Egypt
Local time: 19:09
Member (2005)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Nice way to put it Nov 17, 2009

Nigel Greenwood wrote:
Yes.Tired but happy.

As Mr Nigel had put it Yes I work hard but at the end of the day I'm tired but happy. Better than being unhappy and this will definitely make you sick not just tired.
Great day to all

[Edited at 2009-11-17 12:32 GMT]

Paola Prodan
Paola Prodan  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
NO Nov 17, 2009

But not because I don't want to!

I've had less work than ever this year Things started to get better about 2 months ago, but the level of work isn't still reaching the level of a regular year.

My US clients are recovering, but my European clients are still waiting (and waiting, and waiting...) for the situation to get better.

I'm looking for new clients, but agencies are offering "crisis" rat
... See more
But not because I don't want to!

I've had less work than ever this year Things started to get better about 2 months ago, but the level of work isn't still reaching the level of a regular year.

My US clients are recovering, but my European clients are still waiting (and waiting, and waiting...) for the situation to get better.

I'm looking for new clients, but agencies are offering "crisis" rates in some cases and others are not interested in my services right now. So here I am, waiting for 2009 to end and hoping it takes the "crisis" motto with it.

Happy translating to everyone,
Paola
Collapse

Ken Fagan (X)
Ken Fagan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:09
French to English
yes/no Nov 17, 2009

I say "no", but Elisabetta says "yes"

Catherine Winzer
Catherine Winzer  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
A resounding yes! Nov 17, 2009

I've been run off my feet since the beginning of the month. I've never had so many jobs over a sustained period like this before.

I'm keeping going at the moment because things may get quieter at any time, but if this pace keeps up, I'll probably have to start turning things down.

In the past, I sometimes wondered how to get more work/clients. At the moment all I'm wondering is how to get more sleep!

Abraham Abukar
Abraham Abukar  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:09
Member (2005)
English to Somali
+ ...
On and off Nov 17, 2009

Just like many of you, this past week I had a very busy
week, but this week...hardly working.

Trinh Do
Trinh Do  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Yes and sometimes I enjoy it, and sometimes I'm tired. Nov 17, 2009

Yes,

My family knows budgies (featured on my profile) and translation are my passion. Most of the time they leave me alone, although at times, they made some noise that annoys me. My family is supportive by saying that I've got my dream job, and sometimes they tell me I'm killing myself. I can drive myself sick like last year and rest this year, so I don't mind the financial crisis as it improves my health.

Anyway, it's hard to say no to a very interesting project - so
... See more
Yes,

My family knows budgies (featured on my profile) and translation are my passion. Most of the time they leave me alone, although at times, they made some noise that annoys me. My family is supportive by saying that I've got my dream job, and sometimes they tell me I'm killing myself. I can drive myself sick like last year and rest this year, so I don't mind the financial crisis as it improves my health.

Anyway, it's hard to say no to a very interesting project - something in your field.

My hours are all topsy-turvy - at times I wake up at 7am, 8am or when I stay up late - 10 am. I normally take an afternoon nap for 10-20 minutes as this energise me.
Collapse

Rachael Alexander
Rachael Alexander
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
No Nov 17, 2009

I was going to say yes until I saw Nigel's post! I really like his philsopohy too: I am grateful to be earning a living doing something I like (most of the time) and something which allows me to spend a relatively large amount of my time researching, reading and learning. I've had jobs in the past that I have disliked immensely (as instructive as they were) and this makes me appreciate this profession even more.

Like Tim though the troughs and peaks can be unnerving; no matter how
... See more
I was going to say yes until I saw Nigel's post! I really like his philsopohy too: I am grateful to be earning a living doing something I like (most of the time) and something which allows me to spend a relatively large amount of my time researching, reading and learning. I've had jobs in the past that I have disliked immensely (as instructive as they were) and this makes me appreciate this profession even more.

Like Tim though the troughs and peaks can be unnerving; no matter how much experience and/or wide a client base we have, there is little certainty.
Collapse

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
no Nov 17, 2009

working HARD but not too hard....
too hard means never having any time off. It was pretty slow for a few months, with long stretches of no work at all. It has improved and I am happy to have a lot of work again.

I have a large project that I'll have to do over the weekend for one of my best clients, so this week I'll probably be selective. I am taking care not to get overwhelmed. When I do, I've noticed I have trouble focusing and make mistakes. It's better to be a bit more s
... See more
working HARD but not too hard....
too hard means never having any time off. It was pretty slow for a few months, with long stretches of no work at all. It has improved and I am happy to have a lot of work again.

I have a large project that I'll have to do over the weekend for one of my best clients, so this week I'll probably be selective. I am taking care not to get overwhelmed. When I do, I've noticed I have trouble focusing and make mistakes. It's better to be a bit more selective and pick better jobs.

Also, next weekend is my birthday and I plan to make sure that I have the weekend, at least Sunday, totally free!!!
Collapse

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 09:09
English to Russian
+ ...
I work to live, I don't live to work. Nov 17, 2009

Kemal Mustajbegovic wrote:

Don't live to work, work to live.

Does it explain why I voted "NO"?

Kemal, are you my long-lost twin I did not know I had?

Maria Amorim (X)
Maria Amorim (X)  Identity Verified
Sweden
Swedish to Portuguese
+ ...
Not a gorgeous time Nov 17, 2009

At least in Europe, it is not a gorgeous time. But I think it is a good time to write your own stories and books to be translated.

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
same to me Nov 18, 2009

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

Sometimes I am. Sometimes I wish I were because I need more work. Those are the ups and downs of the business.

I worked hard. When I see my non-paid bills o my desk, I hate my customers and my work too.

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
good idea Nov 18, 2009

Maria Amorim wrote:

At least in Europe, it is not a gorgeous time. But I think it is a good time to write your own stories and books to be translated.

This year, mainly the last 3 months for me personally and for the office is the worst ever. Maybe I see the clouds only, but your idea seems very good...stories about non-payments ;-(

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
some days yes, some days no Nov 18, 2009

It runs in fits and starts. Some days I work more than 14 hours, eat in 10 minute breaks, other days I have nothing. I have gotten better at saying "no", both to too much work and work that is outside my expertise, and at scheduling the work I do accept.

Mostly, I am happy to BE working.

Els Spin
Els Spin  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
Same here! Nov 25, 2009

Mary Worby wrote:

... there normally don't seem to be enough hours in the day to fit everything in.

But today, no. I'm having a day off!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are you working too hard?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »