Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Powwow: Plymouth, Devon - United Kingdom

This discussion belongs to Powwows » "Powwow: Plymouth, Devon - United Kingdom".
You can see the powwows page and participate in this discussion from there.

Patricia Dillon
Patricia Dillon
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:56
French to English
+ ...
Hi Dierk, May 17, 2006

Absolutely! You'd be more than welcome - the idea is to get local translators and interpreters chatting; Plymouth isn't an exclusive zone by all means

Patricia Dillon
Patricia Dillon
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Welcome ;-) Jun 14, 2006

Hi Eleanor, Good to hear from you and I look forward to hopefully meeting you on the 20th. It would be particularly great to speak with someone with common languages with me. Take care 'n' happy gardening!

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Can we name a time and place? Jul 5, 2006

Only about a fortnight to go and the details are not settled yet.
Someone I know recommends the Haha bar somewhere in the centre of Plymouth, but I have no personal knowledge of it. Could someone living in the area check it out or recommend somewhere else?
Probably 1230-1300 would be a reasonable time to meet at wherever it is going to be.

Dierk Widmann
Dierk Widmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:56
English to German
Yes, please. Time & Place would be good. Jul 5, 2006

After having missed 2 powwows due to other engagements, I will do my best to come, but I have only been to Plymouth about three or four times, so I cannot really suggest anything.

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Ha Ha Bar Jul 5, 2006

http://www.hahaonline.co.uk/bar.asp?id=19
It would be preferable if someone would either check this out or recommend somewhere they know from personal experience, but if there are no other suggestions by the beginning of next week, I'll take a chance on it and book there.

Patricia Dillon
Patricia Dillon
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Starting to firm up details Jul 5, 2006

Hi everyone,

Thanks, Jack (and welcome to the discussion!) for your suggestions about venues. Bar Haha's a great place - I've been there a couple of times, so that's definitely in the picture for a possible meeting place. As the co-ordinator, I'm happy to contact the place we agree to hold our powwow in; there's still a couple of weeks before the event - all's well. I would, first of all, love to hear back from you all in terms of the time of the day which is more convenient for you
... See more
Hi everyone,

Thanks, Jack (and welcome to the discussion!) for your suggestions about venues. Bar Haha's a great place - I've been there a couple of times, so that's definitely in the picture for a possible meeting place. As the co-ordinator, I'm happy to contact the place we agree to hold our powwow in; there's still a couple of weeks before the event - all's well. I would, first of all, love to hear back from you all in terms of the time of the day which is more convenient for you. Lunchtime or evening? Would you be happy to share some food or would drinks be more your "cup of tea"? Thanks for letting me know. I'm getting married this Saturday (horay!) so won't promise a prompt reply but I shall get back online early next week so will reply to you then. Thanks!
Collapse

Dierk Widmann
Germany
English to German
Daytime preferred Jul 6, 2006

I wanted to go back to Bristol or at least Exeter, so a return trip before the late evening would be preferred. Oh, congratulations, Patricia. I have just managed to tie the knot, myself (yoohoo).

Jack Doughty
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Not a take-over bid Jul 6, 2006

Hi, Patricia. Congratulations on your forthcoming marriage. I'm not trying to take this over, I just felt that with the time approaching, things ought to be moving, but I understand now how busy you must be at present.
I certainly think it would be preferable for us to meet at some place someone knows to be suitable. I have no particular axe to grind for the Ha Ha, if someone knows somewhere better, that's fine by me.
Lunchtime would suit me best.

Patricia Dillon
Patricia Dillon
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Confirmation of powwow meeting next Thursday 20 July at 12.30 Jul 14, 2006

Dear all,

Thanks for your interest and suggestions re. the first powwow in Plymouth.

It will take place in Plymouth's Arts Centre from 12.30pm onwards on Thu 20 July, for a spot of lunch and a good chat.

From your input, we'll be going with discussions on what it's like to be a freelance translator/interpretor, any tips and guidances we can share, and anything else you wish to bring to the table.

The Arts Centre has a vegetarian restaurant f
... See more
Dear all,

Thanks for your interest and suggestions re. the first powwow in Plymouth.

It will take place in Plymouth's Arts Centre from 12.30pm onwards on Thu 20 July, for a spot of lunch and a good chat.

From your input, we'll be going with discussions on what it's like to be a freelance translator/interpretor, any tips and guidances we can share, and anything else you wish to bring to the table.

The Arts Centre has a vegetarian restaurant famous for its wholesome, delicious meals and it is reasonably priced. The setting is relaxed and children are welcome.

Parking is available but it's best to arrive a little early in case you're required to drive around for a while before finding a spot.

More information about the venue is available on http://www.plymouthac.org.uk/info.htm.

Do let me know if there's anything else you wish to know before the day and I look forward to meeting as many of you as can make it!

All the best,

Patricia
Collapse

Nicky Over
Nicky Over  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
French to English
Thanks very much Jul 14, 2006

Thanks for your organisation. I still hope to make it, but final decision will have to wait until I see how work goes next week. Is everyone else snowed under at the moment??!

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
I'm sorry I can't make it.. Jul 14, 2006

... cause Thursday noon will still be a kids' schoolday and there's no way I can travel to Plymouth on that day. Hope you have a lovely time, and maybe next time we can arrange something in Exeter

LinguaLab.net
LinguaLab.net
United Kingdom
English to Norwegian
+ ...
I'm afraid I can't make it either... Jul 15, 2006

My workload won't allow me to take a day off at the moment. Hope you all have a great time and hopefully I'll get a chance to meet you all some other time! PS: Nesrin's idea about Exeter sounds good!D

Dierk Widmann
Germany
English to German
Jollies Jul 19, 2006

Have just booked the train journey. I have a digital camera somewhere, so I should be able to take pics.
Until tomorrow.

Nicky Over
Nicky Over  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
French to English
Yes, I'll be there! Jul 19, 2006

Hi Patricia. Work's gone well so far this week, so I'll be able to make it to Plymouth tomorrow. Thanks again for organising the get-together - see you there. I have a digital camera, and will bring it with me.

Ute Wietfeld
Ute Wietfeld  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
Have a great time! Jul 19, 2006

Due to project rescheduling I'm afraid I have to travel to London tomorrow and won't be able to make it either -- enjoy the powwow and I hope there'll be another opportunity - Exeter sounds good to me, too!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powwow: Plymouth, Devon - United Kingdom

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »