Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 02:59
English to German
+ ...
Jun 10, 2004

Hi! all,

I have been considering to purchase some OCR software. Here both Finereader and Readiris seem to be very competitive products. But which one is better. If any of you have experience with both, I shall appreciate all adv.
Thank you in advance.
brandis

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 03:59
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
IMHO, definitely Finereader Jun 10, 2004

as Readiris creates multiple text boxes all across the page, linked between themselves in a zigzag way, which makes further processing very difficult, especially if it is two column text- by making some changes on page one, all the text down to the very end of the document is randomly shifted.

Uldis

Brandis wrote:

Hi! all,

I have been considering to purchase some OCR software. Here both Finereader and Readiris seem to be very competitive products. But which one is better. If any of you have experience with both, I shall appreciate all adv.
Thank you in advance.
brandis

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
FineReader!!! Jun 10, 2004

Its recognition capacity is much-much better!

Kind Regards,

Spiros Doikas
The Greek Translation Vortal
Dictionaries, Encyclopedias, Translation Resources
[ http://www.translatum.gr ]

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:59
Danish to English
+ ...
FineReader - Jun 10, 2004

I have in my search for an affordable OCR tried different options such as FineReader but found it extremely expensive compared to Scansofts PaperPort Pro, the latest version is #9. PaperPro costs less than FineReader and will support languages. Have you tried a the demo version? It is a free download.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
None of them are expensive Jun 11, 2004

Finereader saved me (in terms of working hours) already on the first day of use more than the 128 euro I paid for it (free trial version works 15 days).

bergazy
bergazy  Identity Verified
Croatia
Croatian to Italian
+ ...
Fine Reader for precision, Readiris for speed Jun 11, 2004

Only if you work with lot of badly printed or unreadable fax files,buy Fine Reader.
If your files are mostly good doc. or pdf files, buy really fast Readiris.

Regards

Marko

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
decided for Finereader Jun 11, 2004

Marko Kovacic wrote:

Only if you work with lot of badly printed or unreadable fax files,buy Fine Reader.

Regards

Marko
Hello all! Thank you for the good adv. I have decided for Fine Reader, purchased a prof. edition.
Thank you
Brandis

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fine Reader taking up too much memory Jun 12, 2004

Marko Kovacic wrote:

Regards

Marko
Hi! I thank you for the good advice. I have tried both as Demos, now after purchasing the Fine Reader I have a feeling that it is taking up too much of memory, and Readiris not. Correct me if I am wrong.
Greets
brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fine Reader or Readiris

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »