Thread poster: Rad Graban

Rad Graban  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:57
English to Slovak
+ ...
Apr 22, 2011

Hi all,

I've started topic about exchanging/sharing personal legal glossaries today. I've posted one in "Translator's Resources" and one in "Legal".

The one in "Legal" was removed immediately advising me to use 'Exchange' feature and referring me to http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/11#11 (Use designated areas of the site. Forums should not be used for issues that have dedicated areas in the site).

Now, how many people visit 'Exchange' for something more than holidays etc.? Isn't 'Legal' forum the most appropriate place to ask people to share/exchange legal glossaries? Isn't this little 'Exchange' box totally useless on already cramped site? How many 'Holiday/flat exchange/looking for' posts we've had in forums under "Off-Topic"?

My post was deleted only from "Legal" forum. It is, at least for now, still showing in 'Translator's resources" forum. Is it gonna stay there? For me, glossaries (regardless of what about them) are 'Translator's Resources'. It seems to me that some of the features here are 'overlapping' and rules are contradicting because of that?

R.

[Edited at 2011-04-22 18:48 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-04-22 19:00 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-04-22 19:01 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:57
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Clarifying those features Apr 22, 2011

Hi Rad,

Yes, it is the case that the Exchange area of the site is to be used for exchanging anything, whether it is glossaries or anything else. Even if they are legal glossaries, requests to swap them with one another belong in the exchange area of the site.

Similarly, your request does not belong in the Translator's resources forum, if we are talking about exchanging glossaries, since this forum is intended for referencing online glossaries or paper dictionaries that may be consulted (rather than exchanged).

I hope this clarifies the matter for you.

Best regards,

Astrid

Rad Graban  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:57
English to Slovak
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Define individual forums Apr 22, 2011

Can you please point me to somewhere (there must be some rule somewhere on this website) where I could find what can and cannot be posted in each forum?

Similarly, your request does not belong in the Translator's resources forum, if we are talking about exchanging glossaries, since this forum is intended for referencing online glossaries or paper dictionaries that may be consulted (rather than exchanged).

What about personal glossaries people have on this website? They are online, aren't they? They are still perfectly personal, aren't they?

As far as I'm concerned, ProZ staff is not a linguistic authority. I'm wondering what makes you think that you can decide what members of this site can or cannot consider to be a 'Translator's Resource'. Just because something is online or published doesn't mean it's perfect. Personal glossaries are usually of much better quality than any published or online stuff.

R.

[Edited at 2011-04-22 19:20 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-04-22 19:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-04-22 19:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-04-22 19:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-04-22 19:45 GMT]

Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:57
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
rules and FAQ Apr 22, 2011

Rad Graban wrote:

Can you please point me to somewhere (there must be some rule somewhere on this website) where I could find what can and cannot be posted in each forum?

Hello Rad,
the following FAQ lists the dedicatd site areas to be used http://www.proz.com/faq/3091#3091

The complete set of rules for the use of forums can be found at http://www.proz.com/?sp=siterules&mode=show&category=forum

I hope this helps to clarify,

Have a nice weekend,

Daniela

Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:57
Chinese to English
+ ...
I never read Exchange Apr 23, 2011

I browsed around there for a short while when I first signed up, and found nothing of interest.

I have never read Exchange ever since. Maybe I should keep a habit of reading it at least from time to time.

Or—just a suggestion though I feel this is pretty reasonable—, if Exchange is really that important (i.e., so important that things that “should” be there but is posted somewhere else will get deleted), the home page should be changed to also list the “most recent exchanges” so that people will actually see what’s posted there.

As it stands, if it’s in the forums I’ll read it; if it’s in Translator Resources, maybe from time to time; if it has to be in Exchange, posting it would be as good as dumping it into a black hole.

Just a comment from a new-ish user…

[Edited at 2011-04-23 02:12 GMT]

Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:57
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
Excellent suggestion Apr 23, 2011

Ambrose Li wrote:

Or—just a suggestion though I feel this is pretty reasonable—, if Exchange is really that important (i.e., so important that things that “should” be there but is posted somewhere else will get deleted), the home page should be changed to also list the “most recent exchanges” so that people will actually see what’s posted there.

But then, I think you will have to post it in the relevant forum... since I think there is one for suggestions... If you do, you've got my vote!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Forums vs. 'Exchange' feature

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search