India: tax registration requirements as self-employed?
Thread poster: Emmanuelle Moulin
Emmanuelle Moulin
Emmanuelle Moulin  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:27
English to French
+ ...
Dec 26, 2009

Hello,

Does anyone know how to register as a freelance translator in India? I am toying with the idea of settling there to resume my translation career where I left it, and would like to know how to get started there legally, especially as a non-resident (I only have a tourist visa so far). Thanks in advance,

Emmanuelle

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:57
German to English
Try googling to start off with Dec 27, 2009

Hi Emmanuelle,

I'm afraid I don't know the rules for non-Indians, but I suggest you try googling your question, as I know the Indian income tax department has a website and you may find information there. I'm not sure if you actually have to *register* as a freelance translator, but you'll probably have to file an income tax return on income earned in India. You should probably get some advice from a good chartered accountant to do that - again if you google "chartered accountants,
... See more
Hi Emmanuelle,

I'm afraid I don't know the rules for non-Indians, but I suggest you try googling your question, as I know the Indian income tax department has a website and you may find information there. I'm not sure if you actually have to *register* as a freelance translator, but you'll probably have to file an income tax return on income earned in India. You should probably get some advice from a good chartered accountant to do that - again if you google "chartered accountants, India" or something like that, you'll probably find the information you require.

Do contact me through my Proz profile if you have any other questions, not just about taxes, but about India in general. Meanwhile, I'll try and find out more and let you know if I can provide you with more detailed information.

Best wishes,
Niraja

Edited to add: You may have done this already, but you could contact the Indian Embassy or Consulate where you live on information on how to change your visa status as well as your other questions. Sorry I can't help you any further myself.

[Edited at 2009-12-27 08:51 GMT]
Collapse

3ADE shadab
3ADE shadab
Local time: 12:57
Member (2008)
Hindi to English
+ ...
Contact Him Dec 31, 2009

Hi

Please contact Mr. Ravi Kumar Director of Allied Modlingua Services Pvt. Ltd. His contact as follows

Tel: +91-11-26291676 TeleFax: +91-11-41675530
E-mail: [email protected]

hopefully he can help you in this regards.

Regards
Shadab
www.troikaa.co.in

gcpradhan1
gcpradhan1
India
Japanese to English
+ ...
No special registration is required Jan 2, 2010

Hi Emmanuelle,

I am not sure if I will be able to help you out or not, but as per my understanding there is no special requirement of registering with the Indian tax authorities to work as a freelancer in India. Of course you need a work visa if the working hour is going beyond the allowed hours. Otherwise as a student you may work some specified hours in a week. However, for the income you may get, if have to file IT returns for same.

Here is a link having some discus
... See more
Hi Emmanuelle,

I am not sure if I will be able to help you out or not, but as per my understanding there is no special requirement of registering with the Indian tax authorities to work as a freelancer in India. Of course you need a work visa if the working hour is going beyond the allowed hours. Otherwise as a student you may work some specified hours in a week. However, for the income you may get, if have to file IT returns for same.

Here is a link having some discussions about IT rules in India for freelancers.
http://www.odesk.com/community/node/5143

Warm Regards
Gouranga
http://hanatranslationservices.web.officelive.com/default.aspx

[Edited at 2010-01-02 13:04 GMT]
Collapse

Emmanuelle Moulin
Emmanuelle Moulin  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:27
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Visa-wise.. Jan 2, 2010

Thank you very much for all your very helpful answers and contacts. It seems registering with authorities seems easy enough tax-wise, but I'm a bit more worried about visa status. At the risk of going off-topic, do you know any foreigner who has gone through the process of living and working in India? I'm just uncertain about whether to ask for a work visa or a business one as a freelancer who is planning to start a business there, as it seems that you need to be already involved with an existin... See more
Thank you very much for all your very helpful answers and contacts. It seems registering with authorities seems easy enough tax-wise, but I'm a bit more worried about visa status. At the risk of going off-topic, do you know any foreigner who has gone through the process of living and working in India? I'm just uncertain about whether to ask for a work visa or a business one as a freelancer who is planning to start a business there, as it seems that you need to be already involved with an existing company either in your home country or in India, and I don't suppose you can sponsor yourself! Any thoughts? Thanks again,

Emmanuelle
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

India: tax registration requirements as self-employed?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »