Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Got it Oct 19, 2020

It says Mae's tasty liver and onions are all gone, but there's some Arafwch pie left.

That's one the Basques can't do, by the way, the liver. You rarely see liver here, and when you do they just fry the shit out of it until it looks like the inside of a shoe, when - as Mae and all Welsh cooks know - liver has to be done very slowly, plop-plopping in its gravy and onions.

I remember my mum used to have it ready for me for years when I arrived from the airport. I think sh
... See more
It says Mae's tasty liver and onions are all gone, but there's some Arafwch pie left.

That's one the Basques can't do, by the way, the liver. You rarely see liver here, and when you do they just fry the shit out of it until it looks like the inside of a shoe, when - as Mae and all Welsh cooks know - liver has to be done very slowly, plop-plopping in its gravy and onions.

I remember my mum used to have it ready for me for years when I arrived from the airport. I think she felt guilty about never having it when I was a kid, because my brother hated it. Like the Knorr children, these episodes mark one so much. Then one day I arrived, and no liver waiting for me. Mum just wasn't up to cooking any more. No more liver. There followed half a dozen years of me arriving and calling in at Gareth's chip shop first for two cod suppers.

Of course, you can't tell the Basques about the cod, because they invented cod, as everyone knows, and they'd just ask endless questions about where it was caught, how it was processed, and ... watch their faces as they realise it was - horrors! - fried in batter. Still, their loss, right?

[Edited at 2020-10-19 18:02 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:34
Danish to English
+ ...
Monday quote Oct 19, 2020

Fransk er meget nemt; hest hedder cheval, og sådan er det hele vejen igennem.

By the Danish humorist Storm P. (1882–1949).

Loosely translated: ‘French is very easy; “horse” is “cheval” and so it is throug
... See more
Fransk er meget nemt; hest hedder cheval, og sådan er det hele vejen igennem.

By the Danish humorist Storm P. (1882–1949).

Loosely translated: ‘French is very easy; “horse” is “cheval” and so it is throughout.’

https://da.wikiquote.org/wiki/Storm_P.#:~:text=Fransk%20er%20meget%20nemt%20-%20Hest,er%20det%20hele%20vejen%20igennem!
Collapse

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
She's gone now! Herry alias Gerry Oct 19, 2020

herry zuk wrote:

Hello! I'm new here too. my name is Gerry and this forum is a treasure trove of useful information! I hope to meet like-minded people here and learn new information!

What has happened to her? Who of us is responsible for her passing away so soon? Just one or two minor spelling errors, mocked about at in a more or less public forum, and gone they are. Or did she mistake the name of this platform (proz, like "professionals") for an opportunity to offer different, well, kind of professional services? Indeed a bit too frivolous. Or was she one of the now grown up Knorr kids?

Thomas T. Frost
expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Google Translate Oct 19, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Well, you both seem to know, but we're on tenterhooks here. What does "Mae llygred aer yn ladd Arafwch" mean?

It’s all Greek to me, but luckily I’ve discovered this amazing new website called Google Translate. It translates things instantly, for free! No need to wait for a human translator (honestly, six pages a day, are they having a laugh? And have you seen their prices? 10p per word!!! Per word!! Dear me, anyone can hold a pencil and open a dictionary. I mean, come on. Beats me why they don’t use Google Translate too.

Anyway, as anyone who has ever driven in Wales knows, “arafwch” is not the lewd Scouse invitation it might seem, but means “slow down”.

The rest of it, Google Translate tells me, means “You boys are too quick-witted for me”.

Sorry, Tom. We’ll try to bring it back down to your level.

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Thomas T. Frost

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Lost the connection too Oct 19, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

herry zuk wrote:

Hello! I'm new here too. my name is Gerry and this forum is a treasure trove of useful information! I hope to meet like-minded people here and learn new information!

What has happened to her? Who of us is responsible for her passing away so soon? Just one or two minor spelling errors, mocked about at in a more or less public forum, and gone they are. Or did she mistake the name of this platform (proz, like "professionals") for an opportunity to offer different, well, kind of professional services? Indeed a bit too frivolous. Or was she one of the now grown up Knorr kids?

Internyet!

Matthias Brombach
Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Точно! Oct 19, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

Internyet!

Большая беда!

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Well Herry McGerry, you have had ... Oct 20, 2020

herry zuk (X) wrote:

I hope to meet like-minded people here and learn new information!

... your chance, but it´s too late now. "The world is such a volatile place", as can be read in DeepL, and I hope, at least your picture will remain. You really could have met like-minded people here, in the completely frivolous thread, people like, yes, who? You didn´t give us a chance to prove, of what mind you are. No opportunity given for you, to receive a ticket for a flight paid in advance (money to be sent via Bitcoin or Moneygram) from Omsk to Bilbao, London, Wales*, Kiel or Saxony-Anhalt, to meet one of us in person. So sad.

* added at 9:10 CET

[Bearbeitet am 2020-10-20 07:20 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Over Oct 20, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

It could be her computer had reached its nonsense-storage threshold, and this thread and certain other threads simply pushed it over the edge.

I'm trying to visualise a computer being pushed over the edge, using only thread.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Thomas T. Frost

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Push Oct 20, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

It could be her computer had reached its nonsense-storage threshold, and this thread and certain other threads simply pushed it over the edge.

I'm trying to visualise a computer being pushed over the edge, using only thread.

Push technology has many uses and takes many forms.

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I don't know Russian Oct 20, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

Internyet!

Большая беда!

but Google Translator did the job for me.
A curious fact: Portuguese (European) to foreigners sounds like Russian. Honestly, I don't agree.
But, I must say Russians and Ukrainians learn Portuguese very quickly and their accent is very clear only with a slight accent.

P.L.F. Persio

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Dutch ... Oct 20, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

A curious fact: Portuguese (European) to foreigners sounds like Russian. Honestly, I don't agree.

I don´t agree either: When I from a distance listen (by coincidence) to a conversation held in Portuguese, I´m sometimes not sure, whether Dutch is spoken, because of some phonetic patterns which remind me of Dutch. But only from a distance and when not knowing, what language actually is spoken.

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Yolande Hivart
Yolande Hivart
Austria
Member (2016)
German to French
Fun fact Oct 20, 2020

My French accent heard from a German native before I tell them where I am from is called...

Polish.

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Humm Oct 20, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

expressisverbis wrote:

I don´t agree either: When I from a distance listen (by coincidence) to a conversation held in Portuguese, I´m sometimes not sure, whether Dutch is spoken, because of some phonetic patterns which remind me of Dutch. But only from a distance and when not knowing, what language actually is spoken.

I use to watch Rudolph van Veen, the Dutch TV chef, and no way
But from a distance... maybe

P.L.F. Persio

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Yes ... Oct 20, 2020

Yolande Hivart wrote:

My French accent heard from a German native before I tell them where I am from is called...

Polish.

... and I now understand why (would be on level 3, but I only master level 7, which may lead to deleting this post).

Mervyn Henderson (X)

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Brace yourselves... Oct 20, 2020

I think someone is going to be Tominlondoned pretty soon, and twice today:

https://www.proz.com/forum/getting_established/347212-when_during_your_working_years_did_you_actually_start_to_work_as_a_translator-page2.html

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Thomas T. Frost

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »