Ana Naglić
Ana Naglić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 15:10
Member (2005)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Oct 20, 2005

I have just started my second BA degree - in Chinese. We have Chinese lecturers from China. Do you have any advice for a beginner? Thank you in advance.

Seaguest
Seaguest  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 21:10
English to Chinese
my opinion Oct 20, 2005

I don't think that I can help you. But I think the process you study Chinese is exactly like that of learning any other languages. first, You should know basic vocabulary and general grammar rules; and then you should attempt to enhance your understanding through reading and talking with other people. Unfortunately, Chinese is not a language that you can realize every word's connotations literally. You have to understand Chinese people's minds before you can know what they are referring to. Stud... See more
I don't think that I can help you. But I think the process you study Chinese is exactly like that of learning any other languages. first, You should know basic vocabulary and general grammar rules; and then you should attempt to enhance your understanding through reading and talking with other people. Unfortunately, Chinese is not a language that you can realize every word's connotations literally. You have to understand Chinese people's minds before you can know what they are referring to. Study of Chinese is an arduous but interesting challenge. It is a way to the spirit of Chinese people. If you really want to master Chinese, you have to know its culture, history, people at the same time, not only the language itself. Good luck for you.Collapse

Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:10
English to Chinese
+ ...
Nice Choice Oct 20, 2005

Hi Ana,

Chinese is a good choice. I think you should pay close attention to its pronunciation - the four tones are unique.

Ana Nagli?wrote:

I have just started my second BA degree - in Chinese. We have Chinese lecturers from China. Do you have any advice for a beginner? Thank you in advance.

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Five minutes a day for Chinese Oct 20, 2005

Hi Ana,

What I found most important in studying Chinese was to keep a consistent schedule for my studies at home. Make sure you have five or ten minutes EVERY DAY that you use for your Chinese studies. Repeat what you did in class that day or the days before, copy characters from your textbook and write each one ten times, try to compose your own sentences, write down questions that you may have for your lecturers.

You might like to get hold of a copy of Wenlin, a reall
... See more
Hi Ana,

What I found most important in studying Chinese was to keep a consistent schedule for my studies at home. Make sure you have five or ten minutes EVERY DAY that you use for your Chinese studies. Repeat what you did in class that day or the days before, copy characters from your textbook and write each one ten times, try to compose your own sentences, write down questions that you may have for your lecturers.

You might like to get hold of a copy of Wenlin, a really good Chinese/English dictionary software. It does not only contain Chinese characters and words, but also idioms, a little history of some of the characters, stroke orders, etc. Ask your lectures for it. They should know the product. The name is composed of "wen" (as in "wenxue" = literature) and "lin" (as in forest).

Enjoy your studies. Chinese is a beautiful language!

Good luck,
Stefanie

[Edited at 2005-10-20 18:30]
Collapse

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 01:10
Chinese to English
Good idea Oct 20, 2005

I agree with what others have said. There are some good Chinese linguists from the old Yugoslavia, many of them studied in China. The language is interesting and enjoyable to learn. Language learning itself is interesting, follow your instincts. It is primarily about learning to do things rather than studying something. It is worth-while working on pronunciation. And I can't recommend highly enough spending time in China if you get the chance. It will give you context, and it will give you cred... See more
I agree with what others have said. There are some good Chinese linguists from the old Yugoslavia, many of them studied in China. The language is interesting and enjoyable to learn. Language learning itself is interesting, follow your instincts. It is primarily about learning to do things rather than studying something. It is worth-while working on pronunciation. And I can't recommend highly enough spending time in China if you get the chance. It will give you context, and it will give you credibility later on.It may also give you a lifelong interest.

Best wishes
Collapse

Deborah Cady (X)
Deborah Cady (X)
Chinese to English
Suggestion for studying characters Oct 20, 2005

Hi Anna,

I think everyone has made very good suggestions, so I'd just like to add one more. Since you are going for a BA in Chinese, I assume you are learning to read and write as well as speak. I suggest setting aside at least 15 minutes, preferably more, 5-6 days a week to practice writing the characters. First learn new ones, then review the others you have learned previously. I did this, and it made it extremely easy to remember them. It also makes reading and writing Chinese fe
... See more
Hi Anna,

I think everyone has made very good suggestions, so I'd just like to add one more. Since you are going for a BA in Chinese, I assume you are learning to read and write as well as speak. I suggest setting aside at least 15 minutes, preferably more, 5-6 days a week to practice writing the characters. First learn new ones, then review the others you have learned previously. I did this, and it made it extremely easy to remember them. It also makes reading and writing Chinese feel very natural in a very short period of time. I wish you the best of luck in your studies, I'm sure you'll enjoy it - Chinese is a really beautiful and fun language, and the people are wonderful! ^_^

Deborah
Collapse

Ana Naglić
Ana Naglić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2005)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 15, 2005

Thank you all for your replies, they were most helpful!

Angus Woo
Angus Woo
Chinese to English
+ ...
Be systematic Dec 16, 2005

First, you need to find out your weak spots. I think your tutor should be able to help. Then you need to come up with a plan for each course and stick to it.

Repeat the process all over again when you start a new course.

[Edited at 2005-12-20 01:28]

LRL
LRL
English to Chinese
It's quite a work I should say. Dec 19, 2005

Chinese is much more difficult to accept by alphabetic language speakers than alphabetic language accepted by Chinese, which is developed from hieroglyphic characters.

David Shen
David Shen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:10
English to Chinese
+ ...
Practicing calligraphy may help in the long run. Dec 19, 2005

LRL wrote:

Chinese is much more difficult to accept by alphabetic language speakers than alphabetic language accepted by Chinese, which is developed from hieroglyphic characters.

Practicing calligraphy with an ink ladden brush may help, although it can seem to be a waste of time at first. But the fun of it as a scribble game of semi-abstract painting may help loosen your brain and body at the same time and get to the essense of this language which bases so much of itself in the visual qualities. Hope you can find fun trying it and if you do, stick to it, at least a couple of times per week.

David Shen
David Shen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:10
English to Chinese
+ ...
The weight of calligraphy in the language and culture is much heavier. Dec 19, 2005

To LRL:

Hi,
If you look at the golden calligraphy with red background above your post, with the upside down single character "Fu", and ask why, there is much to be learned as to why Mr. Angus places this character upside down. Hope I got you interested in trying a Chinese brush!

---
To Angus:

Hi Angus,
早就想跟你说你的"瘦金体"写得真不错.由
... See more
To LRL:

Hi,
If you look at the golden calligraphy with red background above your post, with the upside down single character "Fu", and ask why, there is much to be learned as to why Mr. Angus places this character upside down. Hope I got you interested in trying a Chinese brush!

---
To Angus:

Hi Angus,
早就想跟你说你的"瘦金体"写得真不错.由原来的白纸黑字换成大红大喜之色更合时宜.近年回大陆始见有街头用泥金书写春联者.我在国內时书家都只用墨汁,还很少有泥金供应.如今也应有尽有了.而港台可能过年过节一直有这一传统.是吗?
Collapse

Angus Woo
Angus Woo
Chinese to English
+ ...
嘻嘻, 我那個字是抄襲的. Dec 20, 2005

David Shen wrote:
To Angus:

Hi Angus,
早就想跟你说你的"瘦金体"写得真不错.由原来的白纸黑字换成大红大喜之色更合时宜.近年回大陆始见有街头用泥金书写春联者.我在国內时书家都只用墨汁,还很少有泥金供应.如今也应有尽有了.而港台可能过年过节一直有这一传统.是吗?

對啊,對啊,換顏色就是為了應節. 大家都要過年了,紅色才喜慶啊.:)

泥金香港確實一直是有的.台灣就不敢說,沒有在台灣過過年,估計也應該是有的.這個要問文哲,他應該知道的.

其實香港很多傳統的東西都保留得比國內還好,舉個例子:即使今天年輕人結婚都依然要向老人啊,長輩們下跪斟茶的,誰先誰後都是有要求的. 過年的應節糕餅啊什麼的,都比國內多,這些年內地也在學了,很多也慢慢在恢復.說實話好多規矩,我都記不全,長輩們才曉得,舊的禮數還是蠻厲害的呢,家族的人口越多規距越多,到了那些圍村裡面就更厲害. 這些規矩的本意其實就是無聲的語言,讓人掌握尊卑分寸而已,不要逾矩,比如倒茶的手勢就有區別.

迷信也是有的,香港有很多的酒樓師父,為了送迎灶君,年初四前是不動火的,所以那幾天酒樓要關門.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

BA in Chinese

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »