Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:35
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Oct 7, 2020

Say anything you like. But do try to keep the other threads serious. This is really just a playpen for Mervyn and Chris, who think they're so funny that they can intervene in any discussion and reduce it to the level of infantile banter. So: do your worst, M & C !

[Edited at 2020-10-07 13:29 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
P.L.F. Persio

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:35
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Just is just too confusing Oct 7, 2020

Is this an on-topic post in an on-topic thread of an off-topic subforum? Or an on-topic post in an off-topic thread of an off-topic subforum? Or perhaps an off-topic post in an off-topic thread of an off-topic subforum?

[Edited at 2020-10-07 13:32 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
Philippe Etienne
Angie Garbarino
P.L.F. Persio
Tom in London

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Is this the right place? Oct 7, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Say anything you like. But do try to keep the other threads serious. This is really just a playpen for Mervyn and Chris, who think they're so funny that they can intervene in any discussion and reduce it to the level of infantile banter. So: do your worst, M & C !

[Edited at 2020-10-07 13:29 GMT]

Is this the right platform for this thread?

Sorry to say so, but it looks to me you are on collision course with Mervyn and Chris, and I am not sure I want to be bothered with that. Why don't you mail them personally?

And be honest Tom, are YOU allways serious?

[Edited at 2020-10-07 13:46 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Philippe Etienne
Joe France
Sabine Braun

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
You’re playing with fire, Tom Oct 7, 2020

The trouble with play pens (apart from never coming off the wall whatever Crayola say) is that you inevitably find the dog curled up asleep in there, and locking a couple of toddlers in with the Rottweiler and buggering off down the pub just isn’t the done thing these days. Someone will have the RSPCA onto you in a flash.

But I do have to shay, in all sherioushnesh, this is a bit rich coming from the Master Thread Derailer, a man who can no longer get out of his flat to do his wo
... See more
The trouble with play pens (apart from never coming off the wall whatever Crayola say) is that you inevitably find the dog curled up asleep in there, and locking a couple of toddlers in with the Rottweiler and buggering off down the pub just isn’t the done thing these days. Someone will have the RSPCA onto you in a flash.

But I do have to shay, in all sherioushnesh, this is a bit rich coming from the Master Thread Derailer, a man who can no longer get out of his flat to do his world-renowned Victor Meldrew tribute act for all the Global Grammatical Nitpicker of the Year Awards cluttering up the hallway.

(Said with love.)

Would a virtual Werther’s Original help?
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau
Joe France
Kay Denney
sam@fr-uk

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Great contribution Oct 7, 2020

Great contribution. Keep going. And stay out of the other threads.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
great idea! Oct 7, 2020

I once painted a portrait of my dog, Melville. Here it is:

Melville Beijer (my dog)

Michael

Elena Feriani
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Villő Ujvári
Angela B
expressisverbis
Joanna Posylek
Christopher Schröder

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Tom Fun Oct 7, 2020

I've been quietly blaarghing away all day, and I've only just seen this new "Completely frivolous thread" thread, and so I jumped straight in without further ado, because I get so tired of posting serious drivel, and yearn to post frivolous drivel instead. I did think it was a bit odd Tom proposing frivolity, but I'm all for it. This is just what we needed, Tom!

expressisverbis
Joanna Posylek
P.L.F. Persio

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Awwww Oct 7, 2020

Michael Beijer wrote:

I once painted a portrait of my dog, Melville

You’ve done well to capture that look of surprise as Melville realises what the toddlers in his play pen have done with the Crayola.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Kay Denney

Ayşe Kıvılcım Karazor
Ayşe Kıvılcım Karazor  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:35
Member (2009)
English to Turkish
A bad day Oct 7, 2020

I am having a bad day, so I will just read these posts, I hope it makes me smile somehow:))

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Kay Denney
Tom in London
Emanuele Vacca
Laura Kingdon

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Fighting cockerels Oct 7, 2020

Thank you. I've been waiting for this initiative.
I'd been looking for a place to express my discontent about my neighbour planting about 20 fighting cockerels in his garden just when the lock-down began. In the very estate of 18 houses in the countryside where I used to hear only bird chirping - and the occasional low-flying fighter jet.
I slept all summer with windows closed, shutters shut and ear plugs. The birds have been put inside a shed lately, and I no longer sleep with ear p
... See more
Thank you. I've been waiting for this initiative.
I'd been looking for a place to express my discontent about my neighbour planting about 20 fighting cockerels in his garden just when the lock-down began. In the very estate of 18 houses in the countryside where I used to hear only bird chirping - and the occasional low-flying fighter jet.
I slept all summer with windows closed, shutters shut and ear plugs. The birds have been put inside a shed lately, and I no longer sleep with ear plugs.
He's 20 years younger, 15 cm taller and 40 kilos heavier than me, and I waved him the one-finger salute the other day after all alternative options have been exhausted in the last months.

I own a shotgun. Can I kill him too? Or the birds only?

Thank you again,
Philippe

[Edited at 2020-10-07 18:09 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau
sindy cremer

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Cockerel cacophony Oct 7, 2020

Philippe,

You've definitely come to the right place. Help is at hand. Prepare yourself for a veritable barrage of frivolous suggestions, but I'd like the honour of taking first shot:

Definitely no killing, please. Plus, no point getting sent to the Big House for a few cockerels and a neighbour from hell, is there? No, a more devious, twisted, yet harmless plan is needed. What you should do is find a way of drugging the cockerels in their shed under cover of darkness. G
... See more
Philippe,

You've definitely come to the right place. Help is at hand. Prepare yourself for a veritable barrage of frivolous suggestions, but I'd like the honour of taking first shot:

Definitely no killing, please. Plus, no point getting sent to the Big House for a few cockerels and a neighbour from hell, is there? No, a more devious, twisted, yet harmless plan is needed. What you should do is find a way of drugging the cockerels in their shed under cover of darkness. Google is your friend, so I suggest you simply search for "how to drug fighting cockerels". Then, when they're knocked out later, you put the lot of them into a huge sack, drive for an hour or so at dead of night, and leave them in some field, in nature, where they belong. Go back home, and simply smile and shrug your shoulders if your neighbour questions you subsequently. Don't get mad, get even.
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
expressisverbis
Alexandra Scott
P.L.F. Persio
writeaway
Laura Kingdon

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
The soap opera solution Oct 7, 2020

Philippe Etienne wrote:

I'd been looking for a place to express my discontent about my neighbour planting about 20 fighting cockerels in his garden just when the lock-down begun. In the very estate of 18 houses in the countryside where I used to hear only bird chirping - and the occasional low-flying fighter jet.

If this were a soap opera, I can imagine you'd tell his OH that you'd often seen her man hanging around with one women after another and use other deceit to talk her over to your side, at which point you'd seduce her and finally make her turn the birdies into Sunday roasts one at a time.

You may need your shotgun if you try this in real life.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Philippe Etienne
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Many thanks Oct 7, 2020

I knew I'd find some comfort and ideas in such a thread.
Following your advice, I'll first google "how to drug pit bulls guarding cockerels" and "how to drug your own wife".

Thanks again,
Philippe

Edit: I frivolously broke a sweat and likely a few brain capillaries, but I have finally thought of something relevant: OH certainly means other half.

[Edited at 2020-10-07 17:51 GMT]

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Zibow Retailleau

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Cheer up :) Oct 7, 2020

Ayşe Kıvılcım Karazor wrote:

I am having a bad day, so I will just read these posts, I hope it makes me smile somehow:))

It's just a bad day, the storm will pass.
The quote below works like my personal reminder when I am having myself those bad days.
"Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise" ("Même la nuit la plus sombre prendra fin et le soleil se lèvera")
Victor Hugo, Les Misérables

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Philippe Etienne
Joanna Posylek
Alexandra Scott
Angie Garbarino
Ayşe Kıvılcım Karazor
P.L.F. Persio

Ayşe Kıvılcım Karazor
Ayşe Kıvılcım Karazor  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:35
Member (2009)
English to Turkish
Today seems to be better:) Oct 8, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

Ayşe Kıvılcım Karazor wrote:

It's just a bad day, the storm will pass.
The quote below works like my personal reminder when I am having myself those bad days.
"Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise" ("Même la nuit la plus sombre prendra fin et le soleil se lèvera")
Victor Hugo, Les Misérables

I woke up early in the morning and tried to work but the server was down. I was very worried again then I read your message:) I feel better now^^.

expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »