Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 09:10
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 26, 2003

HOW STUFF WORKS

http://www.howstuffworks.com/

I recently needed to replace a windshield wiper on my car. For most people this would not be such a big deal, but for me, a certified klutz when it comes to anything mechanical, it was a momentous occasion. This time, however, instead of panicking the way I usually do when I have to work with my hands, I went to HowStuffWorks at

http://www.howstuffworks.com

At this site I found a history and explanation of windshield wipers, wiper maintenance and repair tips, and links to sites where I could order replacement wipers (and find out how to install them). HowStuffWorks is an amazing site, because it gives clear, detailed explanations of everything from ballpoint pens to rainbows, cruise missiles to the human ear, the stock market to hypnosis.

You can either browse the topics (AutoStuff, MoneyStuff, ScienceStuff, etc.), or do a keyword search.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you can click on \"Big List of Articles\" to see all the topics they\'ve covered.

There\'s also a forum where you can ask questions and get advice.

[addsig]

Direct link Reply with quote

Terry Gilman  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Excellent site Mar 26, 2003

I use it a lot.

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 04:10
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Amazing! Mar 27, 2003

Thanks Evert.

I read about teleportation. Sometimes (often) I\'d like to be an e-mail, but I\'m afraid I\'m not going to know this in this life.

Quote:

Human Teleportation

[...]

If such a machine were possible, it\'s unlikely that the person being transported would actually be \"transported.\" It would work more like a fax machine -- a duplicate of the person would be made at the receiving end, but with much greater precision than a fax machine. But what would happen to the original? One theory suggests that teleportation would combine genetic cloning with digitization.

In this biodigital cloning, tele-travelers would have to die, in a sense. Their original mind and body would no longer exist. Instead, their atomic structure would be recreated in another location, and digitization would recreate the travelers\' memories, emotions, hopes and dreams. So the travelers would still exist, but they would do so in a new body, of the same atomic structure as the original body, programmed with the same information.

[...]

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:10
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Thank you Evert Mar 27, 2003

A great site indeed. Very interesting stuff. Thank you.

Monika

Andrea Kopf  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Great! Mar 27, 2003

Thanks for sharing this, Evert.

Regards,

Andrea

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How stuff works

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search