Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Has your business benefited from obtaining a translation-related certification?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:02
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Jun 3, 2014

Yes, my business has benefited in at least 2 ways:

1. I learned a lot about the trade.
2. It adds visible credibility. Nevertheless, I cannot say specifically where a client chose me just for having my translation-related certifications.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:02
French to English
Certified Jun 3, 2014

Being a certified translator in France means being on the official list of court translators / interpreters. I applied 3 times, had my application approved 3 times, but never did a place on the list become available. There were already too many on the list for the language pair I had. At the time I applied, many on the list were not even officially registered as obtaining income from that activity and were being paid by the courts. I gave up trying to understand.
Last I heard, the courts
... See more
Being a certified translator in France means being on the official list of court translators / interpreters. I applied 3 times, had my application approved 3 times, but never did a place on the list become available. There were already too many on the list for the language pair I had. At the time I applied, many on the list were not even officially registered as obtaining income from that activity and were being paid by the courts. I gave up trying to understand.
Last I heard, the courts paid translators in criminal proceedings once the case had been tried (months, years later). In civil proceedings, the translator invoiced the party concerned and at normal rates. (In criminal case, the rates are imposed by the court and per page, be there 5 or 500 words on it).
Just a waste of time and in any event, I've been sworn in from time to time, on a case by case basis when there have been special requirements and noone else available, and only for private clients.
I could work full-time for the courts and for NGOs and I'd lose money hand over fist! Forget it.
Collapse

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not sure Jun 3, 2014

I'm proz certified and a member of my state's interpreter association (they turned out to be hippies). I haven't received any work through my state's organization, but I'm sure the proz badge has helped out a bit

Melissa McMahon
Melissa McMahon  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 11:02
French to English
Different systems in different countries Jun 3, 2014

In Australia certification from the government authority (NAATI) is pretty much a pre-requisite for any official translation and for better or worse is the general "badge" of qualification. You obtain it by sitting an exam. For me, there's no "is it beneficial or not?", it's the sine qua non of doing business with Australian clients.

It's been interesting to read about the different systems of certification in different countries. The worth of certification is entirely relative to t
... See more
In Australia certification from the government authority (NAATI) is pretty much a pre-requisite for any official translation and for better or worse is the general "badge" of qualification. You obtain it by sitting an exam. For me, there's no "is it beneficial or not?", it's the sine qua non of doing business with Australian clients.

It's been interesting to read about the different systems of certification in different countries. The worth of certification is entirely relative to the status quo under which you are operating.

Melissa
Collapse

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:02
German to English
+ ...
Like Melissa says Jun 4, 2014

In Canada, certification is required for certain types of translation, and certification is also basically equivalent to notarization. Anything that will be looked at by a government body needs to either bear the stamp of a certified translator or be notarized. I would lose a great deal of my business if I were not certified.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:02
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Jun 4, 2014

Clients have asked to see my certification documents. I think it gives me an edge with people who are not already familiar with my work.

lyrebird06
lyrebird06  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 09:02
English to Chinese
+ ...
certification is helpful, but can not represent all Jun 4, 2014

Obtaining certification is helpful to promote one's business. But certification shows a comprehensive language capability. A client often requires certain specific language skills, for example English -> Chinese not Chinese ->english. Based on the above situation, most people can not obtain translation-related certification especially in China which extremely lack multiple languages circumstances.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Has your business benefited from obtaining a translation-related certification?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »