Working with a client
Thread poster: KorTranz
KorTranz
KorTranz  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:54
English to Korean
+ ...
Jan 11, 2007

I typically work with translation agencies, but I ran into a client who would like to work with me directly. Of course, I said yes. This is good for both me and the client!! But how do you get paid? How does an end client typically pay an agency? Is it okay to ask the client to pay within 30 days after the completion of the project, as if I am getting paid by an agency? How do these translation agencies get paid by their clients? Any insights?

Oh, would you worry about "legal"
... See more
I typically work with translation agencies, but I ran into a client who would like to work with me directly. Of course, I said yes. This is good for both me and the client!! But how do you get paid? How does an end client typically pay an agency? Is it okay to ask the client to pay within 30 days after the completion of the project, as if I am getting paid by an agency? How do these translation agencies get paid by their clients? Any insights?

Oh, would you worry about "legal" issues? I think we are typcially sheltered by legal terms established by the agencies.
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:54
English to Dutch
+ ...
Contract Jan 11, 2007

You should try to get some sort of contract, signed by the client. You can include the arrangements you're asking about.

KorTranz wrote:

- But how do you get paid?

Directly into your bankaccount is safest, I guess. But that's up to you.

- How does an end client typically pay an agency?
I've no idea.

- Is it okay to ask the client to pay within 30 days after the completion of the project, as if I am getting paid by an agency?
Of course it is, especially if you include this in the contract.

- How do these translation agencies get paid by their clients? Any insights?
Same way you get paid, of course. Just a bit more

- Oh, would you worry about "legal" issues? I think we are typcially sheltered by legal terms established by the agencies.

That's why you need to get a signed contract before you start the work. By the way, working with an agency doesn't make that much of a difference. What do you do if they don't pay you?

Good luck!

KorTranz
KorTranz  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:54
English to Korean
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Payment dilemma Jan 11, 2007

Thanks, Margreet!

It's difficult to assess how promptly a new client will pay. I guess that is why maintaining a good relationship with long-term clients is important. Would requiring 1/2 upfront and the rest after the project is done be okay? Or, do you think that it is an accounting hassle? Do you think it shows more professionalism to send out an invoice after the project is complete? I wouldn't mind getting paid 100% upfront, but no one will agree to that! ...
See more
Thanks, Margreet!

It's difficult to assess how promptly a new client will pay. I guess that is why maintaining a good relationship with long-term clients is important. Would requiring 1/2 upfront and the rest after the project is done be okay? Or, do you think that it is an accounting hassle? Do you think it shows more professionalism to send out an invoice after the project is complete? I wouldn't mind getting paid 100% upfront, but no one will agree to that!
Collapse

Ilona Kangro
Ilona Kangro  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 05:54
Member (2006)
Latvian to English
+ ...
PO, then Invoice Jan 11, 2007

Just issue them an invoice stating the payment deadline after the completion of the work. Before you start translating at all, ask the client to provide a payment order. Even if it is just via e-mail, it already provides a significant proof of your agreement. There is always a possibility that they will not pay, but take a risk. In most cases people DO pay. Good luck!

Katie01
Katie01  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:54
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Find out about the company procedures too! Jan 12, 2007

Just one other thing to add, you need to find out how the company works with issuing order numbers, and how you will invoice. If it is a company with a separate Accounts department, then you need the name of the contact in that department so that you can send the invoice in correctly. Also, as another example, for one direct client I have to also send in a delivery note which quotes their order number, otherwise the "goods" don't get booked in through their system, and my invoice is never clea... See more
Just one other thing to add, you need to find out how the company works with issuing order numbers, and how you will invoice. If it is a company with a separate Accounts department, then you need the name of the contact in that department so that you can send the invoice in correctly. Also, as another example, for one direct client I have to also send in a delivery note which quotes their order number, otherwise the "goods" don't get booked in through their system, and my invoice is never cleared for payment.

Good Luck!
Kathryn
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working with a client

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »