Best OCR and translator program
Thread poster: Traducción Global Vida Sapir

Traducción Global Vida Sapir
Mexico
Local time: 23:08
Jan 25

Hello, I'm looking for a program that contains an OCR that converts the PDF into Word (maintaining the same format) and also translates the document for you. I know that Abby Fine Reader converts PDF's to Word, but doesn't translate the document. I would like the translated document to keep its original format. Many thanks.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:08
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Aren't you the translator? Jan 25

Traducción Global Vida Sapir wrote:
I would like the translated document to keep its original format. Many thanks.

Most of the CAT tools will handle PDF files, I believe. It's only the very basic ones like Wordfast Classic that don't. I know Wordfast Pro and SDL Trados do. And so does the free Wordfast Anywhere. Mind you, I don't know how good a job they do with the formatting. I have Abbyy PDF Converter: sometimes it works well and other times it's rubbish.

But I'm concerned at this idea of a computer program translating the file for you. A lot of them will populate the target file with output from Google Translate or similar, but you can't call that a translation. It's your job to provide that.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Moon on a stick Jan 25

I use Nitro Pro for OCR and PDF conversion. However, after that I'm on my own and I have to cobble my translations together myself...

Roy Williams  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 06:08
German to English
Try Small Pdf Jan 26

I've had good results here https://smallpdf.com/. It converts Pdf to Word and other formats as well. With the free version, you can
convert two files per hour. It does a really good job of maintaining the formatting of the original document. The downside though, it cannot convert scanned PDFs

[Edited at 2018-01-26 10:44 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best OCR and translator program

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search