Thread poster: Aurora Humarán
Aurora Humarán  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 24, 2003

(from the Internet)

You know that white stuff you paint on paper to cover mistakes? It was originally called "mistake out" and was the invention of Bette Nesmith Graham, a divorcee who went to work in 1951 to support herself and her son.

Though she found work as a typist, she unfortunately wasn't a very good one and developed a white tempura paint to hide her mistakes. Using her kitchen and garage as laboratory and factory, she gradually developed a product that other secretaries and office workers began to buy. While continuing to work as a secretary, she educated herself in business methods, promotion, and research until she was satisfied that the product she had developed was really worthwhile. She then offered Mistake Out to IBM which turned it down.
Undaunted, Bette Graham changed the name from Mistake Out to Liquid Paper and kept selling it from her kitchen-garage for the next 17 years. By 1968 she was making a profit. And in 1979, the Gillette Corporation bought Liquid Paper for $47.5 million plus royalties. She was also the mother of Michael Nesmith, a member of The Monkees.

$47.5 million...wow!

Aurora

Direct link Reply with quote

Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Amazing! Jul 25, 2003

How about going into the kitchen, Au? Maybe you come up with something profitable!!!
Give it a try!

Andrea

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
=) Jul 25, 2003

Andrea Ali wrote:
How about going into the kitchen, Au?

Wrong number...;-) Au

xxxschwensen  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:07
Spanish to Danish
+ ...
"Angel's ink" Jul 25, 2003

-that's what we called it at school, and it helped me through many exams! Now I've only got some old, dry stains on my desk... -good old memories, thanks to the computer that suddenly changed everything (and no, I didn't try to correct anything directly on the screen when I started using it ;o)).

Au, I'm also sure that you can come up with some brilliant idea, but do look for inspiration outside the kitchen! ;o)))

A.

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:07
English to Turkish
Thanks Au Jul 25, 2003

I love Bette's story which once more justifies the saying "necessity is the mother of invention". I used to consume many bottles of that white stuff years ago, in the pre-computerized translation days. It never occurred to me, of course, that it had been invented by another single mother who spent her days behind the keyboard trying to make a living together with her child. Touching and proud story Ah, and Bette must have been a good typist, so that she sought ways to improve her job!

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I had a dream.... Jul 25, 2003

A great place where translators can make and answer questions (=give and receive help).

A site where translators can exchange information about language, translation and translation resources.

And a place to meet cool people and have fun while working!

Oops...somebody had the same dream before me...

Au

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Do you think... Jul 25, 2003

that Henry had that dream in the kitchen or in the garage?

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
InZpiration Jul 25, 2003

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

that Henry had that dream in the kitchen or in the garage?

Saint KudoZ knows....:lol:

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mistakes Out...

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search