Using Adobe FrameMaker 7.0 for DTP work
Thread poster: Hildegard Klein-Bodenheimer (X)
Hildegard Klein-Bodenheimer (X)
Hildegard Klein-Bodenheimer (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:18
English to German
+ ...
Mar 30, 2007

I wonder if anybody could help me with this.
I recently bought Adobe FrameMaker 7.0 version, because one of my clients expects me to use this program for PDF files. I usually translate their jobs with Trados and send back the translation. They want me to take over the DTP too. They will reformat it from TagEditor and send it back with the original PDF file for the DTP. I watched a collegue once doing this, it doesn't look too complicated and she said she would help me with the first one. B
... See more
I wonder if anybody could help me with this.
I recently bought Adobe FrameMaker 7.0 version, because one of my clients expects me to use this program for PDF files. I usually translate their jobs with Trados and send back the translation. They want me to take over the DTP too. They will reformat it from TagEditor and send it back with the original PDF file for the DTP. I watched a collegue once doing this, it doesn't look too complicated and she said she would help me with the first one. But before that I want to read up on the important parts of the user guide.
My question is, what part of the user guide is most helpful for my purposes? I can't imagine that I need all of it and I don't have the time to read through the whole book. But I also can't figure out which topics are actually ment for me.
Can anybody tell me what is the fastest way to learn framemaker, just for formating a translation to the original text format?
Thanks to everyone.
Collapse

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
My opinion Mar 30, 2007

For a quick start, obviously pay attention to the Paragraph Designer menu (from Format menu). In this Designer tab you can manage most of the issues related to text, which I suppose is your main concern.

You can also create, rename and save your own paragraphs, which is handy because you can use them anytime later to recall certain styles.

When you have to change text which lies in all pages (i.e.: chapter names, etc.) select View > Master Pages and make there your vari
... See more
For a quick start, obviously pay attention to the Paragraph Designer menu (from Format menu). In this Designer tab you can manage most of the issues related to text, which I suppose is your main concern.

You can also create, rename and save your own paragraphs, which is handy because you can use them anytime later to recall certain styles.

When you have to change text which lies in all pages (i.e.: chapter names, etc.) select View > Master Pages and make there your variations. This will be reflected in all other pages of the file.

Also, most of the manuals I translate comes in more FM files.
To get a single pdf file to deliver back to your client, you need to create a "book", which includes all the single FM files. Once you have assembled all the FM files in the right order, you can "print" the book to file.

Important: when printing a book to file, FM defaults the output file to "prn" (i.e: mybook.prn). I strongly suggest you to change that extension in "ps" (i.e.: mybook.ps) Once you've done that, open Acrobat Distiller (free program from Adobe) and select the .ps file to "distill" the file to create a .pdf file.

Do not forget to install a Distiller printer in your system, otherwise you won't be able to create a .pdf file. HTH
Collapse

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 31, 2007

Thank you Gianni.
It sounds complicated, but I guess I will have to study this a bit. My weekend - favorite

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 15:18
English to Thai
+ ...
FrameMaker 7.0 (FM) and indirect handling with Trados Mar 31, 2007

I would like to add that you should read forums in Proz.com and Trados about how to use this FM application. I got a number of idea about using mouse scroll utility, translation of special characters, conversion of Unicode fonts, recreating of table of contents, index and cross references, FM incompatible Asian fonts etc.
That is, translators use Trados to translate FM filles in many instance. Trados makes it easier to work with DTP files.
Regards,

Soonthon L.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 31, 2007

Thanks to you too, Soonthon.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using Adobe FrameMaker 7.0 for DTP work

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »