

International payment by cheques sent by post (eg: Australia & US > UK) ~ pros & cons?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »