TagEditor 8.0.0.826 - How to proofread only my work?
Thread poster: Nicole Maina
Nicole Maina
Nicole Maina  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:03
German to Italian
+ ...
Jan 16, 2008

I have translated a dozen of files of a very big manual, where at least 80% was pretranslated (100% matches) and about 15% between 95% and 99% matches. So I only had to translate one sentence here and one sentence there, plus some numbers or minor stuff scattered around the text.

Now I'd like to proofread my work, but I don't know how. Of course I do not want - and I can not - read also the 100% matches which are not mine, this would take much longer than the translation altogether.
... See more
I have translated a dozen of files of a very big manual, where at least 80% was pretranslated (100% matches) and about 15% between 95% and 99% matches. So I only had to translate one sentence here and one sentence there, plus some numbers or minor stuff scattered around the text.

Now I'd like to proofread my work, but I don't know how. Of course I do not want - and I can not - read also the 100% matches which are not mine, this would take much longer than the translation altogether. How do I manage to open only the segments I have changed or modified, to proofread them?

I have tried to use Mainenance filtering by"changed by" and "created by", and it works, but after I would have to "retranslate" every single file to apply the modified TM to the files.

Is there any other quick solution?

thank you!!

Nicole
Collapse

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Tableview Jan 16, 2008

Nicole Maina wrote:

Now I'd like to proofread my work, but I don't know how. Of course I do not want - and I can not - read also the 100% matches which are not mine, this would take much longer than the translation altogether. How do I manage to open only the segments I have changed or modified, to proofread them?

I have tried to use Mainenance filtering by"changed by" and "created by", and it works, but after I would have to "retranslate" every single file to apply the modified TM to the files.

Is there any other quick solution?

Yes there is!!!

Hi Nicole,

The function you're looking for is called TableView. It's a hidden gem in TagEditor, little known, but quick, smooth and very powerful. Once you've opened the Tableview in Internet Explorer, you can hide/show fuzzies according to the match, just what you asked for!

Read how to do it, here:
http://www.proz.com/post/520842#520842
http://www.proz.com/post/708785#708785
http://www.proz.com/post/690965#690965

If you pair it up with Acrobat it becomes even more versatile, since you can create a PDF of the Tableview and send it to proofreaders for comments with the text editing or "sticky" functions.

Good luck!

/Jan

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 06:03
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I start exporting the unknowns Jan 16, 2008

I analyse the files using the original TM and export the unknown units (less than 100% match) into a rtf-file. That I translate and proofread. After updating the TM I run the TM on the original files (translate to fuzzy) and save them. Done!.
You still can do it using the initial tm and the original file. As you have already translated the new segments it will not take you long to translate the export file.

I don't know if one can mark the new segments like one can in SDLX. Bu
... See more
I analyse the files using the original TM and export the unknown units (less than 100% match) into a rtf-file. That I translate and proofread. After updating the TM I run the TM on the original files (translate to fuzzy) and save them. Done!.
You still can do it using the initial tm and the original file. As you have already translated the new segments it will not take you long to translate the export file.

I don't know if one can mark the new segments like one can in SDLX. But that does not help if the source file is some dtp-format.

Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 06:03
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
But... Jan 17, 2008

J-a-n S-ndstr-m wrote:

Yes there is!!!

Hi Nicole,

The function you're looking for is called TableView. It's a hidden gem in TagEditor, little known, but quick, smooth and very powerful. Once you've opened the Tableview in Internet Explorer, you can hide/show fuzzies according to the match, just what you asked for!

Read how to do it, here:
http://www.proz.com/post/520842#520842
http://www.proz.com/post/708785#708785
http://www.proz.com/post/690965#690965

If you pair it up with Acrobat it becomes even more versatile, since you can create a PDF of the Tableview and send it to proofreaders for comments with the text editing or "sticky" functions.

Good luck!

/Jan

Thanks for pointing this out, Jan! I'm afraid though this will show only one file at the time, so if you have to translate lots of files in different folders you'll get as many pdfs. Or am I wrong?
Using the export function I create a single file for the whole project, including only the new segments. Easy to update.
Proofreading in pdf is a nightmare. I always decline such jobs.

Cheers
Heinrich

Nicole Maina
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Jan!! Jan 17, 2008

I have tried it, and it actually *is* a real gem!

Unluckily it does not work with this specific job! Don't ask me why. I have opened the original files, so there are some fuzzy matches, but when I open the filter on top of the page, it only shows full matches. if I deselect full matches, all segments disappear. But I am sure there are partial matches!

anyway, I have tried it on another project and it works fine. thank you so much!! I will start using it from next time.<
... See more
I have tried it, and it actually *is* a real gem!

Unluckily it does not work with this specific job! Don't ask me why. I have opened the original files, so there are some fuzzy matches, but when I open the filter on top of the page, it only shows full matches. if I deselect full matches, all segments disappear. But I am sure there are partial matches!

anyway, I have tried it on another project and it works fine. thank you so much!! I will start using it from next time.

have a nice day!
nicole
Collapse

Nicole Maina
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you heinrich! Jan 17, 2008

your suggestion is extremely useful (I had always wondered what that button "export unknown segments" was for!!) and also allows you to "glue" all files (an option which is also available in Synergy, but I haven't used it yet).

absolutely perfect for this particular project, which keeps driving me crazy. tageditor crashes all the time for the most stupid reasons... try to zoom in, and it crashes! change the window size, and it crashes! shrink a segment, and it crashes!!...
See more
your suggestion is extremely useful (I had always wondered what that button "export unknown segments" was for!!) and also allows you to "glue" all files (an option which is also available in Synergy, but I haven't used it yet).

absolutely perfect for this particular project, which keeps driving me crazy. tageditor crashes all the time for the most stupid reasons... try to zoom in, and it crashes! change the window size, and it crashes! shrink a segment, and it crashes!!(

thank you so much!
nicole
Collapse

Jan Sundström
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Use Trados Glue Jan 17, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Thanks for pointing this out, Jan! I'm afraid though this will show only one file at the time, so if you have to translate lots of files in different folders you'll get as many pdfs. Or am I wrong?

You got a point, but if there are many files, I always remind myself to use Trados Glue first.
Together, you get the best of both worlds.

/Jan

Jan Sundström
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Works on complete billingual files only Jan 17, 2008

Nicole Maina wrote:

Hi again Nicole,

There might be some limitations in how Tableview handles original (undranslated) source files.
If you want to view a file before you've translated it, you might get better results if you prepopulate it, perhaps by running a "translate to fuzzy", and save as billingual.

Does that help?

/Jan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor 8.0.0.826 - How to proofread only my work?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »