Request for 4,329 word \"sample\".
Thread poster: Theodore Fink
Theodore Fink
Theodore Fink
Local time: 06:28
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Mar 22, 2002

Acabo de receber uma solicitação para traduzir uma \"amostra\" de 4,329 palavras (sic!!) de um cliente propondo uma tradução de 125 mil palavras de Português > Inglês.

Eu gostaria de saber se algum outro colega recebeu uma proposta semelhante e, se for o caso, se a \"amostra\" bate com aquela que eu recebi ou se trata-se de um outro trecho do livro.

Portanto, se você recebeu algo análogo, apreci
... See more
Acabo de receber uma solicitação para traduzir uma \"amostra\" de 4,329 palavras (sic!!) de um cliente propondo uma tradução de 125 mil palavras de Português > Inglês.

Eu gostaria de saber se algum outro colega recebeu uma proposta semelhante e, se for o caso, se a \"amostra\" bate com aquela que eu recebi ou se trata-se de um outro trecho do livro.

Portanto, se você recebeu algo análogo, apreciaria um email para [email protected] para podermos comparar.

Grato pela atenção de todos e abraços a todos os ilustres colegas!

Collapse

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
German to English
+ ...
This is clear abuse Mar 22, 2002

Don\'t accept it! They just want to get a \"free ride\" - and that\'s why they dangle the prospect of a much, much larger project.

Sample or test translations should never exceed approx. 200 words (usually 150-200 words).

Be careful!

Egmont
Egmont
Spain
Local time: 12:28
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
PICARESCA Mar 22, 2002

¡Atençáo!¡Achtung, baby!
[addsig]

Silvia Borges
Silvia Borges
United States
Amostra !!!! Mar 22, 2002

Ola Ted! Bom dia!

O que não fazem para conseguirem algo \"for free\", não?

Realmente abuso total! Não recebí o pedido ainda, porém caso o receba entrarei em contato através do seu email.

Bom alerta!

Responder algumas dúvidas, clarear algumas situações, acho muito bom e construtivo, tanto para quem pergunta, como para quem responde.

Tenho me divertido muito com algumas colocações suas também...

[ ] e nos vemos lah...

Silvia

Silvina Beatriz Codina
Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:28
English to Spanish
É fria, Theodore! Mar 22, 2002

Nem pense em aceitar! Mesmo se a amostra for \"legit\", coisa que duvido muito, imagine você fazer +4000 palavras e o cliente dizer que nâo gosta! +4000 palavras sâo pelo menos dois dias de trabalho.

Mais eu penso mesmo que é aquilo que você claramente suspeita, que é uma porçâo de um trabalho maior dividido entre vários tradutores.

Eu aceito fazer amostras, mas nunca maiores de 300 palavras; só aceitaria de fazer uma amostra maior se o client
... See more
Nem pense em aceitar! Mesmo se a amostra for \"legit\", coisa que duvido muito, imagine você fazer +4000 palavras e o cliente dizer que nâo gosta! +4000 palavras sâo pelo menos dois dias de trabalho.

Mais eu penso mesmo que é aquilo que você claramente suspeita, que é uma porçâo de um trabalho maior dividido entre vários tradutores.

Eu aceito fazer amostras, mas nunca maiores de 300 palavras; só aceitaria de fazer uma amostra maior se o cliente pagar pela amostra. Senâo, esqueça!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-22 16:47 ]
Collapse

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Abuse is abuse... Mar 22, 2002

Hello,

Do not accept it. It is clear abuse unless they ar willing to pay you for your work.

Ciao,

JL

Silvia Carvalho
Silvia Carvalho  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Advice from a fellow translator and localization manager Mar 22, 2002

Dear Translator,

As a localization manager for many years I would recommend that you don\'t provide them with the sample. Project managers can test your knowledge and competency for any given project through other more valid, proven methods (asking you to provide references, samples of similar translations you might have already performed, or maybe, requesting you to take a SHORT test, etc).

BE extremely careful- There are a lot of translation companies
... See more
Dear Translator,

As a localization manager for many years I would recommend that you don\'t provide them with the sample. Project managers can test your knowledge and competency for any given project through other more valid, proven methods (asking you to provide references, samples of similar translations you might have already performed, or maybe, requesting you to take a SHORT test, etc).

BE extremely careful- There are a lot of translation companies with financial problems out there. It could also be a case where the agency is not experienced enough in dealing with this sort of project (maybe the first large project they get?).

You may want to tell them how you feel and ask them if there is any other way you can show them your proficiency and experience.

WATCH OUT! - Good luck-

Silvia Moreira-Carvalho

EN>ES Translator - 20+ years

Localization/Galton Technologies

Lindon, Utah - USA
Collapse

Theodore Fink
Theodore Fink
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks guys for your views ... Mar 22, 2002

Hi:

I\'ve been translating professionally for over 20 years myself and I\'m a lawyer besides. (Just click on my name and you can see my info)

I put this up to warn other colleagues who might be taken in and to be able to compare notes with other translators who might have been sent other whopping \"samples\" to do.

Of course, I wrote the \"client\" asking for all pertinent information and suggested a contract.

(A
... See more
Hi:

I\'ve been translating professionally for over 20 years myself and I\'m a lawyer besides. (Just click on my name and you can see my info)

I put this up to warn other colleagues who might be taken in and to be able to compare notes with other translators who might have been sent other whopping \"samples\" to do.

Of course, I wrote the \"client\" asking for all pertinent information and suggested a contract.

(And I haven\'t started work on the ten-page \"sample\" either)
Collapse

Gabriela Frazao
Gabriela Frazao  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:28
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Obrigada Theodore! Mar 22, 2002

Ficaremos todos alerta...

Pilar T. Bayle (X)
Pilar T. Bayle (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
About samples... Mar 23, 2002

Last September, I was contacted by a publishing house that seemed interested in my CV, since I have translated a few software manuals (and they are published, with my name in the credits). They offered me a book on Flash, but I had to \"show\" my skills, and they sent me a sample... Well over 6,000 words. I wrote an e-mail back saying that I thought it was clear abuse, that no one can afford that kind of samples (minimum two days, that might be invested in a paid job). I offered to do a paragrap... See more
Last September, I was contacted by a publishing house that seemed interested in my CV, since I have translated a few software manuals (and they are published, with my name in the credits). They offered me a book on Flash, but I had to \"show\" my skills, and they sent me a sample... Well over 6,000 words. I wrote an e-mail back saying that I thought it was clear abuse, that no one can afford that kind of samples (minimum two days, that might be invested in a paid job). I offered to do a paragraph (about 300 words) and they asked for 5 or 6 pages. I simply said no and told them to check the books I have already translated (they can be found in any bookstore).

What they sent me was Chapter 20. I imagine they had another 19 translators going for samples...

Since then I refuse to do samples that exceed 250 or 300 words. I mean, let\'s be serious. With a well chosen paragraph, they can see your command of the language and vocabulary.

Cheers,

P.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Request for 4,329 word \"sample\".

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »